Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 Purchases Lindberg/Hawk

I do wonder if any more of the old IMC tooling exists... I'd love to see some of their '60s racing cars return (GT-40, etc)..

I think it was mentioned some of it went to Union in the '70s and hasn't been seen since, but some seems to have made it to Union and back to Testors. I want to say the ex-IMC '48 Ford was released by Testors after Union released their kits, but not sure...

We know the IMC Dodge L-700 tractor and all three trailers (flatbed, cargo, and tanker) still exist, as well as the Mustang II and Cougar II concepts, the 1/20 Beach Buggy, and the LRW Dodge A-100, so I bet there are others. I think the Avenger would be great to see again, but not likely to happen.

Maybe Round2 could put together some type of Budd Anderson deal together, and re-pop some of the kits he was personally involved in while working at IMC, MPC, and AMT?

I think there have been more HAWK kits released in the last few years than Lindberg, with the Silly Surfers, Bonneville racers, and some other character figure kits, too.

You just know that kit's tooling is going to be cleaned up, maybe backdated a bit, and be reissued under the AMT label in the next five years.

This is big news, and it's a sign Round2 is doing well and is financially healthy. I don't have a lot of love for many Lindberg-original kits, but some of the IMC kits have some interest to me. Maybe the Bullhorn T will be back on track, too. :)

That Bullhorn is a great kit albeit 1/16th scale, 1_925a19d44ec2eb03211389419dc0fa2b.jpgWith all the other stuff in 1/16th , lots of potential.

Edited by Greg Myers

I bet that kit's tooling is going to be cleaned up, maybe backdated a bit, and reissued under the AMT label in the next five years.

I would think they would issue Lindberg items under the Lindberg brand...Round 2 generally has been consistent lately with use of the AMT brand, the MPC brand, Polar Lights..though the '34 Ford truck I can definitely see reissued as an AMT w/ period box art..I'd bet 99% on that one, and I'm not a gambler... :)

I'd bet 99% on that one, and I'm not a gambler... :)

Not takin' that bet. :D

I wonder how much name recognition the IMC brand has, or maybe it's less about recognition and more about association for IMC, at least as far as people associating the name with kits like the Ford GT and L-700, which I recall people mention were very detailed but quite fiddly to assemble.

I got to thinking about this--it seems to me that the Lindberg '90s era kits ('53 Ford, '61 Impala, '64 Dodge & Plymouth, etc) were the first kits Lindberg ever did in 1:25th...previous Lindberg-branded 1:25th models were ex-IMC, Pyro, or Palmer tools....maybe there is something obscure I'm missing, though.

Not takin' that bet. :D

I wonder how much name recognition the IMC brand has, or maybe it's less about recognition and more about association for IMC, at least as far as people associating the name with kits like the Ford GT and L-700, which I recall people mention were very detailed but quite fiddly to assemble.

True enough...IMC was long before my time, the only IMC origin kits I have are later Testors or Lindberg reissues.

Edited by Rob Hall

I Like this, Hopefully many of the good kits will get re-issued.

I would Not be surprised to see the IMC label again with this news.

The Dodge L700 still has that logo on the Mud flaps!!

At least the ones I have do!

On that subject, What ever happened to the "New" IMC????

Forgot something,

There are some Good Hawk items.

They had the 'Washington Mint' series diecast.

(Probably the Testor's Lincoln mint line)

I saw a few I wanted. 66/67 Charger, 49/50 Mercury Convertible

Some were in Kit form too.

Too bad about the 'New IMC'

I really wanted the 3 car kits they were suppose to start with.

Seems that Testors funded the initial tooling costs, but when Lindberg was purchased from Testors I would have assumed (dangerous I know) that the tooling came with them. All of the Testors Chargers I have say "Molded for Testors by J. Lloyd Inc" on the side. I think the only Charger tooling that Testors kept was the diecast tooling which it released in the police variation literally YEARS before Lindberg burnt their warehouse down to finally run the plastic kit.

Testors never owned Lindberg, they owned Hawk. Ernie Petit and a few other guys from Testors came to J. Lloyd to run the model brands.

Ya never know what will happen next! This is a good thing for the hobby. It puts more old tools in the hands of people who respect it and know how to use it. Good for Round 2!

As far as the mythical warehouse fire, I don't believe it. That's just Ollie's back story to make the inventory sound more exciting and protect future retail sales for Lindberg / Hawk by calling the kits damaged goods being sold at a discount. Note that their story said the warehouse was in California, while the company manufacturing operation was in Michigan. Also note that it would be suspicious none of the desirable kits made it to Ollies. I believe they had just built up too much inventory that didn't sell and they had to liquidate it. Unfortunate that the quantities they dumped will satisfy market demand for some of those kits for a very long time!

The fact that they had issued a lot of old obscure kits with no rhyme or reason leads me to believe that's all the tooling that's currently viable. We can wish for reissues of the cool old 1/32 70s cars and the Mini Lindys, but we'll just have to wait and see. And I don't think we need those old rubber band powered Bonneville cars, they were a drug on the market last time around.

The 1/20 kits get a bad wrap for being the wrong scale, but darn it they build into nice models. There's quite a few of them that I wouldn't mind doing if they came around again.

You might get your wish if this one makes it through the transition and into production:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67210&page=2

Just as long as the Lindberg 1964 Dodge/Plymouth kits don't vanish I'm good.

I 'wish' they would update/modify/change the tooling to make a 1964 Dodge 2 door hardtop and a 1964 Plymouth 2 door sedan though

And a '65 Plymouth, '63 Dodge and Plymouth, etc. Though those are all readily available in resin, it would be nice to see them in styrene.