Model Cars Magazine Forum

Proper spelling for DRW pickups?

I have seen kits from various manufacturers with the spelling dooley, dualie, and duallie, but there never seems to be a consensus. Wiktionary only has a listing for dualie with one 'l' but I usually see/use dually the most.

Thoughts?

Duelly makes the most sense to me, as its only a nick name don't worry about it .

The auto company's sell duel wheel pick up trucks, not duelies.

Big rigs have duel ,or super single rear wheels.

Tires have weight ratings stamped on the sides in either single or duel ratings, not duellie ratings

Dooley is a great butterscotch liquor

Duel lie is how auto spell spells it. LOL.

I believe the least eye gouging one to look at is "dually" and it is actually a word. According to Merriam-Webster it's the adverb form of dual, though calling something a dually would not be correct at all. "That is a dually truck" is not correct vs "That truck has rear tires mounted dually" or "That truck has dually mounted tires" are. Calling them a "dualie" follows same structure as with the fuel injection slang "fuelie", so in the wild world of slang vernacular that may be considered correct. It would never be duelly or deulie, it's not slang for dueling pistols or pirates. I do not know what a dooly is and reading the definition I'm still not sure but it's definitely not a dual rear wheel truck. Dooley doesn't seem to be anything at all according to the dictionary people. I believe for a while in the late 70's and 80's GM called those 3+3 things "Big Dooley" though.

Edited by kalbert

Duelly makes the most sense to me, as its only a nick name don't worry about it .

The auto company's sell duel wheel pick up trucks, not duelies.

Big rigs have duel ,or super single rear wheels.

Tires have weight ratings stamped on the sides in either single or duel ratings, not duellie ratings

Dooley is a great butterscotch liquor

Duel lie is how auto spell spells it. LOL.

Duel, duelly, duellie, duelie: none anywhere close to correct.

"Duel" is a conflict or combat, such as dueling with pistols at 40 paces.

The correct term for paired wheels/tires is "dual." Thus, a truck with paired rear wheels/tires would be referred to as a dually or duallie, depending on the manufacturer's choice as both are slang words.

"Duel" is not correct.

Duel, duelly, duellie, duelie: none anywhere close to correct.

"Duel" is a conflict or combat, such as dueling with pistols at 40 paces.

The correct term for paired wheels/tires is "dual." Thus, a truck with paired rear wheels/tires would be referred to as a dually or duallie, depending on the manufacturer's choice as both are slang words.

"Duel" is not correct.

Agreed. I've never in my life even seen it spelled "duelly". However, if Dennis Weaver had a dually pickup instead of a Plymouth Valiant maybe Spielberg could've called the movie Duelly. But then it wouldn't have been much of a duel. :lol:

Edited by Mike77