Model Cars Magazine Forum

round2 archives

No, it is in fact the original annual kit. Its has the plate type chassis whereas the funny car version utilized the familiar AWB "Rat Packer" style chassis. The custom interior cover with streamlined headrest was a custom option in the original kit.

No, it is in fact the original annual kit. Its has the plate type chassis whereas the funny car version utilized the familiar AWB "Rat Packer" style chassis. The custom interior cover with streamlined headrest was a custom option in the original kit.

The tooling must be incomplete then...no stock hood, no windshield frame on the body, no stock wheels..it's not the stock kit.

Edited by Rob Hall

Stock wheelcovers are there:

post-12159-0-99861900-1406766849.jpg

Wheel backs, bucket seats and stock hood are missing.

The label at the top is hard to read, but partly legible is "Poor"/"Rust all over". :(

Anyone have an unbuilt stock F-85 with the parts on the trees that could be laid out and photographed to match this?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

I have the hardtop kit.The stock hood,wheel backings,and all four bucket seats are on the same parts tree.

It looks like it only has one Judson supercharger.They should be located beside the stock rear bumper and taillight panel.

It looks like everything else is there.The twin intakes,twin Weber carbs,blower belt,and all four blower end caps.The end caps are located under the stock rear bumper.

Also, the custom taillight bezel is missing.It should be located under the blower end caps.

I think they could restore this one.

I replied and suggested that if they are restoring the body, they might as well do a first year '64 442 instead of a Cutlass. I was wondering if it would be a good idea if it had a roof like the '65 GTO where a convertible a hardtop possible?

See? This all goes back to what I've said before about giving us hobbyists some definitive information about what molds do and don't exist so we'll know what to ask for. I'd really like to see what's up with the '61 Ford convertible that was last reissued in the late sixties; ditto the '59 Buick and '62 Galaxie hardtops that were also reissued then, at the same time as cars that we do know the molds survive today ('61 Styline Galaxie coupe, '62 Buick Electra, '61 Ranchero).

I do appreciate that they've given us this tidbit.

Well, I went to the source and asked about the four kits I mentioned, plus the other Craftsman series promo tools, and got a response from JohnG:

Hi Chris, unfortunately, to my knowledge, all the items you mention are long gone. I have not found any evidence of those particular items still being in existence. I'm quite sure they would have been reissued by now and I truly wish we still had them!

So at least if I dig up any of those kits, I won't feel bad about paying a premium for them.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Be great if they could re-issue this...

69,71 Impala HT

70,71 Vega

64 Buick Wildcat

66 Buick Skylark GS

63 Buick Electra

66-69 Falcons

64,67,68,69,70 Bonneville HTs

69-72 Grand Prix

71 Pontiac Sprint II

74,75 Firebird or TA

65 Mercury Parklane

60-63 Ford pickups

71-76 Dodge vans....just a thought.

Edited by disabled modeler

69,71 Impala HT Likely converted to 70 and 72-73 respectively

70,71 Vega Likely converted to 74

64 Buick Wildcat

66 Buick Skylark GS Detail converted to Mod Stocker. Craftsman may be around

63 Buick Electra

66-69 Falcons Converted for each model year, then 69 converted to Mod Stocker

64,67,68,69,70 Bonneville HTs 67 converted to 68. 69 converted to 70

69-72 Grand Prix Early years converted to later years. 72 used for Fonzie thing.

71 Pontiac Sprint II

74,75 Firebird or TA Converted to 77-79

65 Mercury Parklane Converted to 66

60-63 Ford pickups Would kill for these, perhaps converted to later promo?

71-76 Dodge vans Yearly conversions, windows dumped p 71

69,71 Impala HT Likely converted to 70 and 72-73 respectively

70,71 Vega Likely converted to 74

64 Buick Wildcat

66 Buick Skylark GS Detail converted to Mod Stocker. Craftsman may be around

63 Buick Electra

66-69 Falcons Converted for each model year, then 69 converted to Mod Stocker

64,67,68,69,70 Bonneville HTs 67 converted to 68. 69 converted to 70

69-72 Grand Prix Early years converted to later years. 72 used for Fonzie thing.

71 Pontiac Sprint II

74,75 Firebird or TA Converted to 77-79

65 Mercury Parklane Converted to 66

60-63 Ford pickups Would kill for these, perhaps converted to later promo?

71-76 Dodge vans Yearly conversions, windows dumped p 71

That is a huge bummer but maybe there is hope for the others someday???

Can someone explain Round 2 to me? I have been pretty bummed with the AMT kits I have gotten, they seem to have a ton of flash and require an absurd amount of prep, but I like the subjects. Is Round 2 re-tooling everything they release, or only some of them?

The 66 Nova PS I had a lot of trouble with.

Edited by Quick GMC

Can someone explain Round 2 to me?

Round 2 is a company that started out leasing the AMT molds (including Ertl and MPC) from Learning Curve/RC2. At the end of the licensing agreement, Round 2 opted to purchase the molds from RC2. Since then, Round 2 has added Polar Lights as well as Lindberg and Hawk. They own all the tooling for those companies and are reissuing whatever is complete, it seems. Some tools are fixed up if they need to be, with some parts being restored or added from previous versions. Some of the kits haven't been issued in decades, some have. Not entirely sure how they are picking what to produce.