Model Cars Magazine Forum

Motor Trend Car of the Year is...

Not impressed considering the $58,570 base price that shoots to the $106,900 range for a top of the line model. Funny how the judges had an issue with the Fusion's price tag,but didn't have a problem with the Tesla Model S' price tag????? :blink:

Past MT Car of the Year winners, 58 Edsel, Corvair, Vega, AMC Pacer, Renualt Allance, .....

That is a list of real winners there Craig! :D;)

I can't see how a car that is available to a select few (price and dealer availability) can be considered against those that are more readily available in most towns across the country? :huh:

I don't think anyone really thinks that the MT Car of the Year award is completely on the up and up. Who knows how much back room wheeling and dealing goes on before the "winner" is named? How much money changes hands? What kind of deals are agreed to? Maybe Tesla agreed to spend a certain amount of $$$ on MT ad buys in the coming year. Who knows?

I'm just speculating, of course... nothing I said can be proven. But you'd have to be pretty naive to think that the Car of the Year award is given in a totally unbiased and objective way, with absolutely no, uh... "extenuating circumstances." ;)

On an interesting side note... big story in the local paper last Sunday on how Tesla is selling their cars directly to the public. Their dealerships are factory-owned, and not dealer franchises, like the way all other cars are sold. So NADA (National Automobile Dealers Assoc.) is all bent out of shape because Tesla is allowed to bypass the traditional "manufacturer sells to dealer who sells to the public" routine. Tesla's legal explanation is that because there had never been a Tesla dealership network in existence, they are free to sell their cars factory direct and not have to go through a middle man (the dealership network).

It could get messy as Tesla expands across the country and opens more and more factory showrooms.

My money is on "I'll never see one".

Don't be so sure. They're expanding their network.

http://www.teslamotors.com/locations

Yup, there's one in a high end shopping mall not too that far from Harry and myself, Didn't know they weren't going the traditional dealership route.........wonder how well that is going to play out, especially here in Illinois.

Let us know how that Tesla does in the first snowstorm or cold snap Harry! ;)

I just think they are priced way above what most people in this country can afford, unless you are a celebrity, in which case you buy one to make a political statement. At $50,000 plus, I can think of many other vehicles that offer great fuel economy without posing a hazard.

I just think they are priced way above what most people in this country can afford, unless you are a celebrity, in which case you buy one to make a political statement. At $50,000 plus, I can think of many other vehicles that offer great fuel economy without posing a hazard.

Posing a hazard? What hazard? Besides emptying out your bank account, I mean.

I heard Tesla wants to run in NASCAR next year ... but they refuse to run the Superspeedways ... they will only run on the short circuits.

B)

Ba-da-boom!

Thank you, ladies and germs... I'm here all week...

So apparently you don't read the sunday Tribune... ;):D

That's where I saw the story.

Haven't in a while, we don't get it delivered and haven't bought one in some time.

Any rwd performance vehicle isn't going to do too good in our weather, especially if you're not using winter only tires. My Lebaron and Shadow were at best ok, the Chargers my parent's ('70 R/T with the 440 Six Pack/4-speed combo) and my sister's '06 SE (with the 3.5l V-6 and 5-speed auto) had/have a lot to be desired, and I honestly am not too sure what my 200 will be like (with 18" Eagle LS2's on it, haven't read much complimentary on them), but I'm planning on using my Jeep.

On an interesting side note... big story in the local paper last Sunday on how Tesla is selling their cars directly to the public. Their dealerships are factory-owned, and not dealer franchises, like the way all other cars are sold. So NADA (National Automobile Dealers Assoc.) is all bent out of shape because Tesla is allowed to bypass the traditional "manufacturer sells to dealer who sells to the public" routine. Tesla's legal explanation is that because there had never been a Tesla dealership network in existence, they are free to sell their cars factory direct and not have to go through a middle man (the dealership network).

It could get messy as Tesla expands across the country and opens more and more factory showrooms.

It is an interesting approach...the dealer franchising laws are rather obsolete, interesting to see a company challenging them..

They will have to pry my gas burnner from my cold dead hands :lol:

When they make electric cars look like cars and not a fashion statement , then I might consider getting one, and when the going green trend passes

You get a new car? I thought you had a rice burner. :P