Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hot Rod Radical Pontiac J2000

CWD

Yeah digging the barn find look also . Might be how i do mine since i scavenged it long ago. I too remember seeing it at Canfield Ohio at the Hot Rod Supernats. Was a regular there till it went back west. A lot of pro fairgrounders there.But Dobbertins and the other cars were awesome to look at. Michael

I remember reading somewhere that he was given a bad time by the judges of some event because there were no rear springs I believe he added a couple of valve springs to answer the complaint.

I thought the car was cool when it came out. Granted it wasn't practical but neither are a lot of cars that are art. Most of the ridler winners are not really practical and just function enough to pass the movement requirements.

bobthehobbyguy

I just purchased a sealed autographed model of this From Rick Dobbertin... He is a really cool guy... Rick and I have exchanged alot of emails over the last few weeks... The 2000 was sold to a guy is Chicago... it since sold again at Auction and remained in Chicago... Here are a few Quotes from Rick:

"The car is is Chicago. I sold it years ago and it was just sold again. I believe it went for $350,000.00."

"There is a huge Pro Street reunion in DuQuoin this June and the J-2000 is supposed to be one of the big features."

This is what he says he is working on now...

"An old 1979 Manta Mirage kit car... simple and really fun to drive. Like a go-kart on the street. -Rick"

post-648-0-59343600-1363048972_thumb.jpg

post-648-0-41845400-1363048988_thumb.jpg

I thought the car was cool when it came out. Granted it wasn't practical but neither are a lot of cars that are art.

It was a very polarizing car, and was considered by many to be the zenith of the Pro Street movement, which also meant the beginning of the end. Totally outrageous, over-the-top, and obnoxious, it certainly set the bar a bit higher, but I doubt any Pro Streeter will ever go this far again. At least this car gave Revell the opportunity to give us that Pontiac J-2000 body we were all clamoring for, right guys? Guys? :D

I have often thought about building this kit, but all the chrome turned me off, as I still have nightmares about assembling the Mysterion's chrome plated frame and suspension...tiny, tiny parts, all over! :angry::lol:

I'll be tuning in to see how this one progresses. :)

Here's an idea for you...Find a 82-83 Cavalier annual from MPC....And make a factory stock J2000, The only other parts you need is a set of Pontiac wheels from a early Fiero kit...I made one along time ago back in 1990 , It didn't look to bad for what skills I had back then.

Years ago Rick told me he planned on building an Anglia. Then Pontiac gave him the body and urged him to use it to help promote the J car. Check out using an Anglia body I've never seen anyone build one with that body,and I've never checked the wheelbase. Good luck

Was just reading Todds post and thinking about the motor. If this car had EFI, with the compound boost and the nitrous injection it would have been a insano ride for sure instead of Pro Fairgrounds.

Yes it would have. That single carb he used to feed that massive induction system not only couldn't provide NEAR enough fuel for it to survive under boost, there was also no way for it to provide NEAR enough air to feed it at much above an idle.

Hi just thought i would post a few pics of 41 willys that i have on the build using the kits chassis and engine. Just needed a little trimming now fits like a glove. Also used the chassis under a 1950 thames that i built.

models043_zps0b0b0d42.jpgmodels042_zps37d03989.jpg002_zpsee8ea65a.jpg001_zps1a98d471.jpg

Just picked up this model from fee-bay, relatively cheap, with all plans to build. Then, I looked at it, and I'm not sure I want to build it; all the parts are there, including decals, and the bags are still sealed. I built it as a kid when it came out, still have the built kit. Now, I'm wondering if I want to do something else with it.

Should I trade it away? Build it? Box-stock or mod? Dare I say, kit-bash it? Strip it and use it for parts?

Inquiring minds want to know... looking for input...

I say build it. From what I've seen of Rick's J-2000 in pictures this kit is as dead on as you can get.

I have one of these and I plan on building it, someday. I also have a few of the Beretta Pro Street kits but never picked up the Corvette.

I just purchased a sealed autographed model of this From Rick Dobbertin... He is a really cool guy... Rick and I have exchanged alot of emails over the last few weeks... The 2000 was sold to a guy is Chicago... it since sold again at Auction and remained in Chicago... Here are a few Quotes from Rick:

"The car is is Chicago. I sold it years ago and it was just sold again. I believe it went for $350,000.00."

"There is a huge Pro Street reunion in DuQuoin this June and the J-2000 is supposed to be one of the big features."

This is what he says he is working on now...

"An old 1979 Manta Mirage kit car... simple and really fun to drive. Like a go-kart on the street. -Rick"

That's really cool to have but you can never build it.

Edited by crowe-t