Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvette XP45C

Peter Lombardo

Corvette XP45C

Here is my Concept Corvette XP45C completed. The name stands for eXperimental Prototype 45 inches high Coupe.

As a recap, here is the genesis of this car. This car began life as a few drawings that I created about 6 or 7 weeks ago, both included here: 4113274891_77cec8d918.jpg4115606909_45065ce622.jpg

From the drawings, I build a clay model of the car in two parts. Part one is the complete upper 2/3rds of the car and the second part is just the front and rear lower fascia’s and the lower side panels. 4145675610_c3ef3f30a6.jpg

Once the molds were complete I vacuum formed the body in white styrene and then made a vacuum copy in clear styrene so I could have the windows and doors ready formed with the body contours.

4145676100_4fb56fefc4.jpg4196794833_34bd40d5f7.jpg

Next I stretched the Corvette C5 chassis to the required wheelbase and set it up for a rear mounted engine. 4197548634_c9186ea4a3.jpg

I removed the driveshaft between the engine and transaxle to create an engine ready for rear mounting. The chassis was built up and I added wheels and tires from the current Revell Camaro kit. I gave the front wheels the ability to turn because I like the way they look when they are angled out of the body. 4197547040_39891e6cab.jpg

The engine was built with the intake manifold on backwards because the intake comes from the rear. I added tanks and radiators to the side of the engine, left side, oil tank and cooler and right side, Tran’s oil and cooler. Above the side mounted coolers is the intake for the engine air intake on both sides. I topped off the fuel tank in the rear and covered it with carbon fiber decals. 4196793105_54513bfa28.jpg

The gasoline filler cap is in the center of the tank and is accessible from the opening in the rear deck. Frame supports were added from the rear firewall to the fuel tank in the rear. On the rear wheel covers and at the center of the rear deck, you can see the small cameras for the rear views for the video display and high up on the top above the rear window opening, you can see the third stop light mounting. 4196794517_11af0c133c.jpg

4197547650_687e82eb97.jpg

The body had its window/doors, windshield, rear window and engine cover engine window opened up. All of the “glass†parts were cut from the clear vacuum formed body and carefully sanded to fit into the openings. The lower panels were epoxied to the main body and all joints were puttied and sanded smooth. 4197547524_6cd2fa9bf1.jpg

The body was cut where the rear body cover and the front body were designed to open. 4197547150_f82d8f861b.jpg

The rear cover, which includes the rear wheel spats hinges to the rear and opens up. 4196793447_fb2ab46e60.jpg

The tail lights were created by cutting four round holes in the rear deck, which were enlarged and had a plastic piece the length of the circumference glued in so that when sanded down, I had a small lip around the outside of the light opening. The inside was sealed off and the light “hole†was slightly overfilled with a mix of Tamiya Clear Red and clear 5 minute epoxy. The headlight openings were boxed in from the inside and M.U. lenses used in H.O. train cars were glued in as projector light lens and turn signals. The front and rear grille is a wire mesh left in an Aluminum color intentionally.

The interior has the seats from the Corvette Z06 and photo etched 4 point Willians racing seatbelts. 4196794043_8dcc6ecfb1.jpg

The completely scratch built dash and side walls are covered with bronze hue carbon fiber decals and on the dash is a large video screen. A variety of photo etched buttons were added to the side panels, dash panel and lower dashboard. Rising up from the center between the seats is a small console that houses the “joy stick†control for the car. This stick, in theory, would have controls for the steering, accelerator, brakes and the views on the video screen. The views can be switched between, rearview camera views, navigation, engine and speed information and all entertainment and communication systems. Along with the video views, there would also be controls to turn on or off the “heads up†display which would project on the inner windshield the speed, engine revolutions (tachometer) and necessary engine info.

