Model Cars Magazine Forum

• 3 weeks later...

Painting a bit. covered the seats, and some work with the spare tire and frame going underneath.

I am loving my new air brush set. I went with the cheap Harbor Freight Tools Central Pneumatic Air brush kit ( with the 2 year warranty) Filter exhaust booth from Ebay. And I'm set.

post-13617-0-50879100-1428520191_thumb.j

post-13617-0-83489600-1428520192_thumb.j

post-13617-0-05775700-1428520194_thumb.j

post-13617-0-32602100-1428520195_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Don't do this... I tried the wood decal, it did not stick to the contours at all, and it tore and peeled, glue was acid. So now i have to remove it all, and do the wash paint and it will look like everyone else's. this i think is why we through projects back in their box's. it's experimenting, but I hate going backwards.

post-13617-0-98011000-1429722540_thumb.j

post-13617-0-51865800-1429722566_thumb.j

Thanks Jt and Rick, I will finish it before I start a new project. and thanks for the duck tape trick. I've never painted wash wood grain, a bit intimidated by it.

Don't be afraid, try acrylic water based paint - it will wash off if it doesn't look right to you, lay on an even light wood, tan base color & just dry brush ( using a stiff brush & a darker brown shade or whatever tone you like ) ...... the trick is to put a tiny amount of paint out & just put a very small amount on the tip of the brush .......... blot your brush on newspaper, so it is very, very dry ( and hardly showing much paint at all as you are brushing it on the newspaper ) ..... & then lightly drag the brush & allow it to do all the work & pick up the wood grain pattern. This can also be acheived on a surface without the woodgrain pattern molded in; simply by moving the dry brush in an "S" pattern & a reverse "S" pattern. a small dot here & there using dark grey, or black can duplicate knots, or holes ( imperfections), which some woods will have. When done & your happy with the wood, let dry & top coat with a clear flat, or gloss acrylic spray ....go to Walmart & check out the craft section for the paint; they have it all. Once you get the hang of it, you'll love it !!

Edited by Krazy Rick

Thanks Rick, Great tip's, And I am now excited to try. This helps so much.

I should add one thing, you want to drag the stiff dry brush over your surface, using the flat /side of the brush, remember your not trying to paint in the usual way, you want to drag it over to just hit the top of the pattern & pick out the highlights. Once you get the feel of it, you'll get it every time - glad to see your carrying on !!

• 2 weeks later...

Very impressed with this one! One question: In the early photos it looks like you left off the top of the cab roof. Was there a clearance issue with the camper's overhang?

Thank you.

Yeah It did look like clearance was going to be an issue, I thought thats why you have the option... But i do think now it would fit. And will you see it? well you did lol. Good eye Christopher!

I'm still working out the trailer hitch, BMF, and finish assembly. ready just in time for summer!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes John, I see them on ebay, last one was $55.00 sealed. no truck comes with the kit so you ad your own anyway.

I am stuck on the interior + busy life+ sickness means I'm not building to much at the moment.

Good luck with your search, Or I just might sell you mine, I'm kinda tired of looking at it, it's been 2 years.