Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Revell should put out as Kits...

I'm pretty sure that's the same rendering he used on the show. I think he's got a whole line of models and toys coming out and with the way he is so particular and the way he designs things you would think revell would mold it exactly the way it should look and not just use the current firebird. That would be pretty lame.

I wonder how the Interior is going to look if it will be all custom or just stock with a few things here and there.

Chip will only put his name on it if revell makes it exactly the way he designed it, and drew it!

Yes I have gotten his Autograph on several items over the years, But my Daughter has gotten atleast three times as many! I just like to talk to him about Hot Rods!

I first met Chip when he was designing all of Boyd's cars for him. I have known Sam Foose for a very long time!

I suspect the preverbal chunk of coal in the Christmas stocking with these Foose kits.

We all know how long it takes for Revell to get a new tool to market. This thing was just announced in June and 2 1/2 months later (meaning it was produced in less than 60 days) it's on the shelves? If you get something beyond new wheels, some decals and maaaaybe some modified suspension pieces...color me shocked.

I suspect the preverbal chunk of coal in the Christmas stocking with these Foose kits.

We all know how long it takes for Revell to get a new tool to market. This thing was just announced in June and 2 1/2 months later (meaning it was produced in less than 60 days) it's on the shelves? If you get something beyond new wheels, some decals and maaaaybe some modified suspension pieces...color me shocked.

Me too! I doubt there is a whole bunch of new stuff in here, just doesn't make economic sense.

Chip, has had several awar winners in the last few years! Chips show Overhaulng is one of the most popular Automotive shows on TV. It is on every Tuesday night on Velosity TV!

Yes, we know that, but it's running down. ALREADY these proposed Foose releases are late. Yes, they'll sell some, but Revell is late on a trend. Again. Much like AMT's 'Coddington' Series.

Chip will only put his name on it if revell makes it exactly the way he designed it, and drew it!

I sure hope so. And don't take this wrong as I'm one of those that miss Overhaulin' and like what he does to Production Cars, but on the show he'd do his rendering of what the final product would look like and in just about every case (this Firebird included) had a raked front windshield and top that had been chopped 2 or 3" that didn't happen to the real vehicle. Tom I hope you're right, but the drawing and final product differed and I expect to see a stock roof line on the Kit also.

I plan on buying both models, just for the rims, which I really hope will be included. I don't expect the models to be highly modified either, but I sure hope they are!

Has anyone tried getting his autograph at major car shows,the line is always way too long for me to stand and wait,thats how popular the guy is.

I got to meet Chip in Myrtle Beach a few years back, and got his autograph on one of my builds! We talked for about 2 minutes about the model and what inspired it, he was very cool!. I'll never wash this Firebird again! :D

ConceptFirebird0028-vi.jpg

ConceptFirebird0029-vi.jpg

I fully expect to see the same kit, with possible modified suspension, and good looking wheels riding skinny crappy tires. Maybe better seats, possible custom induction system. But, If we get anything other than the stock body, frame, and interior bucket, i will be totally surprised. Delieriously happy, but surprised.....

with CNC machines, a new too could be cut out in a week. especially if outsourced to Korea or China

Yup....glad someone made this point, although we in the States have every bit the capability to cut a tool quickly. And I'm still in the dark as to why so much tooling is outsourced overseas, because in the overall scheme of things, the actual cutting-of-the-tool cost is rather insignificant, in my mind at least, compared to the benefit to the product and market positioning that "proudly tooled in America" on the box could add. I'd pay a little more for that, frankly.

BUT, the final CNC machining of the tool depends entirely on the competence of the team that interprets any necessary design changes to portray the Foose version, imparts accurately to the CAD guys what the scope and desired outcome of the tool-changes will be, and quickly assembles and evaluates test-shots to provide feedback to fine-tune the tooling. This must be where the tremendous time-lag between the 'coming to a hobby store near you' announcement and the actual availability of the kits usually comes in.

The reality is Revell will not tool up a whole new kit when they have a perfectly good model kit tooling on the shelf. They will tool new wheels and maybe new tires and suspension pieces along any other specific parts to satisfy Chip's requirements. Beyond that, it will be the same kit that is available now. CAD/CAM and CNC machining costs money and Revell needs a good business plan before they invest the money and go ahead with new tooling and packaging for the Foose kits. Not only that, but Chip will want his piece of the pie before the product hits the shelf with his name on it. These kits are a marketing tool with new episodes of Overhaulin' coming in October and older episodes running on Velocity Channel right now.

That may be. But he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who cares. And if Revell can increase sales by doing some Foosed up kits, I'm all for it.

That may be. But he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who cares. And if Revell can increase sales by doing some Foosed up kits, I'm all for it.

Yep Ford tried that back in the day. Shelbied up Mustangs ? 1974-1975-1976-1977-1978-ford-mustang-21.jpg One would hope you'd get more than just the foose decals.