Model Cars Magazine Forum

Newd help widening wheel arches

I have a remake of the MPC 67 Pontiac GTO and i didnt like how horribly made it was, so I took the engine,suspension, and whells from a '10 Shelby GT500 and found out that the tires rub on the inside of the wheel wells and i need help figuring out how to widen the wheel arches. What I want to try to do is just make some fender flares for is because I already have the body painted and I dont have alot Of materials to use( im hoping to order some styrene sheets and other things from a local hobby shop). The only stuff i have ordered for models was off of Tamiyas website through a local hobby shop. I would really appreciate the help.

Guest G Holding

Hey Daniel...Since you have the paint done, you really can't flare things right..try to get a different set of wheels / tires or put the kits on, call it learning...and go get another, and build it your way.

This is the list of items Im ordering from Tamiya, if it helps:

70165(10mm styrene board),70003(x2)(sml pla plate),70053(x2)(2mm round strips),87053(putty),70052(x2)(2mm square strips,70202(x2)3mn u strips,70199(x2)(3mm l strips,

From your description I think I see what you are trying to get accross is 1. The tires are rubbing on the inside fender/body. 2. The brakes from another kit are causing the wheel assemblies to space the sidewall of the tire far enough that it is causeing the rub. 3. The axle, wheels and brakes fit between the confines of the body, just barely Right?

If not (as in they stick outside the fenders) you are looking at narrowing the axle itself and moving the rear framerails inward to clear your tires. You will either need to make new wheel tubs or slide the tubs and add enough material between the cut to make the outside edge align with the body as it did before you made the cut.

OK lets look at the issues seperately even though they are both contributing to the same issue, tire sidewall rub.

1. Remove the brake assembly, find a way to measure or gustimate its thickness where it mounts to the axle. If there is room to remove that amount from the end of the axle squarely on both sides. Remount the brakes, remount the tires. Check fit, is there still rub? If not you got lucky. If they still do you are going to have to remove material from the inside of the fender itself, see no 2.

2. If you have a Dremel Moto tool try thinning the inside of the body in the area which the tire is rubbing. Try taking a piece of carbon paper between the tire and the body, rotate the tire slightly so that the carbon transfers to the body at the rub. Next use a sanding drum with a light grit grind off the carbon at a low speed. Check the fit. repeat until the rub is gone or greatly reduced enouth that you can live with it.

From your description I think I see what you are trying to get accross is 1. The tires are rubbing on the inside fender/body. 2. The brakes from another kit are causing the wheel assemblies to space the sidewall of the tire far enough that it is causeing the rub. 3. The axle, wheels and brakes fit between the confines of the body, just barely Right?

If not (as in they stick outside the fenders) you are looking at narrowing the axle itself and moving the rear framerails inward to clear your tires. You will either need to make new wheel tubs or slide the tubs and add enough material between the cut to make the outside edge align with the body as it did before you made the cut.

OK lets look at the issues seperately even though they are both contributing to the same issue, tire sidewall rub.

1. Remove the brake assembly, find a way to measure or gustimate its thickness where it mounts to the axle. If there is room to remove that amount from the end of the axle squarely on both sides. Remount the brakes, remount the tires. Check fit, is there still rub? If not you got lucky. If they still do you are going to have to remove material from the inside of the fender itself, see no 2.

2. If you have a Dremel Moto tool try thinning the inside of the body in the area which the tire is rubbing. Try taking a piece of carbon paper between the tire and the body, rotate the tire slightly so that the carbon transfers to the body at the rub. Next use a sanding drum with a light grit grind off the carbon at a low speed. Check the fit. repeat until the rub is gone or greatly reduced enouth that you can live with it.

All of these are excellent Ideas

Tried and proven method for making wide flares. Decide on the shape of your new wheel arches, line the opening with .010 styrene strip extending outward from the fender edge.

DSCN6174.jpg

Trim the styrene lip you've created to the shape you want and fill, sculpt to shape. You'll have to use 2-part filler.

DSCN6216.jpg

Works every time.

DSCN7159.jpg

DSCN4968.jpg

I typically make molds of the finished flares and then duplicate them in fiberglass, cut off the bondo and styrene plugs and attach the finished fenders.