Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Cuda, all aluminum hemi

vintagedragfan

Bill,

I have watched most of your work on this forum and this is in the stratosphere. To take a block of aluminum and tool a engine that is this

small is stunning.

I worked in a plastic factory as a mold setter for almost 25 yrs. before our work was outsourced. I worked with many tool makers on new

builds, but never dreamed that something this small could be made.

Ron

Bill... I need to pick my jaw off the floor Bud.... Holy Crapola this thing is awesome. I really need to just shell out some dough and buy the lathe I have been wanting...lol. Nice work man. I can't wait to see you do another 1/16th scale build ;)

Chris, thanks man, it just so happens I just bought an old Mickey Thomson, Grand Am 1/16 F.C. :D I am really hoping the deacals havent went south in it!

Bill,

I have watched most of your work on this forum and this is in the stratosphere. To take a block of aluminum and tool a engine that is this

small is stunning.

I worked in a plastic factory as a mold setter for almost 25 yrs. before our work was outsourced. I worked with many tool makers on new

builds, but never dreamed that something this small could be made.

Ron

Ron, this is something I have all ways dreamed of doing,I am having a great time figuring all this stuff out, I guess it really is a dream come true to hold an all aluminum engine in the palm of my hand finally! thank you

This is awesome!!! If this wasn't machined in an CNC you have a such talent and highly expertise with Mill secrets!! Please let me know!! I'm learning a lot!!!

Cheers!

no secrets here Cesar, I am just using good ol common sense! I have all ways been artistic, and fairly good at figuring things out I guess, lol

thanks Joe

Tyrone I appreciate it Bro!!

Joe, it does end up a fairly big expense, the mill is one thing, but its no good with out all of the tooling needed to use it! lol I still need (WANT) a lot of things, the cheapest DRO I have seen is 7 bills! not gonna happen anytime soon!! thanks for checkin on the progress man!

here is the water pump starting to take shape, it is 5 separate pieces, the housing, the pump, the lower neck, and the thermostat housing is 2 pieces. and also got the oil pump done and ready for a filter.IMG_1128-vi.jpgIMG_1130-vi.jpgIMG_1131-vi.jpgIMG_1132-vi.jpgthanks for looking!

Beautiful work ... But I don't think this is CNC'd considering in the above picture there is the top of a CNC table. Not calling you a liar...

Beautiful work ... But I don't think this is CNC'd considering in the above picture there is the top of a CNC table. Not calling you a liar...

• QuoteHomer, that is the mill table you see, most CNC's are mills with computer drivin motors that attach where the hand cranks would be, you can not tell by this picture if it is a CNC mill, that is a $3000.00 upgrade, not gonna happen here, you are more than welcome to stop by any time and have a look..
  • MultiQuote

Still watching. Still awestruck. Incredible work.

By the way, I kinda thought I was a passable machinist 'til i saw this. Your freehand skills with a mill are truly inspiring. I gotta practice, practice, practice. Man, your stuff is nice.

thank you very much William, really appreciate that! I asked alot of questions to others who have machining experience, they were kind enough to give me some pointers

Just looked like a cnc to me... My dads a machinist for 15 years and he programs machines and writes programs as well.. so maybe I can see if I can't do something like this !

thanks Homer, here is the mill as she sits in my garage, notice the hand cranks on the table, I'm probably not smart enough to program if it was a CNC, lolIMG_0701-vi.jpg