Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jolly Roger Merc - back on the bench 8/30/15

Jantrix

You might try using a finer brush to be able to make thinner points on the palm fronds and things. Also, you might need to thin the paint some to keep it from chunking up. I have tried to use those hobby acrylic paints and after you paint for a bit the brush begins to gob up with half dried paint.

Guys, I need an honest critique here guys. Please pull no punches. You cannot hurt my feelings.

Honestly Rob, I think it would have looked cool to make the body look like it was made from sea weathered wood. Paint it a dark gray and outline the planks and add wood grain to it. But, with the paint job you have, I think you just need to get rid of the palm trees or make them much smaller. To me, the outline you have around the map looks right. I don't think it should look perfect. If you could make the map look wrinkled and crumpled up would help too. The interior is just too cool!!

Thanks Roger I appreciate it. And that goes for everyone else who gave me the feedback I'm needing. I have WAY to much work in this to go half-assed now. I'm leaning hard toward starting the body over again. The palm trees and some of the other detail I tried to paint (trust me it wasn't pretty) look too much like a kid with a crayon. I'm even unhappy with the dotted line. It's too large and the paint dried so fast it was hard to get all the tape off so some dashes look ragged. I'm thinking that I might want to look into doing the map mural with actual maps made into decals. I have set the model back into the box until I figure this out.

Please continue to chime in if you have an opinion, much appreciated.

Bruce, that's my middle name brother.

Edited by Jantrix

Personally, I think I would go here to images.google.com, type in pirate map (link below to make it easier

http://images.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1133&bih=524&q=pirate+map&oq=pirate+map&gs_l=img.3..0l10.299035.301098.0.301801.10.9.0.0.0.0.406.1048.0j1j2j0j1.4.0...0.0...1ac.1.RmzH-sx0EZo

and get an image or two, and make decals. I say personally because I can not write my own name and have it look decent.

here are a couple of examples

blank%20pirate%20map.jpg

Can you get a decend square on picture of the side of the car? If so, post it up here and let us have a go at doing some artwork for you! I recently did a London Taxi for a German friend, he wanted advertising of the products my company sells so I made decals that covered each section of the body sides fitting really close to the edges of each panel. Unfortunately I haven't any pictures to illustrate what I mean, but believe me, it looked OK.

Kelly, I appreciate the ideas and the enthusiasm, and keep it up on both counts, but I'd rather not have someone doing it for me. You guys have all been great with ideas and feedback and the odd part or three, and I am very appreciative, but I've been looking forward to doing the mural since I started this build. I'm not very successful my first time out the gate, but I'm just that much more determined to get it right.

Thanks though.

The body and the hood is in the dip. Since I used just rattle can enamels it shouldn't take too long to strip. The trunk is in good shape with just the skull and crossbones so I'll keep that one. Then I will spend some time re-preping the body and then I will repaint the black and the rough map shape but no dotted lines this time. I will print decals to represent the map and the compass rose. I will also try a lighter shade of tan for the paper. The only thing I will add with a paint brush is the dark worn/oxidized border on the paper.

More soon.

Edited by Jantrix

Rob:

I love what your doing with this car !!

Your doing a great job.

The interior is magnificent !

Here is a suggestion for you. It's just an idea. And maybe I'm too late with this idea.

How about if you decoupage an old map, or pirate maps on to the outside of the car.

Like this:

mapp-vi.jpg

mappp-vi.png

Add the maps to only certain sections of the body.

You could seperate the mapped area with a border. Maybe a wood border.

Kind of like I did here with this car:

z15-vi.jpg

I know the body of the car is very rounded, so you may have to create a border of roap or something else.

Just an idea..................

Jim thanks very much for chiming in. Your work is what inspired this one. I had considered using decoupage, but I really want this to look like something that could have been done in 1:1 and a real car would have air brushed effects or vinyl appliques. Also I think just applying the paper would be a nightmare. I think making some decals is the way I'm gonna go.

Ray, thanks for the tip, I'll give it some thought.

I'm very appreciative of all the interest and advice from everyone. I'm really pleased you guys seem to like the work.

Jim thanks very much for chiming in. Your work is what inspired this one. I had considered using decoupage, but I really want this to look like something that could have been done in 1:1 and a real car would have air brushed effects or vinyl appliques. Also I think just applying the paper would be a nightmare. I think making some decals is the way I'm gonna go.

Ray, thanks for the tip, I'll give it some thought.

I'm very appreciative of all the interest and advice from everyone. I'm really pleased you guys seem to like the work.

Thank you for the compliment !!

OK I get it. Decals would be great.

Yeah, I wish I could airbrush nice looking artwork. About all I can do is stick people.

Edited by Hollywood Jim

Well after some serious Google map perusal, I'm going to make some decals based on maps (charts) of the Caribbean and the Spanish Main rather than a treasure map. I just could not find any that look decent.

Thanks Russ, I hope to have more for you soon.

• 1 year later...