Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 MUSTANG PRO MOD..updates 06/30/14

tyrone

Rrrrrumps.... I have a full time job... I actually work 10 1/2 hours a day.. so when I get home if I'm able to spend a hour or two at the bench to kinda unwind I really enjoy it.. when time permits.. I usually end up with more than one project going at once because I'll have so many ideas in my head that I have to start something.. It also helps me not to get burned out on one specific build.... thanks for checking in and I'm glad you like my work..... :D

Mitch.... thanks for the kind words ... as far as selling blue prints... the way I build is a little different from most... I don't use a chassis jig.. I start with the floor and work my way up from there... they are pretty close imop... but nowhere near perfect...... as for the RG engines they are pretty nice, you have to sand the pieces that will be glued together with some coarse sandpaper on a flat surface to ensure that they are nice and flat... hope this helps.. any questions please ask....

Thanks for replying Tyrone! It motivates me to get info and tips from a pro! My 1st attempt at innovation in 1:25 scale will be placing a newly purchased RGE/Sonny Leonard pro mod motor in between the frame rails of a Revell Soff Seal kit I just got at a really good price. I've built one Glidden based T-Bird prostock and a Shoebox Ford kit, so I want that blown pro mod feeling.

I also got a resin 1:25 Kobelco blower & 3 hole hat that resembles your build.. I hope to fashion a thin styrene lower intake/valley cover and then CA the blower/hat on top. I'll be using a BB blown engine off Ebay and some pics off Pro-Tech's site to get the plumbing close as possible. What vehicle to use is a choice between the Revell '55 Top Sportsman and a newly acquired (discontinued) Revell '87 Bob Glidden Championship kit, the one with the crew standing along with Bob and the car on the front. The kit was re-issued last October from what I hear, with a different cover picture and possibly different wheels. I bet a lot of purists would love to wring my neck messing with Glidden kit!

Thanks Tyrone and keep 'em coming! BTW, Leah Pruett's turbocharged early Vette would be a challenging pro mod build from an engine standpoint!

tyrone, looks killer dude! hey, before you put that blown hemi in there i thought i'd show you some pics of a '68 mustang they're doing down at precision chassis. maybe it will speak to you.

1497857_585148708238409_2053497675_o_zps

1486088_585148788238401_2080769081_o_zps

Nice real life build going on here from the Precision folks; it doesn't look like the driver's area cage is as protective as Tyrone's builds though. It's gotta meet SFI specs after this much work, I'm sure. I wonder if it's true pro mod or maybe crazy 10.5 tire?

mitch, the fact you can't see the cage in this car is a testament to the care that was taken to build it. you are right. it is not built to run pro mod. the all steel rear body clip is a dead give away. with a 903 cu in. pat musi motor on 4 stages, you can bet it is an SFI approved design. the car will be running in a class called Big Tire Outlaw. here's a peep of the hidden chassis.

DSCN4668_zpsd4db5349.jpg

hope i'm not stealing your thread tyrone. sorry.

the blur in the back ground is doug. he is so fast it's hard to capture him on film! hehe.

Edited by comp1839

Tyrone: I'm not on your level to have many ques. other than figuring out how to figure out how to build a chassis :lol: I'm just not sure what I want or how aggresive to go. It's just one of those things like driving by an accident. You don't want to look or know, but... Comp1839 - check your PM about the above info!

I'm thinking when I've fullfilled my desire to shoehorn this creation of Ross' into the '57 Chevy and catch up on the three bodies that need painted for my kits already built, I want to start by purchasing a resin body I really like and taking it from there. Following your build pics here (and maybe a few PM's without annoying you), I'd like the basics for laying out the frame, how intricate to make a cage, designing the rear cage and how to install a 4 link using say, one of Scott Popham's Futurattraction 9" rear & related parts. Maybe that's chewing off too much and just keeping my yap shut and my eyes open with do!

I will have a long term project like yours in the works one day and when I do I'll post it here step by step as much as possible to help somebody out (as long as you help me correct my mistakes first!) Peace out bro!

What's up fellas.... I've been working on this one too.. I'm still adding bars to the cage, I've got the front end upper strut mounts and lower mounts installed... gonna make my own lower control arms on this one and not rob them from the pro sportsman chassis...lol... I also got the doors hinged and hung too... I decided to jazz up the firewall on this one too... thanks for looking and comments welcome......

013.jpg

015-1.jpg

017-2.jpg

018.jpg

Edited by tyrone

Thanks alot for the kind words fellas, I really appreciate it... well just a small update.. I was able to get a little time at the benck this weekend and I made a rear wing for this one from sheet styrene.. I patterned it after Mike Knowles bad ride... thanks for looking and comments welcome...

IMG_3186_7_8_fused_zps6d23febb.jpg

IMG_3192_3_4_tonemapped_zps5b130733.jpg

here's what I came up with...

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words fellas.... they keep me motivated more than you know,,, thanks alot... well I've got the chassis all mocked up on all fours.. I made the front lower control arms from styrene rod.. I drilled a hole down the center and added rod ends from futturattraction... I also got the wheelie bars done... thanks for looking and comments welcome....

1959701_4024513828163_753251037_n.jpg

10014930_4024513628158_696543519_n.jpg

984050_4024511428103_1605984960_n.jpg

969309_4024510988092_127395968_n.jpg