Model Cars Magazine Forum

1st Gen Chevy/GMC S-Series Extended Cab Longbed

Thanks, guys. The bed sides are the easiest parts to modify, and they're pretty much done now:

sbed826132.jpg

As for the bed floor and inner sides, there's a lot more work to be done, especially where the floor ribs butt together from the spliced sections. You can still see where those joints are, so once you can't, I'll be done:

sbed826131.jpg

I also started on an extended cab, too, but again, there's still a lot of work to be done. I've got the cab roof close to finished, but the rear quarter window areas need detailing, as well as the inside surfaces of the cab around the quarter windows. Here's where it's at so far:

sxcab8.jpg

sxcab2.jpg

sxcab7.jpg

sxcab6.jpg

sxcab4.jpg

sxcab5.jpg

sxcab3.jpg

Before frustration sets in on the bed ribs...spray in some textured paint or a bed mat ...just my two cents.

Cab body work is looking good from here too. Waiting to see how/what you do with the windows.

A bed cover would be easy, but the bottom of the bed would still need to be finished properly, so no sense in going only half way.

Casey, don't take this the wrong way, but your EXT cab rear windows are too small. I'll email you a picture if you like to show you what I mean,

Nick

Yes, they are still a bit too small and need to be lengthened a bit, but they aren't finished yet. I need to figure out how I'm going to add the window glass lip/flange, and account for that first. Plus, it's easier to remove material than add it back in place. I have plenty of reference material for these trucks...well except for maybe some more shots of the Cameo body parts.

Is this something you are going to resin cast or is it a project from your bench?

BTW- the S series trucks were never offered in extended cab/long bed configurations.

Maybe.

No, they didn't, but I like the longer look of the X-cab and longbed, so I'd like to try to build one eventually.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I got around to enlarging the rear quarter windows, but I may have made the driver's side opening a tad bit too large:

S10106131.jpg

S1010613.jpg

I also figured out a good way to get out of sanding the bed floor seams... :huh: :

S10106132.jpg

:D;) I've almost got them finished and ready for another coat of primer, so they should be close to done. I need to do more research as to how the x-cab frame differs from the standard cab and where it is extended, stretch the interior tub, make some rear interior panels and jump seats, and clean up/remove some of the molded in details on the inner wheel wells.

Are you gonna share your in-between-the-reinforcing-rib sanding method??? ;)

Sure-- 320 grit wet sanding paper, folded. :D I try to make the joints as neat and tight as possible, and use as little plastic welder as possible, so two or three rounds of sanding and priming usually do the trick. Nothing fancy but tedious detail work to be honest.

I got the frame rails extended and boxed in yesterday, but I still need to lengthen them a bit behind the rear wheels. I also extended the cab floor and removed the molded in battery and washer reservoir from the right inner fender. I removed the gas tank brace, spare tire holder, and block sanded the frame rails, too. I think I'll stay 4x2 on this one, despite the simplified one piece front suspension and steering. I'll see what I can do to improve that area. -_-

s10fram310713.jpg

s10frame310713.jpg

s10frame210713.jpg

Quick mock-up of the cab, firewall, partial interior, frame and inner bed:

cabnbed10713.jpg

I also smoothed the LH inner wheel well, removing the molded in ABS module(?) and another reservoir, so I have holes to plug on both sides now. -_-

Closer (and still crummy) low-light shot of the rear frame kick-up area, where the top of the frame touches the bottom of the inner bed. I had to take a thin wedge out of each frame rail, reposition them a bit higher so the frame rail flats and bed bottom were parallel, then plug and weld the joint. Luckily I had a second frame on hand, from which I got the correct frame rail height, so it wasn't too difficult to correct.

framebed210713.jpg