Model Cars Magazine Forum

DODGE THIS...Pro-Steet / Hot rod

GrandpaMcGurk

Well, I've got 2 of these 1/16th butt ugly MPC "Street Chargers", a 1/16th "Dukes of Hazard" Charger, a "Richard Petty" 1/16th Nascar Charger (clear body), and a "Buddy Baker" 1/16th Nascar Charger.

I've traded the vintage Buddy Baker kit to a pal.......I'm going to toss the other 3 in a large paper bag with a tube of glue, shake 'em up real good and see if I can get at least one bad ass street machine to fall out!

Think I'll start with the engine (Hemi of course). Textured the block to look like cast iron, let's go with aluminum heads and anodized valve covers.

AAAADAYHemi004_zps7987f0db.jpg

AAAADAYHemi002_zpsd3cbe265.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

The 426 Hemi that comes with these MPC kits is pretty well detailed to start with (even has a few internal parts), however, I just can't seem to be able to build anything OOB or leave well enough alone....call it a character fault if you like. Anyway, on with the dog & pony show.

I scratch built a clutch can (hydraulic clutch) to replace the stock bell housing, modified the kit distributor to fatten up the sparker, fabricated a blower belt tensioner (the kit doesn't have one...shame on them), and fabricated a girdle for the bottom end. Added the lower injection lines (gonna have to replace these kit pices as they are pretty clunky looking).

The kit supplied plug wire may be fine for most folks but they are so heavy (thick) they hurt my face).

After all...we all know that plug wires aren't the same thickness as battery cables right?

Did some detailing, tweaking and more weathering...this ain't no trailer queen, I want it to look like it's been run a few times. Keep in mind these are large photos and the engine is only 1/16th. Making the wire looms, plug boots, etc. was really straining my tired old digits & orbs.

AwiredHemi001_zps2972228a.jpg

AwiredHemi002_zps58153ef2.jpg

AwiredHemi006_zpsac519e29.jpg

AwiredHemi005_zps888cb45e.jpg

AwiredHemi004_zpsdba6b91c.jpg

The molded plastic lines that came with the kit were too toy like......so I removed them and made my own, along with some fittings and a blower intake for a couple of double pumpers ( yes...the kit carbs looky funky.....I'll tweak them when I get a little futher along).

Still have to add fuel lines, oil pan & some more plumbing but it's getting there.

ADAYHEMIPRO004_zpse0b0ce35.jpg

ADAYHEMIPRO005_zpsf010031a.jpg

ADAYHEMIPRO010_zps091b27ba.jpg

According to this guy......

Ajoe-dirt-1_zpsbbb7184a.jpg

This is a suitable platform for a Hemi powered street monster (unmolested kit part).........

DaytonaChassis002_zps4e040557.jpg

DaytonaChassis003_zps4be35684.jpg

Well, that ain't gonna happen. This car would twist up like a pretzel running that much H.P. without a full roll cage to hold the rear sub frame to the front. This is a street car and it would be nice to be able to open the door to get in without having to crawl thru the drivers window right?
All that aside, I'm going to be running some really wide meats on the rear and I certainly don't want half the tire hanging out of the wheel well with the rear jacked up so high it needs it's own zip code.

The pics show the rear tire I'll be using sitting in the unmolested pan.....as you can see, I'm going to have to tub the pan, fab a rear half (frame) and narrow the rear.

Actually Josh, if you look at all the 1/16th MPC Dodge kits as a sum of thier parts rather than what the various box art scenes depict, you're getting a fair amount of bang for your buck. Sure the later kits have a lot of flash and ill fitting parts not to mention the tired worn out, altered dies they using.....after all, who wants a NASCAR chassis with drum brakes under a 70's custom street machine?

Point is........with a little kit bashing and a touch of scratch building.....there are some really cool builds hiding in those boxes, it just depends on how you arrange the parts.....right?

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Here's a few shots of the tubs I fabbed up compared to what came in the box, gotta do a little filling and sanding but you'll get the idea....

Atubmopar001_zpsbbdc10b2.jpg

Atubmopar002_zps17573a1b.jpg

Atubmopar004_zps2d2896ca.jpg

Atubmopar003_zpsbe8f0c9c.jpg

Whoopeeeee......this last mock up pic puts a smile on my mug....all the rubber will fit inside the the body.

Atubmopar005_zps4613adb0.jpg

Bye, Bye leaf springs!

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

nice work on the engine and chassis! Are you going to cut off the remains of the rear sub frame and scratch new ones?

BTW thank you for your service!

Jason, ordinarily I would cut off the rear section of the pan and scratch build and new "rear half" frame..add some frame connectors and call it a day but then I'd have to go back and fit all new "sheet metal" to replace what was cut off.

However...on this model I'm going to take a somewhat different approach, I'll be adding the lower half of the frame to the bottom side of the pan and then flip it over and add the upper half to the top side.

With any kind of luck it, from the side it should appear the the frame sections are one piece with the sheet metal attached to it.

Frameconnectors001_zps1a8d5c09.jpg

Frameconnectors004_zpsebf0ddeb.jpg

A little filler, some sanding, a few more braces and I can shoot a coat of primer on this thing....flip it over and get the front engine cage started.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Look at the little bit indicated by the blue arrow, a touch of brass paint on one end, some black on the other with a touch of white (insulator) in the center and you've got a "FREE" metal detail freak spark plug for a 1/12 - 1/8th model engine. I usually buy the pens in bulk packs (do a lot of sketching) for a few bucks. Yeah, I live in a world all my own.

ced9c2c4-8b7c-4e73-bd17-06ad001a6afe_zps

Okay, 'nuff teasing.........the Sharpie will become a Lenco trans. I could just order one from TDR but I'm kit bashing, scratch building this car. I will however order a couple of juice bottles.

If you don't know what a Lenco trans is......each section is a different gear, you could have one with just 2 sections (2 speeds foward) or 6 sections depending on your application.
There is also a separate section (at the rear) for reverse. They can be shifted manually with individual levers (as in the photo) or hydraulically, air, 'puter, whatever.
I'll be fabbing up a facsmile 3-speed w/reverse using manual linkage (just 'cause all those levers look absolutely rad. on a street machine).

The only drawback to it is it's length, being I'm not using a rear seat I can simply move the seats back a little to put the shift levers within easy reach.
Gives the term "banging thru the gears" a whole new meaning...heeeee!

Lenco_zpsaf600cd6.jpg