Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell Foose '68 Firebird

jeffs396

Since this posting was first put on line, I have tried to convince myself this is what we should have expected Better part of two days, I tried not to find fault with Revell for this....But the more i think about it, we as customers, have been just plain ripped off. Now, those of you who know me, lnow i have supported the model companies in their efforts to give us a fair product at a decent price, even if they weren't accurate, or didn't fit to gether well....Always said that's the price you pay so they could stay in business....We compromised our standards / kept thinking " just buy it to support the hobby ,and so they can stay in business"..... N O.... M O R E ! This was the last straw for me, I'm TIRED OF GETTING RIPPED OFF !. (end of rant).

Rob, are the wheels/tires the big and bigger or are all four the same size?

All the same size..

Neither one is close to Chip's drawing.

Good point..his sketches are always exaggerated...

And most of the commentary in this thread isn't 'whining', it's criticism. There is a difference.

Edited by Rob Hall

I don't get all the whining-

Although I'm disappointed that we didn't get some lowered suspension components I gotta agree with Casey. Reissues like these are a fact of life and if they want to do stuff like this while they are also giving us new molds I say LET EM! If they had just reissued this as a California Wheels version, no one would be whining.

Sorry guys but the '50 Olds, 48 Ford, 49 Merc, the Deuces, the Choppers and the upcoming '62 Vette will buy a lot of slack from yours truly.

Edited by Jantrix

Actually, I am amazed that anyone expected more. This isn't the first "New wheels in an old kit" stunt that we have seen. Right or wrong, that is what they do. I expect more of the same. And the artwork does imply more alterations than provided in the box. This is the kind of stuff that AMT used to do (Donk wheels on a '32 Ford?).

Yes, Revell slapped on the Foose name and catchy box artwork (read more $$$ for both Chip and Revell), added new wheels, tires (well, existing tires- they have appeared before in the '62 Impala CW kit), and new decals, and shipped it out. Does it say anywhere on the box "builds an authentic replica of the car Chip Foose designed and helped build on the hit TV show Overhaulin'!"? I don't think that was ever Revell's intention...

You have got to be kidding... right? Ok, it doesn't explicitly say so anywhere on the box...

But to say it was never Revell's intention to get people to think this was a model kit of Foose's custom Firebird?

Of course it was. That was exactly their intention!

Do you think the big "FOOSE" logo and his signature and his artwork appeared on the box top by accident? This is clearly a case of the manufacturer being less than honest in their packaging/marketing. It was done intentionally, not by accident. No way to sugar-coat that or explain it away. Not even Art can put a positive spin on this one.

The biggest gripe (or whine) I have is this isn't some dusty common kit they tossed wheels into, it was already in active release. Remember it was one of the choices in this year's Gearz contest.

In the October releases is that Ford Lightning kit. That's another one that's so fresh from the last minting my LHS still has it on the shelf.

If they want to reissue stuff, there's plenty of things in the vault that haven't seen the light in ages. Good examples would be the re-pop of the '99 Mustang Cobra and '65 Impala Convertible, two that never saw the light of day after their first runs.

Take the wheel tooling and licensing money from the Foose kits and clean up an old classic mold, even if it's nothing I would buy, kind rather see some segment of the hobby happy than this dreck.

And the artwork does imply more alterations than provided in the box.

What about the photo of the actual, built model on the side of the box? Which you you put more faith in- the box top sketch or an image of the built model? The box top is a tease, designed to catch your eye, just like many, many, many box tops before.

See Mike's post on page one:

Basic stock '68 Firebird 400 and awful wheel/tire combo that gives it a 4x4 stance. Save your money and pass on it.

2012-09-29133859.jpg

If you were fooled into thinking you were going to open the box and find parts for a 6" lower-than-stock '68 Firebird with tucked 20" wheels and tires, and LS-series engine under the hood, and whatever else they did to the car on Overhaulin', I have some oceanfront property in Arizona I would love to talk with you about. ;)

This is clearly a case of the manufacturer being less than honest in their packaging/marketing.

How is Revell lying or misleading the public with what's shown on the box? They show a picture of the exact model built and painted on the side of the box!

It's like saying AMT is mislead the public because the '37 Chevy inside the box doesn't come with ribbed front tires, multi-colored smoke billowing off the slicks, and the LF tire isn't off the ground when the model is completed, as shown on the box art:

37.jpg

I understand people wished and hoped this kit would be much more than a near straight reissue, but to honestly expect an exact replica based only on viewing the box art sketch would be naivete' at its finest.

Listen, I was never a big fan of this kit to begin with, and this modified reissue has even less appeal to me, but to imply Revell has tried to pull the wool over our eyes with this kit is a bit of a stretch IMHO. 99% of us knew exactly what to expect when this kit was announced in May, and now that it's here, it's pretty much exactly what we expected.

Guest G Holding

I don't get all the whining- anyone who knew this kit was coming knew it would pretty much be a straight reissue with new wheels, tires and decals. Did anyone seriously think Revell was going to completely re-tool the kit to be accurate to the 1:1 car as seen on Overhaulin'? There's no way possible these tires would even fit the Firebird's wheel wells if it were as low as the 1:1 car it replicates.

Yes, Revell slapped on the Foose name and catchy box artwork (read more $$$ for both Chip and Revell), added new wheels, tires (well, existing tires- they have appeared before in the '62 Impala CW kit), and new decals, and shipped it out. Does it say anywhere on the box "builds an authentic replica of the car Chip Foose designed and helped build on the hit TV show Overhaulin'!"? I don't think that was ever Revell's intention, and seems kind of silly to complain about something which in you heart of hearts knew was never really a likely possibility to happen from the start.

