Model Cars Magazine Forum

Final Update! '59 Buick.......8/13/06 Pg.4

MrObsessive

That's Beutifull, Bill! I love the paint work on it...That color is noting short of breathtaking.

And you say this one is not "Osessive" LOL...You passed that when you swapped the interior out my friend!!

I have a use for squished Impala body if you don't have plans for it....I have a project that needs a whole new roof grafted on...Something I've never done before, I must be hanging out too much with you :D LOL Just kidding Bill! (Seriously, if your talent could wear off on me, I'd hide in your attick :D )

Looks to me that the top picture was the original '59 Buick Pattern, and the bottom picture being a custom pattern.

I think your right Ron..............

I found another pic (not a good one) off eBay of an original Invicta 4 dr hardtop, and it shows the pattern like the first one also.

I'll have to spend some time and make sure both sides are symmetrical because of the radii of the white trim on the front and rear seats. :shock:

At least I won't use as much of the decal sheet! :D

Bill that ole Buick is hot lookin. How do you get that foil to lay down so tight, looks like it was a trim insert..

Thanks for the compliment Ken!

The secret to Bare Metal Foil is first, make sure the surface to which it's going to lay on is baby face smooth! BMF hides nothing so if the surface that it's on is orange peeled, or is showing signs of unfinished bodywork, it'll show right through the BMF.

Then Burnish, Burnish, Burnish!! :D That's what gets rid of the "grainy like" look on the sheet and gives it it's shine!

Of course, there are different degrees of shine to chrome between bumpers and window trim, etc, but on a model the difference isn't always that apparent.........It's always best to shine up the BMF as much as possible, to give the best appearance.

That's Beutifull, Bill! I love the paint work on it...That color is noting short of breathtaking.

And you say this one is not "Osessive" LOL...You passed that when you swapped the interior out my friend!!

I have a use for squished Impala body if you don't have plans for it....I have a project that needs a whole new roof grafted on...Something I've never done before, I must be hanging out too much with you :D LOL Just kidding Bill! (Seriously, if your talent could wear off on me, I'd hide in your attick :D )

Thanks for the nice words Billy!

Actually, I do have a use for the body....................a test bed for upcoming paint schemes.

Shhhhhh....upcoming project in the works! :twisted:

If nothing else I was gonna do the same thing you're gonna do........and that is maybe down the road swap the roof for a 4 dr hardtop conversion! 8)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay Guys and Gals...........I've been off work since Friday, and here's what I've accomplished so far on the Buick's interior.........

I added the plastic where this was cut out before. I have to remember to put some putty where the areas were cut. I don't think the flocking will necessarily cover this when applied.

P6260516-vi.jpg

I'm trying to "level" the surface of the rear seat...........pretty much like the 1:1 pic shows me. I'm using Tamiya putty here (GOOD STUFF!) instead of the Dynatron. For small areas like this, it's better for me to use Tamiya putty

P6270517-vi.jpg

This pic shows how I needed to fill in the rear speaker area. I like to fill areas in with as much plastic as possible............then use putty to fill in the rest. This minimizes shrinkage in that area, although Tamiya putty shrinks very little if at all.

P6290518-vi.jpg

The work is pretty much done for the rear seat....................I used Tamiya white primer to cover everything since I need a white background for the upholstery decal. I'm not sure why this pic has a "sepia" look to it........:shock:

P7020521-vi.jpg

I'm not good at making seats look "vinyl" with paint. So to counteract that, I've covered the seat with wide masking tape. Some will be trimmed away for the decals, but this is pretty much done for the rear seat save for painting it.

P7020536-vi.jpg

Okay, now on to the front seat, using the same technique for the rear seat, Tamiya putty was used again to make the surface more level.

P7030537-vi.jpg

Same was done for the back of the seat.

P7030538-vi.jpg

I smoothed everything out with 220 grit sandpaper..........so far so good. This will also be covered with masking tape when all is said and done.

P7030539-vi.jpg

Whhhooooo!! Your eyes are not deceiving you, but I wouldn't stare at it too long! :lol:

If you stare at it and it's starts to spin.......you've just hit The Twilight Zone! :lol: Actually this is a closeup of the decal upholstery pattern from Scale Motorsport. It's not 100% exact to the Buick pattern, but very close to what's needed.

