Model Cars Magazine Forum

drano gel and epoxy

Im working on this 31 ford model A and i put the front and rear suspension together because the where all chromed, and i used 5 min. epoxy to glue them. my question is know i wanna strip the chrome off and i usually use drano gel to take the chrome off, will the drano gel also take the epoxy off and i will have to re-glue the suspension again.

I think your problem is that the stripper is taking the chrome off under where you have glued. I use Mr Clean kitchen floor cleaner to strip my chrome. Lemon smell. I usually put it in a small clear glass and watch the progress. I generally just leave it over night.

The bond between the plastic and whatever you have epoxied to the chrome will only be as good as the bond of the chrome to the plastic. The epoxy can't magically penetrate the chrome. You should always strip chrome from any areas you're going to glue FIRST, no matter what kind of glue you use.

But you're in luck. 5 minute epoxy doesn't have any strength anyway. Take it off, do it right.

Thanks guys for the info. i usually do strip all of my chrome first but i ended up switching ideas on how i wanted the paint scheme to go and it involves stripping the chrome off but o well should be easier putting the suspension together the 2nd time around lol