Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pictures of your kit collections (waiting to be built)

MVC010F-vi.jpg

My old model room before I moved from NJ to PA. Here's the left side of the main model closet. Kits are two deep, the closet is about six or eight feet long. When I converted this to model use, I thought I'd never out grow it!

MVC008F-vi.jpg

The right side. Note that good stuff like old Craftsman kits and my resins were all tucked away in cabinets.

MVC002F-vi.jpg

And what happened years later! I certainly did outgrow the closet!

Today my stuff is mainly in model cases that are all marked with the contents. Pretty much marked "Chevy", "Ford", "1930s" etc. all stored in a basement room. Sometimes it's a chore to find something specific, and I will organize it all on shelves in the future. I really do need to go through it all as I have multiples of some kits and things I'll never use. And like many of us when I go digging I find stuff I never saw before!

i do have a question , why do people buy that many boxes just to put on shelfs ?

dotn get me wrong i think it looks freaking cool and i would love to go through those collections and see whats in them ..

already see coolness in the pics ..

but in a way i dont really get it ..

i mean you guys are never going to build all the kits in this life time , some people have multiple kist (the same) and i understand some are rare and might become real valuable ..

atm i have 4 kits in stock myself and those are already burning on the shelf ... ooh i want to start them so bad :)

my way is more like i want to build one kit at a time and i would def. like to make a collection of boxes , just i would want to have boxes in stock i want to build and wil build in a certain time frame ..

so anybody wish to explain the idea / feeling / drive behind the hudge collections ? like is that a hobby on its own , just the collecting of kits ?

and again dont get me wrong i think its awsome to see such extensive kit collections > love it

I like the "Styrene Hoarders Reality Show" idea. It would appear that all of us are collecting.

I, for one will admit to this. I know that my issue is that i see a kit and get a bunch of ideas on how to build it, so i buy it. But during the build, i find 5 more kits that i just gotta have. Can't build them as fast as i can buy them. And that's how it happens

It really is more of a sickness than a hobby. Maybe i'll bring this up with my therapist? Or not!

i do have a question , why do people buy that many boxes just to put on shelfs ?

When you've been in the hobby and have been going to shows for 25 years it just sorta grows! I buy stuff I want, and I usually want to have two of them before I'll build one "just in case I screw up a part". I buy a fair amount of impulse buys, and I find a lot of stuff cheap at shows. Who can resist a $5 kit?

For Rhodes that don't or cannot comprehend the idea of multiple purchases., there's a variety of benefits. Models usually gain value with age as their availabliliy becomes scarce. Once the production run stops. You buy what interests you at a particular time with the view to build and store it until ihe time is right. These wretched Hoarders are the guys you often buy that rare kit off at swap meets. I really wonder about the intelligence or lack of it some people. This is a basic thread making what should be regarded as a normal enough conversational topic between modelers. Leave the negative Judgment at the door

dotn get me wrong i think it looks freaking cool and i would love to go through those collections and see whats in them ..

I'll buy multiples of what is my main interests ( old drag cars mainly) I get what I can , when I can, while I can. Theres been WAAAAAAY to many times in the past I'll pass on something only to find out later it's been dis-continued . And I have to find it in the secondary market at a considerable costs markup.( and I'm a tightwad by nature )

as an example I have nearly 3 dozen lindberg 1964 Dodge and Plymouth kits. And probably close to 18-20 or so Polar Lights Charger / Barracuda / Mustang Funnycars ( multiples of each one make/model)

Why do we buy so many? Why not! This is something I love and will try to build it all until I am no longer able! And then my stuff will go back into the world and someone else, hopefully, will carry on!

We are just custodians of the ones we do not build. Yes, they can get valuable, but that is not why I bought them, I bought them to buld them!

My friend Skip's collection is now being liquidated and he had well over a thousand kits! Now some lucky modelers get to enjoy the kits that he helped preserve!

Your mileage may vary!

Wow everybody, thanks for all the posts! It is really incredible how many kits some of you have. I could only wish I had all of those...but realistically I'd probably build not even a 1/10th of them! I have a hard time finding the time and ambition to build what kits I have now!

I can't speak for others but I have multiples of the same kit (especially drag and Nascar) because there are so many folks creating decals for other cars that can be built from that same kit. Plus, when something new, or reissued, comes out, and it's desireable you've got to pick up at least one before they run their course and you miss out. If you do this enough times then you eventually find that you have enough unbuilt models to last at least three lifetimes. Because of this I have actually found that over the past couple of years I have sold off some of my stash that were at the bottom of the "to be built" list.