P7030542-vi.jpg

Whoops!

I forgot to putty the sides of the seats and also the top! :shock: I had to sand down the sides of the front seats because '59 Invictas didn't have the chrome accent piece unlike Chevy Impalas of the same year.

When everything is said and done, I'll add some .015 piping for some detail.

P7040543-vi.jpg

This is the dash that came from the resin kit. While not bad, it's kinda narrow, (doesn't fit flush with the windshield post) to be fair though, I have an old plastic builtup and it fits the same way.

I'll add some putty to the sides and "widen" it out....................and then send it out to be chrome plated. This will make it much, much easier to detail down the road.

P7040544-vi.jpg

Well what's next on the agenda?

Finish up the front seat, and then get to work on the dash and then the side panels..........I'm sure I'll get this done in time for the September show! (I hope!) :mrgreen:

Stay tuned and thanks for lookin'!

WHOOPS!! I meant to add this link for those of you wanting to see BIG pics........

http://public.fotki.com/MrObsessive/1959_buick_invicta/

The seat pattern your using , is that a decal or computer generated ? That is gonna look great with your exterior color...

Hi Ken,

That is a decal from Scale Motorsport........I used the macro setting on my digicam to blow things up a bit! :lol:

The 1:1 car has some gray in the checkerboard pattern, but that's way too tiny to make a big deal about it in 1/25 scale. :wink:

Ahhh yes, I was going through a decal book at a hobby shop I always stop at when I'm in Oklahoma , and Scale Motorsport offers many styles and carbon fiber sheets , good stuff . I'll be lookin' for the finnished interior pics on your Buick ..

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the latest on the interior so far...............

I started with a base of Tamiya Dark Yellow for the seats since I'm trying to replicate the copperish color of the 1:1. This was done after I had covered the seats in masking tape to replicate a vinyl pattern.

P7100569-vi.jpg

When the paint dried I then airbrush Tamiya Clear Orange over the Dark Yellow. The color is actually a bit lighter than shown due to the photo being taken under a flourescent light.

P7110570-vi.jpg

I need a white background for the upholstery decal which will follow. I painted some decal paper with Tamiya White Primer, let dry, and then covered the areas I needed with Microscale Liquid Decal Film. This toughens up the decal paper since it was painted, so as not to make for frustration later! :D

P7180607-vi.jpg

P7190608-vi.jpg

Here is Scale Motorsport Upholstery Decal used here. I'm trying to replicate the '59 pattern as close as possible...........the 1:1 has some color in the little checkerboards.........so this is as good as it's gonna get! :) Please forgive the slightly jagged edges............I had to do all of this freehanded! :wink:

P7220625-vi.jpg

P7220626-vi.jpg

The floor needs some flocking..............I had no copper colored flocking, and it was really nasty and stormy here today, so no trip to the hobby shop! I figured if all else fails.........go with black! :lol: I like to paint my sections one square or so at a time......this will ensure that everything comes out even and not mottled looking.

P7220627-vi.jpg

After I paint the section, I very gently pat down the flocking and then blow off the excess. I recommend if your sensitive to flocking dust.................wear a respirator! :shock:

P7220628-vi.jpg

This is what I use to "sift" the flocking.......a simple kitchen strainer! Costs about $1.50 in the store. I recommend you find one that has a tight mesh................otherwise the flocking will come out in clumps and add to your frustration! :x

P7220629-vi.jpg

Okay, she looks all nice and even.............maybe a touch up here and there, but the front seat will cover up most of the floor. This'll be set aside for a spell to dry thoroughly.

P7220630-vi.jpg

I did something about the narrow dash.......I superglued plastic strip on the sides and then primered the area. I then took my old standby---------Dynatron Putty Cote and then puttied the sides.

P7220631-vi.jpg

After the putty thoroughly dried, I smoothed everything out and then test fit the dash.............sanding away whatever was making a tight fit in the dash.

P7220632-vi.jpg

Here's the dash test fit against the cowl. I may make a "bar" to go across side to side to support the dash instead of relying on the door panels to uphold the dash. I hate dashes that sit so sunken down that it detracts from the appearance when looking at the model from the outside.

