Model Cars Magazine Forum

STEVE SCOTT ,A.KA . [ UNCERTAIN T ]

I hate that my first posting here has to be negative, but having tried to help the guy out when he first popped back up from wherever he has been for the last 40 years, I can say with "certainT" that "all new better than Monogram ever made Un-certainT kits" made by Steve Scott will never exist... its just his newest scam

I have to agree with Jeff, Steve Scott will NEVER get a new kit done......EVER. I love the Uncertain T, and would love to get an original kit someday, but won't hold out for him to do it. It was cool at first when he finally came out of hiding after all these years, but after seeing him turn into a pathetic beggar, I lost the hype real quick. Not interested in his foolish dreams anymore.

Here is one of the images I put together for him when he first popped up... funny enough, a month ago after I questioned him about how he could possibly be having this image embroidered on hats (after I bought one), he confessed that he didn't actually have any finished hats and that they hadn't figured out how to even embroider it on hat... the last scam he was trying, selling hats that didn't exist and never would.

After having a fit, because I told him he was going about his new public relations all wrong if he wanted to sell any merch, he pulled the design down... which is good for me:)... and since I have seen that he has pulled all the rest down too.

For any of you guys that love the kit though, this image was designed with you in mind:)

post-14612-0-45058500-1414017849_thumb.j

• Like 1

At minimum not having done the hats makes it pretty hard to figure out a price. This is either total lack of business sense or just running a scam. Although crowding funding isn't without risk it forces the person to have a business plan and know what the costs will be and the people funding the project know what they will get.

Side note on the hats that drawing looks like it would work well for the ball caps and shirts with the photo image. Don't se it being done with embroidery.

haha... yes, after asking for it he reluctantly did pay me for the image... but then tried to modify it into more images (with out my logo on them) . He was having some company direct to garment printing them 1 at a time, in Texas I think??? so he no money invested in any stock... same thing he was going to try with the hats but there simply in no possible way to embroider this kind of image with any quality in it.. a print may have worked.... and yes, he did refund me back the $26 I paid for the hat...

.... It is too bad because I always loved that car, and would truly liked to have been able to help the guy out (like many others Im sure). He is shyster though.... and as many have already said, the begging for money and sponsorships and free attorney's to sue people over things he would have no case for anyway, wears thin quick. There is obviously a good reason why the current owner of the car wants nothing to do with him.... I suspect someday soon though, the real car is going to resurface.. or at least a few pictures of it:)

>If the kit comes out as it is now being talked about, $25 might cover the shipping cost, not the kit cost

evidently you did not read the web page. the price of the kit is 25$ if you preorder it now, and it increases over the 500 copies he says he is going to be making. then the actual postage will be billed via paypal invoice if and when something is produced and shipped. i don't believe there is an option to increase the price for a kit that is preordered.

I know the guy, ive corresponded with him a number of times and though I know he has a bug up his butt over some licensing something or other, he seems fairly on the level to me. he lives in Hawaii and I know what that can do to you, good and bad. I know this plan sounds pretty extraordinary but I am willing to put down a few bucks to help it along and hopefully see a couple of kits. I will build one and sell the other, which will be autographed by Steve Scott himself (whoop-de-doo but there you have it), for 200$. or it never will happen and at least i know i donated the small amount to a fairly worthwhile cause, because i have always liked that car, got two buildups of it and want to build one myself.

and those guys in aussie land are pirates in a way, but the tradition of the resin world has always seemed to be if it was out of production it was fair game. evidently he doesn't see it that way. that's his prerogative in my book.

ps: if i followed them correctly, i believe he sold a number of NOS Uncertain T kits on ebay for pretty astronomical prices. so he has got some money, and there would definitely seem to be a market out there for this kits return.

jb

Edited by jbwelda

Trust me William, he doesn't have any money, let alone the kind of money it takes to make a new kit. He sold one kit to a guy I personally know, for less than a grand, the other 2 went for much less .... I too have talked with him several times, and "level headed" is not the feeling I ever got from him.

here are a few things to also consider about this new scam he has going... as he has many times himself pointed out, the Aussie guys are ripping off Monogram, not Steve Scott.. so if he ever did actually create a new kit, he too would be ripping off Monogram (which I'm sure would be more than happy to send out the "cease and desist" to him) ... Steve does not own the car, does not own the name, and does not own the rights... he is quick to proclaim on line some kind of "copyright" he supposedly has but when pressed privately he will finally admit he has nothing, not a copyright, not a patent, and not a trademark.... if you have given him money you may as well have thrown it away.

well, we will see. i will attempt to keep the place apprised of any progress.

note though he offers a money back guarantee if you want to pull out at any time. that might be the penultimate test: see if he actually refunds money when asked. personally i know i am "investing" my money in a possibly shaky situation, but like i said, its worth the small donation to have a ticket on the ride. its not really gonna bother me either way.

you do have an interesting point on who is ripping off who but just as "legit" resin companies reissue out of production kits and parts, it would seem he would have the same privilege to do his own car, without regard to it actually having been his own car.

jb

I completely agree... he should have as much right as anyone else to do resin (or injection if that is what he says) kits of his former car like all the other folks doing that kind of thing.. my only thought is that it seems very disingenuine to be even talking about doing that after he has made so many allegations against anyone doing anything even remotely similar. I genuinely hope the folks giving him money see something in return for it, but from I have read about his plan on how this is going to happen... it is seriously flawed.

