Model Cars Magazine Forum

1925 Ford Model T Pickup

Ok, so I really need another project like I need a hole in my head, but I wanted to build something quick & simple (so I picked an AMT kit :blink: ) to take my mind off of the 1974 Kenworth W900. (Not working!) The plan is to do a factory stock Model T similar to this one, but with the hard top:

model_t_zpsuqfblwyh.jpg

Here is where I stand as of right now. The frame is completed:

2015-04-10%2018.24.46_zpspwkrl4y7.jpg

And the cab & bed are assembled, but not glued on:

2015-04-10%2018.26.09_zpsjecgn3yx.jpg

2015-04-10%2018.26.25_zps6gv2ifeq.jpg

I do plan on doing it in black (Any color you want, as long as it's black!), and I'm contemplating the wood wheels to sort of break up the black. Not sure about the spare tire, yet. I also considered picking up the ICM "Henry Ford & Co." to go with this, but I'm not much of a figure painter.

http://www.icm.com.ua/news/379-henry-fordco-3-figures.html

Thanks, guys. I have to admit, Mike, that you and Harry P. were sort of the inspiration for the wood wheels. I wonder if the AMT bed will fit on the ICM 1913 Model T Roadster?

http://www.icm.com.ua/news/371-model-t-1912-roadster-american-passenger-car.html

You'd probably end up with a pickup that looks more like the 1:1 I posted.

I'm not sure if the C-cab is accurate for a 1925 Model T or not. I haven't found any reference photos od a Model T or Model TT with this cab. Doesn't mean they're not out there, just means I haven't found them. I figured that there are a bunch of parts in this kit, so what would it look like if I took the body from the Roadster but used the pickup bed instead. Well, here is the answer:
2015-04-12%2011.03.20_zpsq5t95jbz.jpg

Looks more like the 1:1 photo that I found.

Very cool guys! These 1920's models are addicting! I am currently working on no less that three! Attempting to make a period correct ambulance from the AMT '23 Ford model "T" kit, custom 1921 Model "T" ambulance featuring scratchbuilt side panels, and a lengthened '25 Fruit Wagon fire truck/ambulance (yet undecided) conversion. I'll be following your builds. The recent build by Michael Laliberte was awesome! Keep it up.

David

• 1 month later...

I finally managed to get enough bench time to get the wheels done. Are they perfect? No, but sometimes you just have the say "Enough is enough"; and move on. I want to thank Mike Laliberte (Lunnajammer) & Harry Pristovnik (Harry P.) for inspiring me to do the wood spokes.

Here's an over view:

2015-06-07%2013.37.08_zpsylraceyf.jpg

Left front wheel close-up (they all look like this):

2015-06-07%2013.37.37_zpsoh94ytjg.jpg

It's getting there:

2015-06-07%2013.38.21_zpswzg9orr6.jpg

The next step will be to fix the lean to the cab, then more black!

I have never built one of these myself and have no clue how easy or difficult this would be, but for the wheels you might be able to pick up some wooden skewers cut them to size for the wheel spokes that way they don't just look wood but actually are wood. Just a thought not sure if you like it, please feel free to comment on it though.

I actually did think of that, Jacob, after about the third coat of Testors Model Masters Wood paint. The front wheels might be easier to do that the rear wheels because if the hub size. On the rear wheels there is actually a flange behind the hub that covers a small part of the spokes. But like I stated in the original post, this was supposed to be a quick, simple build to get back into the groove.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, Marc; but yes there has been progress. Just no photos yet. I have paint on the radiator, hood, & bed; and I have the cab completely assembled. I'm going to Boston soon for a week, so I hope to have an update to this when I return. Who knows, maybe I'll even finish it!