Model Cars Magazine Forum

Request for re-releases from AMT Round2: IH Transtar II, GMC General anyone?

I have two other suggestions for re-releases one would be the ERTL Transtar II, still a pretty good kit?

And, get this, a warp free GMC General/Chevy Bison. Based on the quality of their kits, I think Round 2 can pull this off.

What do you think? I'd love that! Would there be enough demand?

Wasn't the Transtar II modified into something else later on? Or am I thinking of another kit. Not that restoring the kit back to original specs would be impossible, given RC2's track record, but I'm still wondering.

I can't say I'd buy all of the kits you are mentioning, but I'd be up for any IH truck, and even if I didn't buy any Generals I'm sure there'd be more than enough people who WOULD buy a few that it wouldn't matter.

I'm also hoping they'll bring back the International and Massey Ferguson 1155 farm tractor kits and maybe, just maybe, bringing out a new drop-deck lowboy kit so I can haul one of those tractors on it, hooked up to a reissued Ertl semi tractor model. :wub:

I thought Round 2 would have re-issued the Transtar II before the 4300... I think it still has a chance. If they are releasing the Pete 352 is coming in the next few months, I think some ERTL kits would be worth being put back into production. A Paystar and some S-series too. Speaking of Internationals, from what I have seen, the Moebius Prostar is announced at a couple places such as Tower for mid-November...

id buy a general kit....as much of a pain they are for warped hoods....i dont care....i want one!

I think Round 2 won't put out a kit unless it can make a good quality kit(minimal warpage and flash). I think they can pull it off if they modify the cabs mold to include either a brace for the cab bottom or mold the firewall on the cab. They could do the same for the hood. But I'd like to see that truck reissued too. There weren't much wrong with the Transtar II though.

The question of some of the old S series Internationals came up on another forum some time back. It was discussed that there were licensing issues that would prevent them from happening. If this is the case, I'd sure like to see them work around the issues. I miss those old trucks.

They did release the Transtar 4300. We'll see.

Here in australia the 4070A was a very popular truck but we never got the 4070B . So if round 2 was to try and retool the B back to the A they would sell a few . I know this because everytime one of the A's or parts come up on ebay there's a feeding frenzy .

Edited by scummy

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's a long shot because the molds are supposed to be gone but how about the Kenworth/Challenge mixer and all w900 based kits including the Alaskan hauler? I agree on pakaging being the problem with the General/Bison. When I got an original issue in 1977 it was fine.

• 1 year later...

Kenworth molds were modified into the T600.

As for the mixer tools, apparently no one knows.

I don't know if it was the same mixer, but the International mixer should still be on the shelves somewhere, it shouldn't be far out for reissue, either. I think the last it was out was the early 2000s.

As for the destroyed molds of the Kenworth to make that horrible T600, (granted looked nice on the outside, with 70s tech underneath) would it be out of the realm of possibility for the destroyed molds to be reverse engineered from a good W925 kit? There always seems to be one of the variants on ebay, and I'm sure all the molds for the frame and running gear have to be hiding somewhere, since those were unchanged from the W925 to the T600.

Well anything is possible as Round 2 finds gems in the old AMT/Ertl/MPC tooling bank all the time.

Round 2 has appearently found the tooling for the first issue T500 500 Unilite "small window" cab - Detroit Diesel 8V-71 - Western Unit Stabilaire suspension version of the Peterbilt 359, it has never been reissued after 1975 and it's not on their website yet but they are going to do it this year according to our "Peterbilt oracle" Tim Ahlborn.

Edited by Force

Here in australia the 4070A was a very popular truck but we never got the 4070B . So if round 2 was to try and retool the B back to the A they would sell a few . I know this because everytime one of the A's or parts come up on ebay there's a feeding frenzy .

Maybe someone should cast up the 4070a pieces that don't exist on the transtar 2.

Ben