Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMC Community Build

Chuck Most

With the arrival of the Moebius Hudson Hornet (which is a year too old to be a true AMC product, but falls into the AMC 'heritage brand' category), and the impending reissue of AMT's Gremlin and Jo-Han's '59 Rambler, I'm wondering if there'd be any interest in an AMC community build. The rules would be pretty simple.

1. Has to be an AMC product of course, this would include AMC, Rambler, Nash, and Hudson. Not aware of any Eagle kits, but if you have a Mitsubishi Eclipse kit and want to turn it into a Talon, have at it. We would be drawing the line with Renaults, though.

2. It can be any scale or material- styrene, resin, diecast, or any combination.

3. It does not need to be a project started specifically for this build- it can be a long-abandoned project you'd just like to finally finish.

I think this would be my project- its an AMT Ramblur snap kit with the hood and trunk cut open, perched on an AMT '66 Pro Street Nova chassis.

00001370006933_500702_450389_n-vi.jpg

Any interested parties?

Edited by Chuck Most

It would be great to join in. Is there any deadline, if there is then I can't finish my projects on time. AND if it is allowed, I'd like to join with these two Projects. They are stuck right now, but I'd like to continue them. So I join in with these two, if it's ok. If not, I understand very well, because these are started long time ago and they are started already. But still lots of work ahead.

'69 AMC AMX Drag On Lady http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31214&st=0

'73 AMC Javelin Super Stock http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32293&st=0

I could post those pictures here also, or then I could start posting next updates here and to those WIP threads, just like you want. If I can join in. But I'm very interested anyway.

Count me in with an MPC '76 Pacer annual that I'm restoring for my mom as a replica of a car that she bought new. I originally built it back before she got the 1:1 car. She had an old Chevy II that she wanted out of, and for some reason she really wanted a Pacer. I built the model so she would have one on the shelf at work to look at and dream of getting the real deal. The model was a sapphire blue Pacer X... The real car turned out to be a red base model with 3-on-the-tree! I have the model's bucket seats joined into a reasonable facsimile of her car's split bench, and the dog-dish hubcaps from the AMT '62 Pontiac Super Duty should be close enough for the job. I was thinking of entering this one in the "Glue Bomb" CBP. bit I already have a couple of entries in that one. Over the past several years, I've found that I have more fun rebuilding them than building new out of the box.

Am I the first one who is posting pictures, except Chuck on that first post? :blink: I'm too lazy to write that long story again, so here you go, with copy-paste. :lol:

Those door handles, I made from styrene on the last update what can be seen in "On the workbench- section, I built new ones. They are bit thinner than old ones, and lots of cleaner, they look bit bad on those super macro pictures, but live they are looking much better. I painted the center part of them brown to simulate wood, it needs to be cleared. Then I painted some black, but I didn't realize to use masking tape, so I must do a bit of cleanup before installing those parts.

Also painted the wheels. I painted some gloss black around the bolts of them. I removed paint off from those bolts, so they are chromed. Center knob is painted with clear blue from Revell, then I removed paint from that Gragar-text. Interior floor is now painted matt black and then I put some flocking there, as a carpet. Tomorrow I remove all unnecessary flocking, and then I can start painting the door panels. Pedals needs to be built also, I'm not going to use those from the kit. Also added some styrene to that subframe, it will be the basis of new inner fenders.

PA120135.jpg

First picture shows those door handles on progress, on the lower picture they are how they look right now, needs to do a lot of cleaning etc...

PA120138.jpg

PA120142.jpg

PA120140.jpg

PA120143.jpg

Alright, here we go again, I removed all needless flocking from the floor. I painted door panels semigloss black, but there's still bit of cleaning before gluing other parts to those door panels. Tomorrow I'm going to install window cranks, door handles and maybe seats too. Let's have a see. There's not much flocking over those cardboard-pieces, but seats will cover that mistake. I'm going to scratchbuild pedals, original ones can't be seen from finished interior anymore, so I don't have to worry about them. Also little carpet to driver's side under those pedals needs to be done....

PA130144.jpg

PA130145.jpg

PA130148.jpg

Bit more putty to that chassis also, hope after sanding this, it'll be smooth.... :rolleyes:

PA130147.jpg

Cool, Niko! Looks like you've got your work cut out for you.

I did a little work on the Matador yesterday, but the Monogram Grand Prix Stock Car I was using for a chassis was junk- just about every single part was warped to a horrific degree, so it looks like I'm trying Plan B on that one. what's Plan B? You guys will know as soon as I do! :lol:

Thanks! I worked with the door panels. I glued door handles on, and installed window cranks from '66 Olds 442's photoetch parts. Pictures aren't good, that interior looks really bad in these pictures, but it's better in live. I also started working on the pedals, but they are still WIP, so maybe tomorrow I can post picture of them. Thanks for looking, comments welcome.

PA140152.jpg

PA140153.jpg

PA140155.jpg