Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Revell should put out as Kits...

• 1 month later...

I'd like to see some of the Tamiya/Fujimi out of print kits show up under the Revell name, preferrably the "High Mechanism" series that includes an engine. They make some incredible models, and not all of them are curbside or strictly Japanese, although the Toyota Supra line is really sweet. I know Tamiya still makes the MK3 and MK4 Supras but one is curbside (MK3) and the other is pretty costly (MK4). This is why Fujimi's OOP Hi-Mechs would be a nice addition to the Revell lineup.

10024294.jpg

fujimi-09.jpg

How about 1934 So Cal Coupe or Pierson Brothers Coupe? GMP made diecasts of those a while ago, but it'd be cool to see them in plastic.

I think the problem would be such a kit could only build it one way with that radical chop and laid back windshield, so sales would be very limited. Yes, you could kitbash the parts, but Revell'd be better off releasing a retro/traditional rod with a more streetable roof height, based on the Rat Roaster tooling.

I'd like to see some of the Tamiya/Fujimi out of print kits show up under the Revell name

Why wouldn't you want Fujimi just to reissue them? The only reboxed Fujimi kit under the Revell brand I recall seeing were the GT40 curbsides.

My personal top 5

1971 Dodge Challenger

I had such high hopes when Revell announced it's 1/25 '70, but being die-cast based it was a major disappointment. At least we can pin out hopes on future variants once the 1/25 '70 Hemi 'Cuda kit arrives in a few months.

I know everyone has their own personal "what I want", so I might as well throw mine in the mix too. It's my personal favorite and dream car...the 1970 GTO The Judge with the Ram Air IV 400. Like my avitar pic to the left. I'd like to see the level of detail that was put into the '72 Cutlass/442, but not as a convertible. I know there was a '70 GTO done by MPC years ago, but that was a terrible kit. I even got a resin trans kit, was cast from the MPC body, but it got crushed and using a '72 GTO as a donor kit...well I might as well buy the cruddy MPC kit. No thanks. Unfortunately, there probably wouldn't be a real high demand for it, but I'd buy plenty of them and build 1 in each available color.

How about they offer a "Correct 68'" dash in the 69 judge kit?...being they offer the 68' nose but no dash? wth revell? :blink:

I think the problem would be such a kit could only build it one way with that radical chop and laid back windshield, so sales would be very limited. Yes, you could kitbash the parts, but Revell'd be better off releasing a retro/traditional rod with a more streetable roof height, based on the Rat Roaster tooling.

Looking at my GMP diecast, I can see that they implemented the roof in a way that it a separate piece, explaining why there is also a roadster version based on those kits, pictured below.

g1802803_8.jpg

g1802803_1.jpg

So why not release a 2 in 1 kit with both chopped top and roadster top, named something like "Salt Flat Racer Special". Maybe even a third option with an unchopped top. Revell did something similar with 36 Ford Coupe/Convertible and I believe AMT did something similar with their 36 3 Window Coupe as well.

Just a thought.

Yup, you just have to find a Chevy grille and you're golden (granted it may not be the correct style for the year you want, especially '79/'80).

In my80malibu's defense, he asked for "a better 78/79 shortbed Chevy truck", and I'd have to agree. The Monogram kit looks decent sitting on a shelf, but time has passed it by, and the days of interior tubs with molded in seats, door panels, and armrest detail are thankfully over. I won't even mention there are no floorpans in any of Monogram's Chevy/GMC, Ford F-series, not Dodge Ramcharger kits. :huh:

I don't see a new series of '73-'86 GM/GMC pickup kits arriving for at least another decade, if ever, but they are definitely needed. In addition to the Monogram kit's shortcomings, the Revell kit(s) is even worse.

Why wouldn't you want Fujimi just to reissue them? The only reboxed Fujimi kit under the Revell brand I recall seeing were the GT40 curbsides.

It would be nice if they WOULD, but it doesn't seem like they want to. All the recently reissued Tamiya/Fujimi kits they're doing are the curbside ones, and even those are at a higher cost than American Revell kits. Don't get me wrong, the cost is negligible if they are made available here in the states, but that's IF they truly decide to release them here. A lot of the extra cost is the fact that they do come from overseas, not to mention the exorbitant costs that come from fleaBay.