So with that being said, here's my stockpile.

DSC08588-vi.jpg

DSC08587-vi.jpg

DSC08586-vi.jpg

DSC08585-vi.jpg

DSC08584-vi.jpg

And all the racks shown in these pictures are all two deep so there is almost twice as much as what you can see.

Why so many Kits? I've bought every kit with the intention of building it.. some of the older kits were very simplified such as the Johan 63 Dodge Polara, I purchased a Lindbergh Color me Gone 64 Dodge to use under the 63, But I also wanted to build a Color Me Gone 64 Dodge,so now I need at least two kits. Same with Polar Lights, or Revell Funny cars, take one of these kits and any resin Funny Car body, some aftermarket decals and you can replicate any number of early funny cars.

I have also passed on kits earlier in my life only to later purchase them at collector prices, and thena couple years later, they reissue the kit and I've got a ton of money tied up in a kit, If I have any interest I try to buy it just in case, if later I decide I'm not going to build it I sell or trade it for something else.

I have over 400 unbuilt kits in my stash. Some were bought to build, some were bought as trans kits, some were bought for parts.

I like having several of the same kit because you may see an orange Fairlane you would like to build while researching the blue Fairlane you're currently building.

Sometimes I'll look though a Hot Rod magazine, I see a picture of a car I'd like to build, but I already have one built. Well since I had two in my stash, I get to build one like the one I've just seen.

I have 4 '70 Mustangs that I've built, along with 4 '64 Fairlanes, etc.

Just my two cents. :rolleyes:

Roy the Ford guy

Why i have so many is, i love to build vans and trucks and unusual cars, so i buy them or trade for them, but my problem is people come up to me all the time wanting to sell me built models, so i buy them to help them out, but alot of times i start rebuilding the builts thats what i been getting into. Right now i know someone waiting to sell me around 60 built up models but i already have over 200 builts in boxes. But like my wife says sooner or later i will buy the guys builts to help him out. And another reason i love models and meeting people at shows and on forums.

I do have a mess of stuff and was running out of room to store it all. So I bought a bigger house! :)

I have things I swear I never saw before. I'll see a decent rebuilder for sale and buy it, only to discover I already have two. Eventually I'll build something from the best one and sell the others.

When I get the time, I am going to build shelves in my storage room for them all and organize what I've got. Then I'll cull out some of the stuff I don't have an interest in, duplicates etc and sell them. I'll then use that money to fill in the gaps in my collection.

My space right now is rather long and narrow so its difficult to see everything...

IMG-20121211-00102.jpg

IMG-20121211-00100.jpg

IMG-20121211-00101.jpg

IMG-20121211-00102.jpg

All told I have about 420 kits or so. I usually buy multiplies of kits that have several building options. So, I have 2 68 Chargers, 2 69 Darts, 2 70 Mustangs, 2 57 Black Widows, etc. I have one each of the various versions of the 69 Nova as well. I have every intention of building every one of those kits, it just might take me a while. The open/upside down boxes in the third picture are projects currently on the go, but with most of these kits you can grab any one of them off the shelf and chances are there's something started in there; some more than others. I have what I guess you could call modeler's ADD: I start one kit and then get an idea for something else so I start that one too and on and on...

Edited by kataranga

but in a way i dont really get it ..

i mean you guys are never going to build all the kits in this life time , some people have multiple kist (the same) and i understand some are rare and might become real valuable ..

atm i have 4 kits in stock myself and those are already burning on the shelf ... ooh i want to start them so bad :)

my way is more like i want to build one kit at a time and i would def. like to make a collection of boxes , just i would want to have boxes in stock i want to build and wil build in a certain time frame ..

so anybody wish to explain the idea / feeling / drive behind the hudge collections ? like is that a hobby on its own , just the collecting of kits ?

and again dont get me wrong i think its awsome to see such extensive kit collections > love it

I always love to hear the questions of why do you have to buy so many or why so many of the same kit. My theory is that, if you like it, you better get it now or your going to regret it later!!!!!!! I just pulled a Mercury Cyclone stock car kit off the shelf that I bought two of when they first came out and started working on it. I paid 19.99 for those kits when they were available, now they're going for 65.00!!!!! I have hundreds and hundreds of kits and yes, I'll never be able to build them all but it sure is nice to be able to have any kit that I do want to build, right at my finger tips!!!!!!!