Model Cars Magazine Forum

Northern California clubs

Guest roadkill2525

Well, given that you are in Fairfield California, north of SF bay, a great choice would be Silicon Valley Scale Vehicles. Steve Hinson posts here so he can give you more details.

There also is a Sacramento club, but I don't know there name.

Have you looked in Model Cars Magazine also? Gregg keeps a listing of Model Car Clubs and contacts.

HTH

city styles club is in sacramento and we meet every last tuesday of the month (this month that would be tomorrow, april 24) at the round table pizza on folsom blvd near 51st street...approx 6pm - 8pm. come out if you get the chance otherwise you can call me at 916 442-8744 for details of what we are doing. we would love to see you come to our meetings...we have people who build all varieties of vehicles, from novelty vehicles, to drag cars, to all sorts of race cars, low riders, tuners, hot rods etc. in short something for everyone.

• 7 months later...

heres a quick update on city styles model club and our latest meeting this past tuesday.

mostly we are planning our project car(s) that we traditionally build and then raffle off at the west coast NNL in feb (this year i think its actually early in march). we left our october meeting thinking maybe we would build a gasser (one of the themes for the nnl 08) from a chrysler magnum wagon. it was visioned to be on an older frame probably with a vintage hemi firepower motor and either hilborn injection with tall stacks or a typical gmc blower and injection.

but this month i think we decided to switch platforms for the concept to a PT Cruiser, again done like a vintage gasser, probaby a straight tube axle under the front, etc.

i believe there is some talk about altering the wheelbase so it will be pretty interesting to see what kind of synthesis of modern retro and true vintage styles we can come up with!

right now we are still gathering the parts and will meet up individually in the pre-christmas days to plan our initial parts inventory and get going on component parts. there was some debate over where exactly to get a suitable PT Cruiser but i think the concensus is they are a dime a dozen on the bay so Mario was going to find one and buy it pronto so we could get going on the bodywork.

when i get the motor basics together i will start posting photos of progress in the workbench section. i typically build and detail the motors for our projects, and some here might remember the lincoln V12 i built for one of our giveaway cars last year.

only member Jerry Amaral brought completed models to display this time, one a beautiful candy apple red with dark fogging 63 Chevrolet, very nice interior and very cool stance that enhanced the subtle custom work. he also brought another new build, but i forget exactly what it was :)

i myself brought four resin bodies i recently "won" from ebay: a 53 studebaker panel van phantom(?), a 34 piersen brothers type chopped coupe, a 53 lowrider custom chevy and a 56 ford panel van phantom(?), the latter of which was sent by accident with the others. everybody seemed to think they were pretty decent quality and totally buildable, though a couple of eagle eyes thought the back of the body was a bit crooked. most everyone thought the best of the bunch was the Stude panel van, which is the one i originally bought from this particular vendor.

if youre in the sacramento area, please feel free to join us, last tuesday of the month at the Round Table Pizza near Folsom and 51, right next to Riverside Hobbies. we usually get going around 6 or 6:30 and break up around 8 or however long anyone wants to hang out. dont be shy about bringing stuff to show and share, new kits, works in progress, finished models, whatever...bring em!

hope to see you there!

• 2 months later...

our pre-NNL meeting is tomorrow night so come out and see our project car in its (hopefully) close to final form!

round table pizza, approx 48th and folsom blvd, sacramento. people start showing up around 6pm and usually hang out until 8 or so.

be sure to bring something for us to look at: current projects, recent completions, or just boxes of parts and dreams!

• 4 years later...