Model Cars Magazine Forum

Never thought it would happen!

• 2 weeks later...

Robert, You couldn't be more right, most of my peers expect things to be handed to them, kids are jealous of my car and think its not fair I have something they don't. The reality of it is that they just expect their parents to buy them a cool car, pay for their gas, their insurance, and the usual maintenance without them having to lift a finger, I bought my race car and now I've sold the little chevy luv I had to work towards getting a 3/4 ton truck and flatbed trailer so I can tow my car to and from the track without my dad having to drive his truck and use his trailer which cost money. Kids these days are best described as lazy.

Jason, I think it's always been that way. When I was your age back in the 1970s, I started my own lawn business. I bought my own lawn mower and started mowing the lawns in my neighborhood when I was 14. The first year mowed 10 lawns a week with a power push mower. I took those earnings and bought a small riding mower so I could do more. That doubled my production. Kids in the neighborhood got jealous a wanted a piece of the action. I saw that if I had help, someone running after me with the push mower and trimmers, I could move faster on the tractor. So I hired kids at an hourly wage to help. None lasted more than a day or two... back breaking work they said!

Their parents were enablers for their lazy kids. One father came yelling at me that I needed to "take turns" driving the tractor with his Jimmy. Another called my father complaining that I was taking advantage of his kid and I needed to "split the earnings" with him. Um no. Business 101. I started the business, I bought and maintained all the equipment and I had the contracts! After that I stopped trying to get help and just did the volume I could do myself.