Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Revell should put out as Kits...

Yes, we know that, but it's running down. ALREADY these proposed Foose releases are late. Yes, they'll sell some, but Revell is late on a trend. Again. Much like AMT's 'Coddington' Series.

I don't know- I think AMT's Coddington kits were right on the ball as far as timing. The downside was that, well, the features they added to the kits just plain sucked for the most part. In this case I'm not too worried, when Revell adds new parts to an existing kit they tend not to 'half heart' it the way RC2 did.

Yes, we know that, but it's running down. ALREADY these proposed Foose releases are late. Yes, they'll sell some, but Revell is late on a trend. Again. Much like AMT's 'Coddington' Series.

There may be perfectly good reasons for Revell's perceived "lateness", and their timing couldn't be better if the '68 Firebird kits hits store shelves the last week of September-- one week before the new season of Overhaulin' premieres on TV. ;)

I don't know- I think AMT's Coddington kits were right on the ball as far as timing. The downside was that, well, the features they added to the kits just plain sucked for the most part. In this case I'm not too worried, when Revell adds new parts to an existing kit they tend not to 'half heart' it the way RC2 did.

I don't think any of the 1/25 kits matched anything Boyd's company built in 1:1, did they? I think the accurate replicas were done by Testors (Alumacoupe, Chezoom, Boydster, etc.) a few years before AMT jumped in.

There may be perfectly good reasons for Revell's perceived "lateness", and their timing couldn't be better if the '68 Firebird kits hits store shelves the last week of September-- one week before the new season of Overhaulin' premieres on TV. ;)

That will sell some I guess, but I still think Chip's popularity is waning. 2 years ago would have been better.

I've always liked Foose builds better than Coddington garbage.

l agree with that Jim. Revell has put out so many new special adidtion kit and for the price and quality l would have to say they have the biggest american market. l have to give them the benefit of dought.

Well here it is straight from the Revell Newsletter...

4905_68Firebird.1.jpg

85-4905 Chip Foose ’68 Pontiac® Firebird®

Scale: 1:25

Chip Foose has been around cars all of his life. His many talents include automotive design, fabrication, and graphic arts, plus hosting a national TV show. He has built award-winning cars. And, Chip Foose is the youngest person to be inducted into the Hot Rod hall of Fame. This 1968 Pontiac® Firebird® is a perfect example of how the magic Foose touch can put a modern spin on a favorite classic. Exclusive details include:

• Chip Foose Design wheels
  • Pontiac® 400 c.i. Ram AirTM engine
  • Optional race engine parts and interior

Same engine, and I believe those race engine parts & interior are the same drag parts that have come with that kit for the past 2 reissues. So there ya go folks, you got some new rims...wheeeeeee! I'd like to point out this kit was already in the Revell catalog to the point it was in this years "Muscle Car" Revell Model Championships...no need to insult is by adding decals and some rims and then re-re-reissue it AGAIN.

So there ya go folks, you got some new rims...wheeeeeee!

Are you forgetting about the new tires to match those wheels? :lol::P;)

This is pretty much what almost everyone expected when this kit was announced in May, and what we can expect for the '67 Coronet kit, too. Nothing too exciting for the hardcore builder, but look at the bright side- Revell isn't radically and irreversibly altering the tooling to create a one-off kit(s). :)

So I am not in the cool crowd

but look at the bright side- Revell isn't radically and irreversibly altering the tooling to create a one-off kit(s). :)

Read, they dont thinks its a wise money investment to change tooling for the fooseball dudes cars

So I am not in the cool crowd anymore, but who is the fooseball dude?, I can say I have never heard of him up intell reading about him getting a few kits. From what I have seen of the drawing's , I dont see the big deal, but again, I dont know anything.

So yeah! another re release with some ugly wheels and different tires, cant wait....................... :lol:

Edited by martinfan5

Are you forgetting about the new tires to match those wheels? :lol::P;)

This is pretty much what almost everyone expected when this kit was announced in May, and what we can expect for the '67 Coronet kit, too. Nothing too exciting for the hardcore builder, but look at the bright side- Revell isn't radically and irreversibly altering the tooling to create a one-off kit(s). :)

Granted but you did see people in this thread who expected a new tool, and believed that Chip is so devoted to his "art" that he wouldn't sign-off on some half-witted attempt at one of his cars. He might be the nicest guy in the world, but that doesn't absolve him of the desire to promote his brand and make money while doing it. Wonder what his cut of sales are/upfront fee was?

