Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '67 Dodge Coronet- Foose Edition

Casey

If you thought the '68 Firebird's box art sketch was misleading, you better be sitting down for this one!: :lol:

Same deal as the '68 Firebird- same '67 Dodge Coronet R/T kit with new Foose-designed wheels, lo-pro tires to match, and a custom bumblebee style tail stripe decal.

E3F6AD89-E472-4B89-91DB-892CB818C165-14116-000003DD72B7DC5C.jpg

Looking at pics of the real deal, it appears the "art" is more deceptive than the actual car. Looks quite doable, minus the inherent problems with the Coronet kit.

81B0898F-4891-4016-8FBA-8DFFAA29618F-14116-000003DC27901869.jpg

Oh, and the real car had a 5.7 Hemi, I think. Why does the box depict a super low, chopped top car? Are those Foose drawings or something Revell made up?

These kits appear to be mainly a draw for new builders as most seasoned folks aren't too impressed with he marketing (hence a long diatribe about the firebird).

Edited by Erik Smith

Looks like the 1:1 (and the box art) has a different grille...non-R/T grille maybe? The wheels look pretty good in the built kit photo.

I've wanted to customize one of these.. think it would look good w/ the grille from the '67 Charger w/ the hidden headlights.

I don't know, I just picked up the other Foose kit just to have on in case I want to steal the new wheels, etc . . . it might go the same for this one.

I wish they would at least throw extra lowered suspension parts into these.

Decals and wheels alone might not be very much of a convincing factor. I much rather save my dough for the 62 Corvette. Just my opinion.

I find it amusing that there's all the whining about this release, especially all the "it doesn't match the picture" part and supposed "4x4 stance" it has (sits awfull low for a 4x4). Comparing it to the concept drawing, sure it doesn't match. But try this, look up the concept drawings for any vehicles, custom, hot rod, production, Hot Wheels, whatever. Then compare them to the final product. I'll guarantee you that they will not match 100%. Stance will be wrong, wheels won't match, etc. Concept drawing like that are almost always exagerations of what the final product will be. Foose, while a great artist and designer, is no exeption to this. Comparing this kit to the 1 picture shown of the actual car, other than the engine being wrong, it looks pretty close. Stance is similar, wheels look right. Granted, I'm sure there's plenty of subtle things that they did that are not in the kit.

>These kits appear to be mainly a draw for new builders as most seasoned folks aren't too impressed

Really? because heres how i see that scenerio playing out:

mom: why dont you take up a hobby and buy a nice model car kit, freddy?

freddy: oh kool heres a Foose whatever that old thing is and it looks all low and purple and stuff! this is neat, i can really build one of my heroes (cough) car right out of this kit!

on getting home and unwrapping kit:

mom: how is the model coming freddy?

freddy: oh that thing is stupid it sits like a 4X4 and all the kool stuff isnt there. its dumb and so is building models. im sticking to my X-box and iPhone!

mom: thats nice dear.

Like my daddy used t'say "you all would complain if they hung you with a new rope." Basically, you all ain't happy unless you're complaining! I thought it was the full moon but that's passed, maybe it's the weather. :huh:

If the complaining stopped , I think this place would almost turn into a ghost town :lol:

I don't know, I kinda like it. I see potential. I mean really, do you guys build kits exactly like the instructions say right out of the box?

As far as the picture, a lot of the kits I built as a kid were nothing like the box art. It didn't dissuade me at all.

Edited by dmk

Like my daddy used t'say "you all would complain if they hung you with a new rope." Basically, you all ain't happy unless you're complaining! I thought it was the full moon but that's passed, maybe it's the weather. :huh:

I wouldn't! I'd be too busy pleading for my life to worry about the condition of the rope. :lol:

I'm not gonna complain about this one because I'm not going to buy it. Revell has plenty more kits and subjects I want more than this either already available or in the cards. From there, my only complaint will have nothing to do with the kits themselves, but with me a) not being able to afford to get them all within a reasonable timeframe and B) actually FINISH any of them in a reasonable timeframe. B)

It's nice that they did a Foose styled 67' Coronet. However, not really the style of car for the execution. Had Revell done an all new 68' Dodge Coronet years ago instead of the 67' Coronet R/T; that would have been better suited as a Foose edition model. In my opinion a sleeker body with custom wheels . This would sell better than the 67'.

Which brings me to another question. Does anyone know why Revell even chose to kit a 67' Coronet R/T instead

of a 68'? How did they determine that the 67' was the year to go with?

Which brings me to another question. Does anyone know why Revell even chose to kit a 67' Coronet R/T instead

of a 68'? How did they determine that the 67' was the year to go with?

Probably because they already had the similar '67 Charger and '67 GTX, so it wasn't much effort to do a '67 Coronet.. Maybe they also thought a '68 would be too similar to the '69 they already have.

Edited by Rob Hall

Monogram already made a 69 Coronet 440+6, AMT was making the 68 Road Runner, 69 GTX, and 70 Super Bee, Monogram did a 70 GTX and Road Runner. The 68-70 B body market was pretty crowded while they already had a good tooling for a 67 GTX that was easily converted.

Edited by Fat Brian

Take a look at every piece of Foose artwork he does for every Overhaulin' build. Everyone of them shows the vehicle slammed to the ground, when the real car is not nearly slammed down that hard.

I said it in the Firebird thread, the model looks closer to the real car, than the illustration does, and the Coronet (and I am sure the Charger and Impala coming next year), will be no different.

• 3 weeks later...