Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best Dash Boards , your opinion with pictures please.

I'm not sure of the year and don't have a pic but when I was a kid my uncle had an Oldsmobile that the faster you drove the speedometer would change color from green to orange to red the faster you went. As a kid that fascinated me to no end anybody know what Oldsmobile I'm talking about? I know it was mid to late 50's maybe early 60's

I've owned a lot of cars, but my favorite dash was the one in my '60 Chrysler Windsor. That big "gumball" with the tiered gauges and the radial speedo dial with the glowing green numerals as the centerpiece, with arrays of chrome pushbuttons with backlit transparent green centers was a sight to behold! They used this design from '60 through '62.

dash_lighting_1.jpgattachment.jpg2139164303_413e6c473c.jpg

I'd have to agree.....Even though my '62 Tbird has a cool one too

Aston DB5 (without the secret agent extras...)

fs_1963_Aston_Martin_DB5_dash.jpg

Bentley Continental S1

57_Bentley_Continental_S1_DV-06_PBI_0INT

BMW 507:

SE50-DTA-BMW-507-0270-Interior_1.jpg

Bugatti Atlantique

bugatti-type-57sc-atlantic_17LwQMr.jpg

And just to prove it's not only old-timers that I like:

5205.png

The Huayra...

bestest,

M.

OMG, it's Vegas on wheels! (referring to the last pic)

Edited by oldscool

I'm not sure of the year and don't have a pic but when I was a kid my uncle had an Oldsmobile that the faster you drove the speedometer would change color from green to orange to red the faster you went. As a kid that fascinated me to no end anybody know what Oldsmobile I'm talking about? I know it was mid to late 50's maybe early 60's

My 1960 Buick had that speedometer. Instead of a needle, the it had a line that filled up red to the speed you were going. The numbers were above the line. Inside there was a round cylinder with the red / black line on it that would turn to provide the red line.

For my money, this dash cannot be beaten! 1932 Duesenberg Model J dashboard:

1932_Duesenberg_J_dashboard.jpg

It had it all, for its time (and really for modern times as well!) Tachometer, speedometer, gas gauge, temperature gauge, ammeter, chronograph (very sophisticated Swiss-made clock) oil-pressure gauge, and probably the very first to feature "idiot lights" (two red ones on the left--one to tell the driver it was time for an oil change (back in the days of primitive oil and only superficial oil filters, every 500 miles) and the other to tell the driver when it was time to add distilled water to the battery. On the right were two green lights, one indicating that the generator was working properly, and the other flashing on to let the driver know that the engine-driven Bijur lubrication pump was sending oil to all the chassis lubrication points every couple of hundred miles.

All that contained in a cast aluminum dash, with damascened (engine-turned faceplate), first introduced in 1929.

Art

Although the cars themselves have been pretty much relegated to the dust bin of history, the 1960 & 1961 Dodge dashboards are one of my all time favorites. with the "see through" speedo & push button trans, not to mention the transparent steering wheels & that wild star shaped steering wheel on the '60, they should at least garner an honorable mention for being one of the most unusual! :) All of the Mopars from the late 50s & early 60s were definitely something that would be remembered at the very least! Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I've owned a lot of cars, but my favorite dash was the one in my '60 Chrysler Windsor. That big "gumball" with the tiered gauges and the radial speedo dial with the glowing green numerals as the centerpiece, with arrays of chrome pushbuttons with backlit transparent green centers was a sight to behold! They used this design from '60 through '62.

2139164303_413e6c473c.jpg

X2. The glass dome, the pushbuttons, I'm a big fan of the whole retro futurism. Glad you posted those.