Laying out a phony "empty" new model box is one thing, filling it with an all new real model kit is something else completely. :-)

Cool:).... I'm glad you dig it, I put a fair amount of time into that design:).... I never did get a copy of it but was really interested in how good the direct printing looks.. almost everything I do for myself is screen print... is it holding up well?...

And please don't get me wrong on Steve.. chances are he is a decent guy just trying to get back in the lime light.

Besides this whole model car fiasco, I've always found it wild beyond imagination ( and reason ) , that it would have been possible for one person such as him, to accomplish alone, the tasks & talent needed to pull off a hot rod like this. I know of no one who would have been able to plan & execute something of this caliber, gathering the funds needed to do this, at age 17 mind you, is an amazing feat in itself.Then, think of having the knowledge to complete each component, the Buick nailhead, the frame work, wiring, driveline, scratchbuilt body, and then of course, to put it all together, make it work & show worthy.. :huh: I know there will always be talented people out there, but I really find it hard to believe that only one person could pull this off, it's very odd that he's never mentioned, or given credit to anyone else.He's said that he grew up broke, so how does a 17 year old in the 1960's build such a car ? ......... AND ........ you'd think that after buiding the UT, he would have gone and built a few more cars; instead of dropping out of the custom car scene, dropping off the planet & then showing up decades later; to try & pick up where he left off. .It's all really strange & truly pathetic.. -_-

Edited by Krazy Rick

>instead of dropping out of the custom car scene, dropping off the planet & then showing up decades later

i chalk it up to the sixties; lots of people did that. cars, and particularly custom cars, were way off the radar for a whole lot of people who were formerly enchanted by them during that period. there were much more interesting and exciting things going on back then if you are old enough to remember. personally i thought i would never want an American car after that time of my life...and that turned out to be fairly correct but i did regain some interest in straight line racing and other greaser activities in later years.

jb

I have no dog in this race... I haven't seen his web page... all I can say is the math presented here doesn't make any sense. Just like offering embroidered hats for a set price and having no idea on how to produce them... nobody produces an injection molded new kit and sells 500 copies. You'd need to produce 5 to 10 times that quantity to break even.

Anybody that knows anything, knows that:)... somehow he has conned 200 folks into giving him $5000 so far though... for an imaginary kit that will possibly be available sometime after next July at the earliest (never)... so far with out producing a single thing, and by his own admission with out even having the knowledge to produce anything he has made a pretty fair amount of cash.

Steve Scott has been one of the most entertaining shows on the interwebs for awhile now and I can't wait to see how this episode ends.

I suspect what happens is around this time next year Steve disappears again, forever. He has taken too much money now and by the time its clear that he can not produce what he has been selling, folks are going to start asking for a refund... and he will have already spent everyone's money.... and that will be the last anyone hears from Steve Scott

i am willing to put further money on the possibility that he lives up to his words. sometimes you just got to take a chance to get something you want. i am one willing to take the chance particularly when it involves roughly 1/4 what the kit brings on ebay with regularity.

time will tell

jb

I agree with those that say the mathematics prove to project impossible. The price of a house is required to do an injected plastic kit and I suspect $25 is way to low for resin. $40 is the bottom price most resin kits that are not complete, meaning transkit.

I am guessing he hopes to get enough money to buy a 3D printer and crank them out that way. I used to do AutoCad and can say computer drawing is not something you learn over night.

I hope nobody loses any money and it actually works out.

Can't see that the 3d printer would work. Just the time to print a single kit would be staggering. Second the printing material isn't cheap either. Third the print quality isn't there for 25th scale in the home or commercial 3d printers.

There is no way to make this work.

Quite frankly everyone wants to credit this guy as being a con man but I doubt that. In reality this guy just doesn't undrrstand what it takes to make this or any business venture work. That dooms any possibility of this working.

It

Anyone wanting an uncertain T would have a better chance taking the 25 dollars and buying lottery tickets and winning enough to buy an original kit.

I think the original link in this thread has been edited out by the author so here it is:

http://www.stevescottsuncertaint.com/main.html

jb

Yeah, from that link.

I’m SERIOUSLY looking for Sponsors to help me move back

to the mainland so that I can go to car shows and other events

all over the USA, build another Uncertain-T, make a documentary

produce all new and better model kits, and much, MUCH more!

If this might be you, your company, or someone you know,

Please go to my Sponsors page for full information here.

So he's looking for people to pay him to move to the states? So that he can go to car shows for a car he no longer owns? Seriously?

Hey guys, now I'M looking for sponsors to pay me so that I can stay home and build models. :lol:Sound about right? Wow. This guy is seriously lost in fantasyland.

William, I admire your loyalty and your hope that this guy is a man of his word, but I think you might be disappointed here.

Edited by Jantrix

Yeah, from that link.

So he's looking for people to pay him to move to the states? So that he can go to car shows for a car he no longer owns? Seriously?

Hey guys, now I'M looking for sponsors to pay me so that I can stay home and build models. :lol:Sound about right? Wow. This guy is seriously lost in fantasyland.

William, I admire your loyalty and your hope that this guy is a man of his word, but I think you might be disappointed here.

Yea the bit about looking for sponsors to pay for moving him back to the states raises some flags for me. Using the above link, I didn't notice from where he located now. Maybe if I hit the other links on that page I'd find out. But, just reading the one page hold me everything I needed to know about this guy. Thankfully I have no desire to add an Uncertain T to collection.

Scott (Aho)