Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Chevy II "Runt"

Chas SCR

404504_2699857069430_1047720685_n.jpgHello every one, I been off here for a long time and now i'm back into building again. This car is for the guys at the RPM Hot Rod and is base on the real car called "Runt". I am a lot farther ahead then what the photos right now will be seen as I do have over 200 photos taken of each part being made and body customized. Edited by Chas SCR

This car will have full working front and rear end with a working Nascar swaybar located in it. The shocks are a combine parts with the spring and eyelets from R&B motion and shock in the center I machine my self for the right size with rubber o rings in side with oil. The body has 14 modifications done to it from lowing a pie cut to widen the rocker panals out and stretching the wheel base at the front fenders. The motor is in full resin and was redone from the LS7 motor and has a few things changed to be replicated for this project. The interior pan is from the 66 nova kit with seats being made and in resin also with a full custom roll cage. Dash was made full custom with just the top pad part of the dash from the 66 nova kit was left. The center console was scratch built and so was the back seat console. The frame is 80 from the 66 nova kit with full custom parts being made and a change to the front end area. The rear has detail added and the center drive shaft cover will be bolted in place. The rear end start life custom made using sheet plastic for all the parts and then put into resin once I got every thing lined up. The body work has more detail work under the fenders in front and back and also there is a spoiler added into the body work in the rear. The grill has been taken apart from the bumper and then re attatched with two diffrent black paint and clear coats. So far this has been in the works for about 8 months now and hope to have it done by mid March of 2013.

That thing is cool! Your level of detail is outstanding. I am examining your rear suspension work. I am scratch building a custom rear suspension for my 53 Ford and I am trying to see what you have done. Could you post some more photos of the work you've done on yours?

Keep it up. I love this one.

Later-

The top pic is the 4 link arm that is now welded on to the rearend tube. This will have the trailing arms and also the shock hook to it. The center pic is what it looks like right now with all the embossing done to it this will high light a little more detail after it gets painted. the bottom pic is the inner rear fenders as it has the same design theme as the full rearend and the fuel tank and roll pan for the rear.

Here you can see the coil over shocks for the rear, They are from R&B Motion with my own shock as it has to be .075 shorter then there shortest one they offer, Plus I made it to have an O ring in side and it has 80 weight RC car shock oil. The center pic here shows the seats as I was making them and they was made out of the outer shell of a parts box seat and had the center section cut out and replaced with my own work using flat plastic and then the pattron was scrib in to it and then put into resin. Also you can see the roll cage now has been painted and fitted to the floor pan and waiting for the center bar to be finsh. The last pic shows all the work done to the rear before going into resin and was fitted in place so I could get the angle of the rear trailing arm right. Each part has been embossed to have a nice flow to the frame. Also you can see the drive shaft loop with the exhaust holes put in so they are tight to the frame and floor. This also acts to hold every thing in place after being bolted in.

The top pic shows the real car from RPM Hot Rods, They have been great to work with side by side on this project and also if you have face book you can follow along on there page as they are hosting some of the work that is going on. The center one is showing the rims that are done, They started life as Pegusius rims and then modified to there rims and then put into resin. The fronts are 19s with 23s in the rear, The last pic till later this after noon is the body work showing the front part of the car that is done and flush fit for the bumper, the rear spoiler as it is very little and hard to see as it flows with the body and paint lines also in the center pic you can see how the front end was stretch .100 so the wheel opening will flow with the rims. Since this pic I have smooth out the rocker panal and did some more under the front fenders so the swaybar and tie rods will fit into place. The rear end on the frame also has been worked on this moring getting in the nascar swaybar that will also be a working part.

Nope, Body has to be primer and wet sanded 3 more times before any other color goes on then it gets 2 coats of black and wet sanded between the coats and then the Sunset Bronz goes on for 5 coats with wet sanding between them. Clear 2 coats and then tap off the black on the top back by the spoiler as this has just a little detail on that and then the Red Alluera will be put on the top, rear section part by the tail lights, motor bay, and interior top. Then clear 2 coats wet sand and then 2 good coats of clear over it all to seal every thing in. Then have to go back under the rear inner fenders and paint the Du Pont hot rod flat black into the emboss parts and then do the small detail stuff under the hood before it can be complete'ly done for the body. The body should be in black by mid next week or late next week.

Also let me rephrase this, That is the prosses for each part and the body and also the chassis. The only real parts that will not be painted are the bolts and nuts and also the top, bottom of the coil spring cones and also the shock body its self. Every thing els is being done in tripples other then the body as I could only find 1 of these bodys and it took for ever to even get this one.

Here is the motor, The motor is an LS7 that I had to put into resin and redo a lot of the location of parts, I added a 4spd trans with an all new bell housing. The headers are done in a rap and painted a off metlaic black/sliver base to look like the rapping they used. The three colors on the motor it's self are black with clear coat that has a 3:1 deadner added to make it a semi gloss, The hot rod black also had a deadner added to it to flat'n it out more and then the Bronz was added. Since this pic i have added the AC hose, wire lums and also the fuel lines and the breather lines. The oil cap is made out of aluminum and painted and can be removed for detail look. The front cover had to be complete'ly rebuilt and have the Alt location move down next to the power steering and was all taken apart and casted and then bolted back together. Oil pan was also bolted in place and so was the intake. The air intake inlet also has been made and i'm waiting on my shipment for more resin so I can put the 4 parts of that into the mold and make that and get it painted.

The top pic, Was lining up the rear swaybar to make sure it's straight across. This is the bar it's self. In the middle pic showing with the rear end where the arm is located and will be hooked to the top of the rear end with him joints and aluminum bar. The swaybar arm will also be bolted tight to the swaybar its self and will be albe to move with the rear end. This is a nascar style swaybar hook up in the rear and will also have another one built the same way in the front end.