Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP: 2003 Pirates of the Carribean Pontiac LONG 1st Post!!

David, this build is INSANE!! I have no idea how you NASCAR modelers do it! The level of detail in just this chassis is just incredible. Beautiful job, this is sure to make some guys sick when they see this on the closed wheel competition table next to their entry. I know I am glad I don't do NASCAR models and have to share a table with that bomb. Beautiful build so far.

I know! Man I'd love to see this at the NNL East. WINK WINK, NUDGE NUDGE........... :(

Thanks!!!

As I said, I did a little cleaning up of the rats nest. Oil lines are routed along with fuel and Power steering lines. I scratch built the dual red oil filters from Aluminum tubing. All the line and hardware is Pro tech products. The brass collars are Crimp bead tubing you can find in a craft store. Now its on to the radiator and lower suspension detail....

DaveT

Engine9-vi.jpg

Engine10-vi.jpg

Looks awesome Dave! Is that a kit carb you modified, or a resin piece? The engine sits beautifully in there. I NEED MORE! :D

Jamie

That is a kit carb I drilled out the barrells on....

Thanks guys

more updates for you!

Radiator is installed and a scratch built shroud was made from thin aluminum sheet.

shroud1-vi.jpg

shroud4-vi.jpg

The front suspension is also complete. Springs, front sway bar links, steering tie rods, and shocks were all scratch built from various aluminum and brass tubing as well as pro tech hardware.

susp2-vi.jpg

susp3-vi.jpg

susp1-vi.jpg

Here is a pic of the engine bay with the body on for effect..... final details will be added, coolant lines, electrical harnesses, and front brakes and its on to the rear axle and suspension detail...

engine12-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking.....

DaveT

Awesome work, Dave. I was wondering when you were going to get back to this one. Your detail work is flawless as usual. If you look in this section you will see that I finally went back to work on my Spongebob car, also in hopes of having it ready for Atlanta.

I guess I will see you over in Tampa for the Street Rod Nats.. I will be watching your progress on this one. And thanks for inspiring me to do one of my own.

Awesome work, Dave. I was wondering when you were going to get back to this one. Your detail work is flawless as usual. If you look in this section you will see that I finally went back to work on my Spongebob car, also in hopes of having it ready for Atlanta.

I guess I will see you over in Tampa for the Street Rod Nats.. I will be watching your progress on this one. And thanks for inspiring me to do one of my own.

Thanks Wayne.... yours is looking good, I will be in Tampa with this one and a New Funny car I have been working on.....

DaveT

Thanks Wayne.... yours is looking good, I will be in Tampa with this one and a New Funny car I have been working on.....

DaveT

Dave! Amazing work, as usual. I can't wait to see this one in Tampa in October. Looking forward to hanging out at the Street Rod show with you & the MAGS guys!

Thanks guys,

FInally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Engine is totally complete along with front brakes.

Engine15-vi.jpg

Interior is close, I added the rearview mirror (scratchbuilt), Earnhardt bar, Steering shaft complete with a knee knocker pad and shift light, and the rear package tray made out of black styrene.

DASH7-vi.jpg

P1010008-vi.jpg

P1010006-vi.jpg

STEER7-vi.jpg

Rear suspension is installed.....

P1010009-vi.jpg

Finally some pics with the body tested on... its starting to look the part......

P1010003-vi.jpg

As you can see the grills are also installed using MCG steel mesh and decal.

P1010004-vi.jpg

Rear brake detail..

P1010005-vi.jpg

What are you using as references for all the detailing? Do you have a source for good photos?
If you ask me Harry..he has a shrink ray and access to a NASCAR garage :) seriously that is some amazing stuff,and I'm kinda curious also about your refs.

What are you using as references for all the detailing? Do you have a source for good photos?

Various detail I have scoured off the net over the years, Motorsport.com has fantastic pictures, I also have various books on the subject of nascar anatomy.... the rest is just plain studying of the subject of Nascar race cars as well as watching alot of prerace specials etc..... you really gotta love the sport if you want to learn all about these cars....

Thanks all, And Gregg, hopefully there will be more to come!!!

DaveT

Edited by David Thibodeau

Absolutely stunning work on the planning and execution of this build Dave. I've been admiring your work for a few years (since I saw the HUG), and I think it is great you are sharing this build, in infinite detail, with us mere mortals of the modeling community. THANX B)

And Heh, I liked Pirates of the Carribean, too!

Looks like I'll be spending more time here at MCMF.

Edited by ricki

Thanks for all the words of encouragment guys...

I am nearing the end on this build finally!!!

Interior is complete. I thought I would take some pics of it since alot will be hidden by the body....

As you can see all hoses and electrical camera and radio lines have been installed. I also added a camera data and Radio boxes on the pass b pillar bar. The black thread tied to the hose ends are so I can fish them through the openings on the windows when I put the body in place permanantly.

P1010012-vi.jpg

P1010013-vi.jpg

Oil breather tank was added out back scratchbuilt from solid plastic rod and Pro Tech Breathers.... This line as you can see connects at the top of the oil tank behind the driver. The crush panels were made from thin metal from K&S metals. The rivets were created using a pounce wheel used to make designs for sewing templates.

P1010014-vi.jpg

Steering wheel was used from the kit and detailed out. I added a radio call button as well.

P1010015-vi.jpg

Exhaust is also complete. This exhaust was scratch built using Plumbers solder from home depot and scratch built Fan style exhaust dumps from .010 sheet styrene and blended to the pipes. The weathering technique was achieved using alclad pale burnt metal, Jet exhaust, and Clear orange. This is the exhaust you will find commonly on a Superspeedway Cup car. Tuned for Daytona or Talladega. More commonly referred to as Dr Gas Exhaust.

P1010016-vi.jpg

Rear suspension is complete at this time inclusing a brass rod and RB motion heim joints for the rear panard bar. The driveshaft is aluminum tubing with the kit u joints added. You can also see lower crush panels made from embossing metal.

P1010017-vi.jpg

And for some final pics on this update here is the car with the body installed for good on a stand I made from square tubing. It will be painted black and used to display the car.

P1010018-vi.jpg

P1010019-vi.jpg

P1010022-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking, this will be the final update prior to completion in a few days..

DaveT