Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Dad's '37 Ford Pickup UPDATE 1/9/2014

Thanks Tom, if I need anything I'll let you know. Although, there won't be a whole lot of the '37 kit left in this once I'm done with it. B)

And don't worry Mike, I'm setting the body aside to work on the drivetrain until I feel like working on it again. I won't let it get to me just yet.

Hey Mike, got those wheels you sent, they're perfect.

I'm still trying to figure out how everything will be fitting together but I should be able to get all the drivetrain finished and painted tonight with pics tomorrow hopefully. I don't really have access to truck right now, so I will be using my Blazer as reference for detailing for the engine, brakes, etc. Hopefully everything will be correct.

I said I would be doing updates on the 1:1, so here it is. Right now, my step-brother has the keys to the garage that the truck is kept in so I have very limited access to it until we begin working on the truck. So far here is the list of what needs done:

1) Need to get the bed finished.

2) It has absolutely no interior other than the dash and steering wheel, so that should be fun. :lol:

3) I was told that there is some electrical work that needs to be done.

4) Need to install the carburetor and get the engine running.

5) Put on bumpers, headlights, and other misc. exterior parts.

There's probably more I'm forgetting, but you get the idea. I will not be able to start working on the truck for another week or more, but I got alot ahead of me. Fortunately, I have the help of my step-brother and a couple of my dad's old friends so it will get done. Wish me luck.

Edited by 91blaze

Seems I've hit a snag on the engine. I'm using the engine from the Waverider S10, which is supposed to be the 4.3 V6. I noticed that the engine "accessories" were too wide to fit in the Ford's engine bay, and I figured out why. I looked at the engine in my Blazer and at the pictures of the Ford and noticed that the AC compressor and alternator are switched in the kit engine. They are also set out too far from the engine. I don't know why this is, but now I have to figure out how to fix it. So, it might take a little while longer before I'm able to put pictures up.

Ok.. figured out that my Syclone donor kit has the correct engine accessories. I don't know why the Waverider engine is so messed up, but it's fixed now. I just need move the engine back now because there's no room for the engine fan, so that's what I'm working on now. Got some pictures.

Awesome rally rims courtesy of Mike Scheve. The ones on the right have been blackwashed for comparison.

100_1450.jpg

Waverider pulleys on top, Syclone on bottom. Anyone know why they are so different?

100_1453.jpg

Fitment issues:

100_1455.jpg

100_1456.jpg

Okay. I see your issue. The engine certainly needs to be pushed back. In most rods, you can just barely see the bell housing between the engine and firewall. You are going to have to modify the chassis (likely) and tranny hump (certainly) to get it to fit properly.

Okay. I see your issue. The engine certainly needs to be pushed back. In most rods, you can just barely see the bell housing between the engine and firewall. You are going to have to modify the chassis (likely) and tranny hump (certainly) to get it to fit properly.

After messing with it, I figured out that I just need to move the crossmember for the transmission and make up some motor mounts. I already have to make a rear driveshaft, so it won't be a problem making a front one too. I don't think I will have to modify the tranny hump though. I don't think it should be too much of a hassle.

Got the chassis finished and painted:

100_1459.jpg

Mock-up:

100_1460.jpg

100_1461.jpg

100_1463.jpg

Still need to work on the height a little. In the last pic I was experimenting with blocks to lift the front a little. I'm going to put smaller blocks up front cause it's a little too high and shave off some of the frame in the back to lower it. It's messed up because I'm using Syclone drivetrain which is lower than a stock S10. And in the actual truck, the bottom of the bed was raised to fit the frame.

Thanks Chuck.

John,

I built a 1:1 '37 Ford pickup for a customer about three years ago. I understand your fathers' conversion to the extended cab - as cool as they are, if you're much over 5'7", they have pretty bad leg room.

-MJS

I was kinda worried about the leg room in this truck, guess I'm gonna find out when all is said and done.

Waverider pulleys on top, Syclone on bottom. Anyone know why they are so different?

The Syclone is a Buick V6 Turbo ( Grand National ) engine not the 4.3 , close enough for 1/25 scale.

The other is a 4.3 out of an S10 . The 4.3 had many different brackets depending on what GM installed the engine in.

Spent a few day's looking in the bone yard for my buddies 4.3 conversion .

Keep on rolling you are doing a good job .

The Syclone is a Buick V6 Turbo ( Grand National ) engine not the 4.3 , close enough for 1/25 scale.

The other is a 4.3 out of an S10 . The 4.3 had many different brackets depending on what GM installed the engine in.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, that would also explain why the oil fill tube was on the wrong side. Weird thing is that the Waverider and Syclone share the exact same engine block, tranny, and other parts.

Small update: got the ride height fixed, I had to remove two of the body mounts on the frame so the back would sit lower. Been putting the engine together and painting the engine. Should have updates tomorrow.

Nice project. I'm sure your father would appreciate it.

When you go back to work out the cab issues, like these guys have said...just take your time. One thing that will help is making up some sanding blocks that are specific for the task. You can put a profile into a small length of wood that matches the shape you need and use it to get your panels nice and true. Also, try out some needle files for the detail work. I've found that the softer the tool, the harder it is to control the shaping process. A good file or sharp blade with a light touch will make short work of about anything. It just takes some practice to get a feel for it.

Keep it up!

Not much will be done this weekend, but I do have some small updates. Right now I'm still working on finishing up the engine and chassis. I also got the bed glued together and painted. Next I'm going to be working on the interior.

The bed:

100_1464.jpg

And mock up of the interior:

100_1465.jpg

100_1466.jpg

uh the cyclone had a turbo charged 4.3L not a 3.8L turbo . now for the pulleys the waverider pulleys are the newer s10/blazer style. alternator on passenger side a/c compressor on driver side with a newer style v5 a/c compressor. the older 4.3L in the cyclones, blazers, s10, were reversed alternator on driver side a/c compressor on passenger side with the old style v4 a/c compressor . the

switch happened in the late 1995 - early 1996 model year.

91blaze

awesome job on the model truck so far. and good luck with the real truck memorial cars are the hardest to work on .

Edited by bodeen2012

uh the cyclone had a turbo charged 4.3L not a 3.8L turbo . now for the pulleys the waverider pulleys are the newer s10/blazer style. alternator on passenger side a/c compressor on driver side with a newer style v5 a/c compressor. the older 4.3L in the cyclones, blazers, s10, were reversed alternator on driver side a/c compressor on passenger side with the old style v4 a/c compressor . the

switch happened in the late 1995 - early 1996 model year.

91blaze

awesome job on the model truck so far. and good luck with the real truck memorial cars are the hardest to work on .

Sorry about that , I must tell my Chevy budds they gave me bad info for years ! LOL

Sorry about that , I must tell my Chevy budds they gave me bad info for years ! LOL

Adam is right, the Syclone has the 4.3 not 3.8, don't know how I missed that part of your post. Your Chevy buddies don't know as much as you think.