P7220634-vi.jpg

P7220635-vi.jpg

Now the front seat is epoxied in and everything looks kosher so far. I even put some mags in the front seat for "character". Pay no attention to the naughty mag on the end! :P

P7220636-vi.jpg

Well, it's on to do the door panels......those should be fairly simple as '59 Buick Invicta's did not have an elaborate pattern. I was going to send out the dash..........but on second thought I can achieve what I want by BMF. Hopefully I can get the whole model wrapped up by next week or so! :D

Thanks for lookin'!

Good morning Bill

About the vinyl structure on roof or seats, try this...(I wrote it in the '78 MC thread a while ago)!

The vinyl structure I made with ethyl acetate and a bristle brush. Here are some pictures from the making of vinyl structure what I did on my '67 Charger (the Revell kit). This kit also have no vinyl roof but it is not a mistake, Chargers are build with and without vinyl roof. But I want to have a Charger with it because I build my best friends original car (it is a "White Hat Special Charger" Edition).

You need ethyl acetate and a bristle brush

vinyl3.jpg

Then you coat the roof with ethyl acetate step by step, and with the old bristle brush you presses the structure into the softened plastic, repeat it until the structure is real. The next pictures are looking "wild"....

vinyl1.jpg

vinyl2.jpg

After painting with semi gloss black the vinyl is looking like this...

vinyl4.jpg

vinyl5.jpg

The same way I did it on the '78 MC.

Your Invicta is very very beautifull speechless.gif. I love these cars from the'50s.

Greetings from Germany

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Okay Ladies and Gentlemen.........this'll be the final update as I intend to finish this one this week upcoming.............definitely by next weekend!!

This past week I've been struggling with the dashboard as it had to be modified somewhat to fit with the new interior. I can tell you it was a real ^%@#$?!!*! to get this thing to be the way I wanted it! I think because this is a repop and not the original kit is why I was having difficulties. Don Holthaus obviously uses a much thinner "glass" than the original (a GOOD thing!) which is what made the dash ill fitting in respect to the cowl.

Anyway......here's what I've done to date.........

Since I don't like just epoxying dashboards in place........running the risk of smearing the windshield with epoxy..............I like to run a support beam across the cowl to place the dash. The ensures that the dash will sit at the right height and not depend on the side panels for support.

P8070671-vi.jpg

Here's how it would look from a top view.......

P8070673-vi.jpg

Here's the somewhat completed dash............it took several painting tries to get this right! For some reason I couldn't get the paint I used for the seats to come out a different shade for the dash without it coming out looking really puckey! Taking a tip from Peter Lepold, I used Humbrol #9 brown paint on the dash and then put it in the dehydrator for about 4 hours at 105 degrees.

On the steering wheel, I cut out the molded in horn ring and replaced it with one I made from bead wire................I simply wrapped the wire around something of like diameter, and then soldered the ends together. I think it looks a lot more realistic than that too thick piece that was molded on. On the inside diameter of the ring, I flowed some epoxy on the "spoke", let dry, then painted it black, and then painted it with Alclad to get the nice bright polished aluminum look.

There was nothing I could do about the center badge..............I think it's supposed to say "Power Steering" or something like that. :D

P8100675-vi.jpg

Here's the dash as it now sits in the car sans the interior...............I have added a gearshift selector and turn signal stalk this time............something I forgot on the '61 Cadillac! :lol: I may try to paint the windshield pillars........I wanted to add plastic to cover that area, but I'm afraid it will come out looking too "bulky" in those sections.

P8130677-vi.jpg

The interior side panels were painted this morning and are in the dehydrator as this is written...........they're pretty quite plain with just a white stripe to distinguish them a bit. They'll be detailed with handles and the stripes and then I can get the front and rear bumpers, tailights on, and call this one DONE! :D

BTW, I noticed as of today there are 1522 HITS of this thread!! All I can say is thank so much for taking the time to look. I'll have to admit that this may be the last model from me for a while as I will be moving (AGAIN :!:) so until I get settled there won't be much model doings! :D

Thanks for lookin'!