Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sometimes you can get lucky

Another modeler and I are working on a project to build a close replica of his buddy's '58 Chevy Bel Air.One of the needed changes is to go from triple to double tail lights on each side.We've been kicking ideas around and I was almost to the point of just filling the holes in the body and cutting away at the kit's taillight bezels.Yesterday I was looking at some kits in my stash.One of them was the reissued '64 Mercury Marauder.In checking out the chrome parts tree I spotted a familiar shape.Yup-right on the tree were the exact taillight bezels I need.Whooda thunk it?

diymirage, I don't know which kit it is you have, but I can't think the stock tailamps from a 64 Mercury would look anything like the ones from a 58 Chevy! They must be a custom option. The ones I need are a oval chrome base with two round pointed lenses, and a chrome devider between the two red lenses. I can't get a bicture to post or I would have, I found many on the net.

Craig-Yes those are custom parts for the Mercury.And there are 2 sets on the tree.

I know there's a lot reshaping to do to make it a true Bel Air(the roof and quarter window shapes would also need altering).I wanted to go with an MCW resin Delray body and add the Impala moldings from a Revell '58 Impala kit but my co-builder said that his buddy isn't worried about it being all that close.So this thing is gonna be kind of a part way correct deal.