Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Revell should put out as Kits...

Revell announced that they are bring out the Chip Foose 68 Firebird as a kit. I got this bad feeling that it's just going to be a re-release of the old 68 Firebird kit with maybe a new set of crappy wheels. I hope I'm wrong and they did a new tooling.

Revell has a good idea.. but I would like to see them go one step further and create the following Chip Foose creations as new tooling model kits:

chip-foose12.jpg

chip-foose7.jpg

chip-foose8.jpg

chip-foose10.jpg

chip-foose16.jpg

Revell announced that they are bring out the Chip Foose 68 Firebird as a kit. I got this bad feeling that it's just going to be a re-release of the old 68 Firebird kit with maybe a new set of crappy wheels. I hope I'm wrong and they did a new tooling.

It's going to be their 1/25 '68 Firebird 400 kit with new wheels and tires, maybe some lowered suspension pieces, and likely the drag parts no longer included. I think this has been known/assumed since they announce this kit and the '67 Coronet as part of a new "Foose" series of kits.

As far as all-new kits of customs/rods go, the upcoming Rat Roaster will be the litmus test for such kits IMHO. If it sells well, we can look forward to another "from scratch" custom/rod/street machine type kit in 2013/2014. maybe even something Chip Foose designed.

I'm still not sure what to think about these Foose kits... didn't his popularity ship sail off about a half decade ago? It would be interesting to see why people intend to buy these kits- for the new parts or the Foose name on the box.

That being said- any one of the subjects Felix suggested would eventually be welcomed onto my workbench. I'm a bit leery of Revell tackling an E-Body Mopar, though, given their track recent track record with that particular subject. :unsure: But Revell does seem to have an uncanny knack for making some pretty good hot rod and street rod kits. If the upcoming Rat Roaster is any indication of their intents (not to mention their recent reissues of several street rod kits), I wonder if Revell plans to bring out more hot rod kits in the future. If those are successful, and given the fact that Revell has established a working relationship with Foose and his marketing people, who knows? Maybe they'll put out a few new-tool kits based on Foose designs. I think it would be a very good thing, though keep in mind I'm hoping more for his high-end street rods than the 'Overhauled' muscle car stuff.

I just received an update today on my fb page from "The Official Chip Foose" that in September they are going to be releasing a Revell version of the 68 Pontiac Firebird from season 3 of Overhaulin'. I'm a big fan of Foose's work and the show as I'm sure a lot of you are so I thought I'd share with everyone. Not sure what they'll go for but I'll be keep my open for it. I'm sure it'll be a good kit, the box art looks pretty killer.

Take a look, lmk what you think

ad28f70f85f7102a39b0e1cd07f2b165.jpg

His paint work is badass !!! I find everything else to be too formulaic. Same chip foose embroidered seats, and the wheels all start to look the same after awhile. At least the cars from the TV program. Never seen any orginal works. But super nice talented man from most accounts. At any rate. I always wanted to buy this one, but haven't seen any at the swap meets. I will have to buy this.

It would be interesting to see why people intend to buy these kits- for the new parts or the Foose name on the box.

:lol: Need you ask? If this has radically lowered suspension and a modern power plant it will end up under sooooo many hot rods. :lol:

I like most of Chips work, with the exception of the side mirror deletion.

I'm pretty sure that's the same rendering he used on the show. I think he's got a whole line of models and toys coming out and with the way he is so particular and the way he designs things you would think revell would mold it exactly the way it should look and not just use the current firebird. That would be pretty lame.

I wonder how the Interior is going to look if it will be all custom or just stock with a few things here and there.

His paint work is badass !!! I find everything else to be too formulaic. Same chip foose embroidered seats, and the wheels all start to look the same after awhile. At least the cars from the TV program. Never seen any orginal works. But super nice talented man from most accounts. At any rate. I always wanted to buy this one, but haven't seen any at the swap meets. I will have to buy this.

Then again, we never saw West Coast Customs or Galpin Auto Sports build any of their nicer rides on "Pimp My Ride" Either.

This kit looks like the entire suspension will be re tooled. It's gonna be a refreshing take on this kit.

Edited by Skydime