Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finished this one today.

Finnish plates and 80- badge which means that one can´t drive faster than 80 km/h with a van this old. Stupid finnish law...

finished1-vi.jpg

finished2-vi.jpg

finished3-vi.jpg

Satco whitewalls, older Dodge van hubcaps and nose drop.

finished4-vi.jpg

finished5-vi.jpg

finished6-vi.jpg

Older Dodge van grille with AMT Chevy Van custom grille surrounding.

finished7-vi.jpg

finished8-vi.jpg

finished10-vi.jpg

Comments and questions are more than welcomed, thanks for looking!

Edited by Antikainen

I remember the brochures that pictured the widish (about 1") whitewalls available as an option, not quite like that, but still looks good.

That is a rather strange law. I suppose they presume anything that old is either rusted to bits or is poorly maintained? And yes, a rather dumb one.

The protruding side-markers at the front are interesting. Is that a Finnish regulation, or was that how the part was molded?

Nicely done either way.

Charlie Larkin

That is a rather strange law. I suppose they presume anything that old is either rusted to bits or is poorly maintained?

Or not built to handle well at higher speeds?

This is a great looking model. You did everything very cleanly. Well done sir.

I remember the brochures that pictured the widish (about 1") whitewalls available as an option, not quite like that, but still looks good.

That is a rather strange law. I suppose they presume anything that old is either rusted to bits or is poorly maintained? And yes, a rather dumb one.

The protruding side-markers at the front are interesting. Is that a Finnish regulation, or was that how the part was molded?

Nicely done either way.

Charlie Larkin

I think there´s not one sensible reason for that law.

Vans that has been taken to street use 1980 or earlier, or weight more than 1,875 kg are restricted to 80 km/h speed limit.

If van weights less than 1,875 kg or has been taken to street use 1981 or later it is restricted to 100 km/h speed limit.

There are also several regulations for minimum dimensions of cargo area, all quite complicated..

Those protruding side markers are in fact turn signals. American style side marker lights were not allowed in our country, or at least red marker lights had to be changed to amber ones. Common practice is to remowe light bulbs from marker lights. Fender - assembled turn signals are a must.

I took those turn signals from VW kit to represent cheap aftermerket ones that owner had to install in order to get this vans registered here in Finland.

Also, american style sealed beam- headlights are not legal here because they show too much light upwards. So headlights must be replaced to european ones.

Stupid.

I nearly rear ended a learner on Monday 'cause I was sitting at the 100kph limit and they were at the 80 they are restricted to in New South Wales.

It's a stupid law that adds a new hazard instead of mitigating risk.

Anyway, nice build. I love it when people make them local.