I finally do agree with you Casey....Thank You

You gotta figure Stacey David is sitting back someplace chuckling that he signed his deal with Revell. He gets a contest tie-in, more publicity for his show, AND his own car done in a NEW tool. Meanwhile ole Chip is on some HD Channel 98% of people have never even heard of, let alone receive and his name with hobbyists it attached to these warmed over kits.

It's like saying AMT is mislead the public because the '37 Chevy inside the box doesn't come with ribbed front tires, multi-colored smoke billowing off the slicks, and the LF tire isn't off the ground when the model is completed, as shown on the box art:

That last bit could depend on if and how badly the chassis is warped coming out of the box :P

Does anyone have a pic of the decal sheet, as i was wondering if the silver panel is all decal or do you need to paint it?

I'd imagine so, that could be kinda tricky for somebody to paint, especially for somebody who might be fairly green to model building.

OK you want a positive spin of this/ I'll save art the trouble. The Revell 1968 Firebird kit is a really nice kit regardless of the wheels that are in it. With two versions of the kit available that doubles your chance of finding it on the shelves. If you are like many of us you'll swap out the wheels anyway. as for the boxart illustration, (which by the way is the original concept drawing for the show, and doesn't resemble the 1:1 finished product either) But I clallenge you to show me an box stock AMT 1972 Nova that looks anything like this:

IMG_4119-vi.jpg

amtertl6556a-vi.jpg

At least on the Revell Firebird you get an actual photo of the finished model, so you know what you are actually getting.

The '65 Impala convertible is more of a rip off than this Firebird IMO. It's advertised as a "California Wheels" kit, yet only builds stock. :huh: Now that is some misleading advertising.

No doubt that Revell screwed the pooch when they decided to release it in that line. But despite it's lack of wagon wheel donk-a-licious rims it was still a welcome release that hadn't been around since the late 90's. Really Revell could have tossed in a cheap "second option" by running the Amigo Pack parts from the '65 Impala kit through into this one.

After seeing the pic of the 1:1 car and this, I suppose its not too far off unlike if RC2/AMT tackled this in 07. But the only glaring problems are:

Stock 389 motor? But NO new aftermarket parts for it at least!? - Coulda tooled up an LS1 and/or borrow parts from the '98-02 Camaro/Firebird kits. ITS NOT THAT HARD AND COSTLY TO DO. (Maybe they wanted to fit what they can in the box so the dev money saved could be used for their "fun" shows in Vegas)

The wheels are OK but a wee undersized; tires are oversized ala '06 mustang 4x4 look.

No disc brakes - You've done it for the regluar Cali' Wheels kits, why not this one!?

Biggest one is the price - $26.99 for something a bit "undercooked" and no other build options (aside from the extra drag parts that are now somewhat useless). I'll let this one slide, as I allready did one with an LS1 and properly lowered. The previous issues are still in curculation and can be found FAR cheaper that this new warm-over. With the stock issue, you can have extra parts for other projects and scrounge up your own to make an far accurate version of this Foose masterpiece (that Revell should've SERIOUSLY taken into proper consideration in their marketing meetings).

interesting discussion about a reissued kit with only a "Foose-BoxArt". IMO, there are a lot of Foose fans out there, who will by this kit - because it is a merchandising from Chip. Nothing more it is. a "musthave" for fans, to take place in their collection near the shirt, cap, cup...never to be build.

I think, anyone who had seen the car on tv and wishes, that the simular kit is in the box will be unhappy with it, if its not matching. Also i think, there are a lot of other kits sold, wich have also mistakes in bodylines, trim, wheels, engineparts etc. - doesn't matter wich brand it is, doesn't matter how old the kit is. Many racecars have mistakes in molding and/or decals, many civilian cars too.

So what? Are we modelcarbuilder or only glueguys ;) .

New Boxart, new decals and wheels - thats it i think. Just cooking with water and make money - the only thing, thats important for both sides.

Edited by Dominik

I made one that looked just like this kit. Then I flushed it! You think this box is misleading, Revell made a 1/32 Kyle Petty transporter snap together kit that included the truck and trailer. The ONLY things that matched the box art were the colors! The box shows an International 9400 tractor with a split axle Featherlite racing transporter trailer. Open the box, you an old Kenworth T600A puling a closed tandem racing transporter trailer. COMPLETELY different truck and trailer!

I made one that looked just like this kit. Then I flushed it! You think this box is misleading, Revell made a 1/32 Kyle Petty transporter snap together kit that included the truck and trailer. The ONLY things that matched the box art were the colors! The box shows an International 9400 tractor with a split axle Featherlite racing transporter trailer. Open the box, you an old Kenworth T600A puling a closed tandem racing transporter trailer. COMPLETELY different truck and trailer!

All of the race team transporters they did were wrong

The Davey Allison rig was wrong as well, RYR used Ford AeroMax at the time, the trailer was close, at that time there was not a spread axle option

Ok instead of going on, they were all wrong for the most part

Since the Firebird kit is one I was going to pick up anyway, I'll wait & grab one of these 'Foose' versions at a show next year sometime, once the unfounded 'hype' wears off & its heavily discounted ;)

The wheels kinda look like the ones in Revell's Viper GTS coupe kit...

And yet still no pictures of all the contents,I saw this at the lhs tonight thought the art was cool then saw the built model on the side and no options for the engine. I passed. if Revell had only added current engine upgrades and maybe something for the interior or even all the parts from previous issue i would have made the purchase.