Model Cars Magazine Forum

Frankenstein Lives!

Zoom Zoom

WIP photos here

This model was a whole lot of fun up until Tuesday when attempting a very minor repair my airbrush spilled satin clear lacquer over the roof, hood, header panel, windshield and front fender of the model moments before completion <_<:D

It had to be taken back apart, body completely stripped of detail parts and refinished; amazingly the glass was completely unharmed, the polish must have protected it as it buffed out perfectly. Refinishing included a bout with fisheyes. And four repaints of the roof alone due to problems with me, the paint, and bad karma, I guess.

It was finished up Friday morning, lightning didn't strike it on the way to the show, and it attracted a good bit of attention this weekend; my humor returned after feeling like I'd give up the hobby for good after goofing it up so badly :rolleyes: . I'd love to see this thing as a 1:1 concept at SEMA...the car companies would all have a conniption :D

I love doing stuff like this; it's fun seeing people's reactions...both good and bad-I tend to like provocative designs (that doesn't mean Aztek, by the way :P ). I love how it came out, but I'm sure there are people that might have a lot less favorable reaction, and that's okay too. Hit me w/any questions/comments!

IMG_7782-vi.jpg

IMG_7785-vi.jpg

IMG_7787-vi.jpg

IMG_7788-vi.jpg

IMG_7790-vi.jpg

Photos Here

Edited by Zoom Zoom

Absolutely stunning Bob!!

Harry, I think the top photo is a black and white one. <_<:D

Thanks!

I was adjusting the white balance on my camera and spied the B&W option while I was in the menu so decided to try it out for the first shot. I wouldn't have painted this car silver as it's boring for a pony car :rolleyes:

It looks great... the three donors blend together so perfectly you'd never know it was three different cars stitched together.

Just one very minor "complaint:" I'd either make the "real" gas cap inconspicuous (body color door flush with the bodywork) or lose the Mustang's fake "gas cap"... because right now you have "dueling" gas caps (even though the rear one is fake).

It looks great... the three donors blend together so perfectly you'd never know it was three different cars stitched together.

Just one very minor "complaint:" I'd either make the "real" gas cap inconspicuous (body color door flush with the bodywork) or lose the Mustang's fake "gas cap"... because right now you have "dueling" gas caps (even though the rear one is fake).

Thanks; it was too late in the build to change it when I realized what was going on w/the dueling gas caps. One suggestion from the show that sounded good was painting the Camaro gas cap on the fender flat black and toning down the Mustang faux-cap on the back w/a black wash or black painted inset detail. In hindsight I should have filled the rear fender cap or done a different emblem on the Mustang tailpanel. But I really like the Camaro cap detail, and not sure what I'd put in the center of the Mustang taillight panel that's different but "natural". We shall see...

Like I said, a minor point. Overall your design/execution is just about perfect, right down to placement of body panel seams.

Thanks, & trust me...not a problem at all...I'm a designer, I have to be able to take the same critique that I can dish out! A lot of people think any criticism is wrong. I just see it as a way to make things as right as possible...like when I point out things on a new kit (hi, Bill ;););) ) it's not to beat up on them, but input that I would personally like to hear if I were the one developing the new product.

Anyway...I'll figure something out because we're definitely on the same page about the multiplicity of fuel caps. Thankfully I was able to laugh at it when I first saw it (as I was gluing on the Mustang emblem). At that point it was lucky that the car hadn't been crushed when I had the horrific paint mishaps :rolleyes:

Very good job! I personally would have smoothed and blacked out the rear end leaving only the fender top gas cap. well, honestly I would have prefferred doing a side flush mounted gas door. The fronts a good look. The way it all blends together is really smooth! I also love the Volunteer orange on it! LOL. Jody