They will not be "new" tires anyway, they'll be the same ole-same ole Cali Wheel tires, Revell doesn't have the ability to create new tires...or so you'd think.

..;Chip Foose has been around cars all of his life....

Haven't most of us in the developed world?

I was brought home from hospital in a car and then was regularly driven in one by my father until I was old enough to drive myself.

Rarely a day goes by when I am not "around" a variety of cars.

Time to go home now, with my Hilux around me..

I'm glad they are repopping this as i've been meaning to grab one for a while and I can hopefully trade those wheels (and the no-name overly high profile tyres they are bound to come with) for something i'll actually use.

Wonder if Revell have any plans for a range of Foose Parts Pack wheel sets...

Edited by zenrat

New pick up trucks. Titan, Ram, F150(specifically Raptor), Tundra. I bet someone(probably Revell AG tho) will pick up the new Focus ST within the next few years. ANY new GM sedans. Pretty much anything current that's not a "muscle car".

Well here it is straight from the Revell Newsletter...

4905_68Firebird.1.jpg

85-4905 Chip Foose ’68 Pontiac® Firebird®

Scale: 1:25

Chip Foose has been around cars all of his life. His many talents include automotive design, fabrication, and graphic arts, plus hosting a national TV show. He has built award-winning cars. And, Chip Foose is the youngest person to be inducted into the Hot Rod hall of Fame. This 1968 Pontiac® Firebird® is a perfect example of how the magic Foose touch can put a modern spin on a favorite classic. Exclusive details include:

• Chip Foose Design wheels
  • Pontiac® 400 c.i. Ram AirTM engine
  • Optional race engine parts and interior

Same engine, and I believe those race engine parts & interior are the same drag parts that have come with that kit for the past 2 reissues. So there ya go folks, you got some new rims...wheeeeeee! I'd like to point out this kit was already in the Revell catalog to the point it was in this years "Muscle Car" Revell Model Championships...no need to insult is by adding decals and some rims and then re-re-reissue it AGAIN.

Here is another pic Revell is showing, of a built up kit..

85-4905-lg.jpg

Someone please tell me, what so special about this ?, all I see are some aftermarket wheels, someone point out why this guy is popular?

He's got a good eye for design and he's a talented artist. If you're judging his entire body of work by these two Foose-branded kits, you're not going to get any idea of what he's done. Check out his personal '69 Firebird from 1992 or so and you'll see what he does and why he does it well.

Foose co-labelled kits aren't "special" and they aren't going to break any new ground as far as the models inside the boxes are concerned, but look at the big picture (i.e., not our own want, needs, and what we each would buy as model building enthusiasts). Some of us might be able to see how such a kit could bring new people into the hobby, as well as provide a "new" kit for Revell to market (alongside the launch of Overhaulin' on TV). And guess where the money for Revell to take the plunge and tool up an all-new '50 Olds Coupe partially comes from? Kits just like this, which Revell has to invest very little "new" money into, yet can market to a specific audience who is already tuned into most things automotive.

He's got a good eye for design and he's a talented artist. If you're judging his entire body of work by these two Foose-branded kits, you're not going to get any idea of what he's done. Check out his personal '69 Firebird from 1992 or so and you'll see what he does and why he does it well.

Foose co-labelled kits aren't "special" and they aren't going to break any new ground as far as the models inside the boxes are concerned, but look at the big picture (i.e., not our own want, needs, and what we each would buy as model building enthusiasts). Some of us might be able to see how such a kit could bring new people into the hobby, as well as provide a "new" kit for Revell to market (alongside the launch of Overhaulin' on TV). And guess where the money for Revell to take the plunge and tool up an all-new '50 Olds Coupe partially comes from? Kits just like this, which Revell has to invest very little "new" money into, yet can market to a specific audience who is already tuned into most things automotive.

I will google Foose and see for myself

Good point Casey, and to add to that, no matter what the subjects, ones we like or dont like, the bottom line is we should all hope that the new ( new reissued ) kits are a success sales wise, because in the long run, we the modelers will benefit the most, with the models company's taking more risk per say down the road on giving us newly tooled kits.