Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th 69 Camaro ProMod 7/22/14 motor painted

Romell R

its alot of work huh Romell? but it will be well worth it when you are done! great work man! oh, and aaaah dont grab the wrong end of the iron my friend! :blink: don't feel bad I have have done it too!!

LOL!! I dont trust myself so I threw the Iron away I only use a soldering gun now! :P

Hey fellas just thought Id give ya a quick update on what ive been up to. Ive been working slowly on the motor and parts trying to get them ready for casting, I also have the chassis mostly finished just a few bar and such left to add....Anyway heres some pics for ya..Keep in mind this stuff still has a ways to go before it finished....

motor block with water seleves.....

completedcorvette001.jpg

This one is for Bart I think he asked about weather or not the block was offset on the passenger side.....

completedcorvette002.jpg

the holes in the heads have been filled and will be re-drilled tomarrow, and the water inlet was added to the intake manifold....

completedcorvette003.jpg

completedcorvette004.jpg

added the oilfilter hookup....

completedcorvette005.jpg

Here im getting ready to add the crank , rods and pistons... yep gonna have em because this motor will be available as a resin kit that you will be able to show dismantiled...

completedcorvette006.jpg

hope you enjoyed .....Oh ill be back with a couple more... B)

Edited by Romell R

hey rom that hood scoop looks to big for that body

actually its not part of it will be cut and under the hoodline once the model is finished , for now its just sitting up there.

Are those bodys really rough or does it look worse than it is ? And are they a pain to sand ?

They are really ruff and it will take some work to get them to finished product. Edited by Romell R

rom, i'll help you out here. henry, the scoop is correct. that's how big they are when they are built. you must cut the scoop down to the level at which it needs to be as far as the builder is concerned. the scoop is not designed to fit the just camaro. please note the size of the "real" scoop before it is on the camaro and then look at the scoop after it is on the "finished" camaro.

here is the real "unmodified" scoop. again please note the overall height of the scoop from the flange on the bottom to the top. it is quite tall!

007-3.jpg

here is the scoop after it has been installed on the "finished" camaro. again note the "reduction" in overall height. that is because it's been "cut"!

precisionshopphotos-doug727.jpg

robert, yes the bodies are a rough texture. they are almost sandpaper like. that is the way they come. it is a result of the printing process in the w.s.f. material. there is a tutorial on the T.D.R. site explaining the procedure you should follow to prep the body for paint. are they a pain to sand? yes!! w.s.f. is a very tough material. you most likely will not sand it smooth. it will require a combination of sanding and a build up of filler primer to smoothout.

Edited by comp1839

Romell, please take this as constructive friendly advice. There is a difference between building something that looks totally detailed and realistic and building something to be a "master" for resin casting purposes. If your intention is to have someone resin cast the engine they should have guided you on how to properly to so. As is, your engine block with all the holes, passages, etc is next to impossible to make a mold of. Same goes for the heads. You can build it in such a way that it gives the appearance of that detail, but the holes, passages, etc should be shallow and solid. You'll need to consider the builder who will be putting this together and what detail they will likely add and be responsible for adding if they so choose to do so. Perhaps you'll need to keep this engine for this build and do one completely designed with resin casting in mind. Hope you know I'm just trying to give constructive advice before you get too far along on it and no one says anything.

why dont you just let the guy build the model the way he wants to.every time some one puts there builds on here there is always someone else who comes on here and claims that they are giveing them there so-called constructive advice.i dont know what it is,but its starting to piss me off

Superb work, I must say working with brass is not easy and making parts by hand with limited use of power tools even more, you have done a terrific job so far and am pretty sure it will be even more stunning when finished, the chassis work alone is a work of art!!

This is the kind of work that inspire to try new ways and technics at the workbench, keep it going and looking forward to new updates.

Fred

Romell, please take this as constructive friendly advice. There is a difference between building something that looks totally detailed and realistic and building something to be a "master" for resin casting purposes. If your intention is to have someone resin cast the engine they should have guided you on how to properly to so. As is, your engine block with all the holes, passages, etc is next to impossible to make a mold of. Same goes for the heads. You can build it in such a way that it gives the appearance of that detail, but the holes, passages, etc should be shallow and solid. You'll need to consider the builder who will be putting this together and what detail they will likely add and be responsible for adding if they so choose to do so. Perhaps you'll need to keep this engine for this build and do one completely designed with rein casting in mind. Hope you know I'm just trying to give constructive advice before you get too far along on it and no one says anything.

Hey Mike thanks for the advice , I was getting concerned about all the holes and how that would effect the out come of the mold. I will start a second motor that will take all of the above in consideration and will be made for casting. Actually im glad you brought this up as h it will help me go in the correct direction. Thanks again B)

why dont you just let the guy build the model the way he wants to.every time some one puts there builds on here there is always someone else who comes on here and claims that they are giveing them there so-called constructive advice.i dont know what it is,but its starting to piss me off

Not to worry Michael this was truely constructive in nature. Thanks for your concern my friend.

Romell, thanks. After receiving Gregg's mass email the other day I really felt I wanted to help and contribute more. You and I had a bit of a scuddle a while back and for that I'm truly sorry. There are much better ways of communicating a point or advice and I could have certainly done a better job. I think we both may have learned a lesson with that one. You have another ambitious build going with tons and tons of work ahead of you. I know I wouldn't take a project like this on because I'd get burned out and never finish, so big props to you for challenging yourself and pressing on.

Hey Mike i really appreciate that entire statement , takes a big man to applogize so i guess from now on I should call you "Big Mike" LOL! And I apologize to you for our mishap which probably shouldnt have gone the way it did, thats all water under the bridge now so let move on to better things.

Because of your earlyer comment I figured out a way to actually use the motor im building now by filling the inside of the block with aquarium epoxy untill its cast then I can remove it later. constructive help is always welcomed. B)

Edited by Romell R

Hey fellas just thought Id give ya a quick update on what ive been up to. Ive been working slowly on the motor and parts trying to get them ready for casting, I also have the chassis mostly finished just a few bar and such left to add....Anyway heres some pics for ya..Keep in mind this stuff still has a ways to go before it finished....

motor block with water seleves.....

completedcorvette001.jpg

This one is for Bart I think he asked about weather or not the block was offset on the passenger side.....

completedcorvette002.jpg

Thanks Rom for thinking about me! This is just amazing work.... very impressed with your skills! I think you have been holding out on all of us with your brass work.

Plus it sounds like you have thought of everything, because I was thinking as well... how are you going to cast that puppy with all those holes?

So does Aquarium epoxy let loose so you can take it out of the holes? How are you going to get it out of your block you are creating once you have a cast? I only ask because I know nothing about Resin and Casting things, so I am just asking all kinds of stupid questions to help me understand how it works. :D

Thanks Rom for thinking about me! This is just amazing work.... very impressed with your skills! I think you have been holding out on all of us with your brass work.

Plus it sounds like you have thought of everything, because I was thinking as well... how are you going to cast that puppy with all those holes?

So does Aquarium epoxy let loose so you can take it out of the holes? How are you going to get it out of your block you are creating once you have a cast? I only ask because I know nothing about Resin and Casting things, so I am just asking all kinds of stupid questions to help me understand how it works. :D

Hey Bart the aquairum epoxy stays soft so once the mold is made I will be able to pull it out and remove it. Thanks for your sincere compliments Bro

While im at it I might as well add an update to this. I cut the valley into the block today, tomarrow I'll make pistons, rods and a crank. I hope you enjoy......

block001.jpg

block002.jpg

Come back for more later..... B)

Edited by Romell R