The window/doors are hinged from the very front and the rear deck is hinged from the rear for engine accessibility. 4196792971_9b9ce47e3e.jpg

As I have stated previously, ingress and egress (getting in and out of this car) would be very difficult…yeah, I know, but this is fantasy after all, so it is fine with me. Even though the doors open all the way up, I built a catch in to hold the doors open at about 40 degrees open. The interior was intentionally designed to be tight because I wanted to convey the feeling of flying a jet fighter on the ground. The windshield has the look and feel of a jet fighter, and with the joy stick, video monitor and the heads up display, the feeling would be complete. I added the windshield wiper that was omitted from the drawing, but would be necessary in “road useâ€.

The body has a multi layer paint job. After primer, which was lightly sanded, two coats of Appliance White were applied. Once dry, they were lightly sanded. Next the car received a coat of Pearl White for depth. After that, I mixed up a batch of Clear lacquer with Gold Interference micro powder pigment mixed in. This is a mild “flip flop†paint. It looks either Pearl White, Light Gold or Pale Silver depending upon the angle and the lighting and sometimes, I can even see a very light green hue in the top color. On the bottom of the car, I air brushed on Mopar Desert Sand Metallic which is an earthy dark Gold color which fades up to the top color. I intentionally used Bronze Carbon Fiber decals to help contrast the body color and the tan seat leather. 4197543450_f69d592fc9.jpg

So, obviously, I am pretty happy (duh!!!!) with this build. It is the first completed (Aero Coupe will be next) completely self designed and molded car for me. I just love the idea of creating vehicles completely from my ideas. Once the Aero Coupe is complete, which should be in a few weeks, I will start the Viper Concept car that I have (rough concept drawings) drawn out 4182595222_530f9253ab.jpg, followed by the Chrysler 300EX

4181832873_90af7c9d76.jpg sedan. I also have a Ferrari and a generic sports prototype drawn out, so they will follow the Viper XRT10 concept. I have so many ideas for concept cars rattling around in my head that I may never build another straight kit car again, well, actually, I have a few F1’s and sports cars that I want to build, but this whole process of designing and building the car from scratch is just too rewarding to stop doing now.

This turned out awsome .You did a great job pulling everything together .I like the consistency of the build from start to finish and the color looks great also but I bet it looks even better in person. The only thing I am on the fence on is the rear wheels being covered but I think you pulled that off as well .keep up the great work I look forward to seeing your other concepts come to fruition and the wip is a treasure trove of info thanks for taking on such an ambitious build and showing how you did it .

Oh man.. you're done?? !!! I'm still trying to finish my first kit car for 2009! ehhe :lol:

This turned out spectacular! I love the way this looks and it looks like it was from a kit! Fantastic job!!!

The sketches for future bodies look exciting.. gonna be a good year for watching coming up! :P

I hope that you get a job at GM. They could use a designer like you, and I would mind my tax dollars paying your salary :lol: . I majored in industrial design at AIP and we had to do models like that, but none of us could do what you did with that Corvette. Really great idea that looks fantastic. Can't wait for the 300 or whatever is next. You should call that the Dogbone Vette.

Edited by 1972 Satellite

What took you so long? :P:lol: Boy, this one went together at the speed o' light. Ain't inspiration a beautiful thing?

Speaking of beautiful, this is one gorgeous car. I agree about the color. It really shows off the (quite literally) sculptured surface development. How frustrating that I will probably never see this stunning machine in real life and will have to content myself with on-line pictures! I would love to see some more "plain vanilla" side, front and rear 3/4 view shots so I can savor the flowing lines.

Gentleman, I truly greatly appreciate your extremely kind words. It means so much to me to have you guys understand this build. Thank you...I can't wait to get the Aero Coupe done and move on to the next one...this really is fun. Thanks again, I really do appreciate it.

IMHO Peter This is the MODEL OF THE YEAR

that is just awesome! like someone mentioned, if you arent an automotive engineer at GM, you sure ought to be! and the execution of the design is breathtaking! im totally impressed and another vote for model of the year (though i would have to review the candidates!)