Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford , number one brand in the USA by consumers

Ok, lets try this again, a market research company did a poll on what brands consumers thought are the best, and Ford ranked number one by consumers , but again, this was posted on Yahoo, so take it with a grain of salt.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/forget-amazon---lowe-s--ford-is-the-top-brand-in-america-193305780.html

Again, here is the write up

Ford has done it: the Detroit automaker is now the best-perceived brand in the U.S. -- not just among car companies, but among all companies.

That news comes from marketing research firm YouGov. Every day of the week, its workers speak to 5,000 Americans, gauging public opinion on 1,100 of the country's biggest brands.

Specifically, YouGov pollsters ask, "If you've heard anything about the brand in the last two weeks, through advertising, news or word of mouth, was it positive or negative?" Respondents then rank that sentiment on a scale ranging from -100 (very negative) to +100 (very positive). A score of zero is perfectly neutral.

In a different survey this May, Ford ranked just seventh on a list of the most valuable automotive brands topped by Toyota.

Back in January, we noted that consumers viewed Ford more positively than other auto brands, but YouGov's mid-year rankings now put Ford at the top of the entire corporate heap. Ford's average score among YouGov survey respondents is 31.

That said, there are quite a few companies nipping at Ford's heels. Here's the full top-ten list:

1. Ford (31)

2. Amazon (29.9)

3. Subway (29.8)

4. History Channel (29.1)

5. Lowe's (26.8)

6. V8 (26.7)

7. Walgreens (25)

8. YouTube (24.3)

9. Kindle (23.7)

10. Cheerios (23.7)

As you can see, Ford is the only automaker to break the top ten. And as you can also see, that top ten list is missing some pretty heavy hitters, including Apple, Google, and most media outlets. That's impressive.

What's behind Ford's rise in the polls? We can't entirely say. Ford's decision not to take bailout money during the Great Recession certainly helped its image. Also, cars like the Fusion, Focus, and Fiesta have caught the attention of consumers in ways that models from other automakers haven't. And as many consumers grouse about Chrysler being owned by Europeans and General Motors still being held in part by the U.S. government, Ford has become, to many minds, the only truly independent American automaker (Tesla excluded, of course).

Edited by martinfan5

It's an interesting list, I wonder if folks jus defaulted to stuff they LIKE though. Never know with polls but it's an eye opening list as far as the omissions.

Agreed, I always take polls with a grain of salt, but on the same side, Ford has improved a lot, or so I have read

That has got to be the most random list I have ever seen. I don't know how the subway shops are around the US but where I am from the prices are outrageous now and the employees are terrible.

Luckily that poll was done in the USA... It wouldn't of made the top 50 Down Under.... ;-)

But seriously, a poll based on only 5000 of your 340+ Million population?? Yeah I'd take that with a pound or 2 of salt...

Luckily that poll was done in the USA... It wouldn't of made the top 50 Down Under.... ;-)

But seriously, a poll based on only 5000 of your 340+ Million population?? Yeah I'd take that with a pound or 2 of salt...

It says 5,000 people per DAY, makes me think it's a rolling poll that is constantly taken to gauge the popularity rise and fall of any given brand based on a statistical average.

You have to read what exactly they were asking.

They asked people "have you heard anything about Brand X in the last two weeks? Was what you heard about Brand X positive or negative? So the outfit doing the polling supplied the brand names!

They weren't asking people what their favorite brand was. They were asking what the person heard about Brand X in the past two weeks, and if what they heard was positive or negative. This is a very misleading poll.

They asked people "have you heard anything about Brand X in the last two weeks? Was what you heard about Brand X positive or negative? So the outfit doing the polling supplied the brand names!

They weren't asking people what their favorite brand was. They were asking what the person heard about Brand X in the past two weeks, and if what they heard was positive or negative. This is a very misleading poll.

Yep. Ya gotta love polls. :rolleyes:

{And the people who accept them as gospel.}

Exactly.... Polls shmolls... All a bit of BS to most people.

You can manipulate a poll to give you the results you want. It all depends on exactly what the question is and how it's worded, and who you ask the question to (age, race, sex, political affiliation, blue collar vs. white collar, etc., etc.).

This poll, for example, looks like a poll of what brands are American consumers' favorites. But you have to ask questions when brands like Coke or Apple don't make the list, while V8 and History Channel do? Not that there's anything wrong with V8 or the History Channel, but I doubt very much that American consumers would rank V8 and History Channel in the top ten of their favorite brands while Coke or Apple don't make the list.

Like I said, this poll is completely misleading, and I wonder what the point was that the poll takers were trying to make? Seems like it would be more of a poll of which brands' advertising was doing well and reaching consumers, not which brands consumers like best.

Yup, as stated, polls are inevitably biased. Also, as close as the results are, the margin of error would probably make the top ones all ties.

In addition to the polling biases and errors, it human nature to place importance on something with numbers attached to it. So, when a poll says Ford scored 31 and Amazon 29.9, people think that means exactly what the numbers show. Not so...

Looks like a useless poll to me - as far as getting any general information about people's ideas of the brands...

You can manipulate a poll to give you the results you want. It all depends on exactly what the question is and how it's worded, and who you ask the question to (age, race, sex, political affiliation, blue collar vs. white collar, etc., etc.).

This poll, for example, looks like a poll of what brands are American consumers' favorites. But you have to ask questions when brands like Coke or Apple don't make the list, while V8 and History Channel do? Not that there's anything wrong with V8 or the History Channel, but I doubt very much that American consumers would rank V8 and History Channel in the top ten of their favorite brands while Coke or Apple don't make the list.

Like I said, this poll is completely misleading, and I wonder what the point was that the poll takers were trying to make? Seems like it would be more of a poll of which brands' advertising was doing well and reaching consumers, not which brands consumers like best.

But that's not what the poll result showed. It showed what companies the surveyed people PERCEIVED to have the best reputation based on what they heard, not what company they liked.

For example Pilot Flying J chain of truck stops has a major fiasco scandal right now owing to the fact they screwed all of the trucking companies out of the rebates they were to get back when they signed bulk fuel purchasing agreements. Now whether or not I LIKE to stop at Pilot Flying J - which was neutral, and how I perceive them - as a bunch of lousy crooks - are two different things. My perception of Pilot Flying J has severely suffered due to their copious amounts of fraud. It's not like they were running T.V. ads - Now at Pilot Flying J - RIPPING YOU OFF!!

The same thing could be said for Toyota during the "Unintended Acceleration" period. Most people who are over WWII and own Toyotas are repeat customers, they like their cars, they like the brand, and overall people thought Toyota were reliable vehicles. Then cars started to allegedly drive themselves and BAM the PERCEPTION of Toyota changed for a lot of people negatively.

Also the article says they supplied 1,100 brands, that covers the entire Fortune 500 TWICE.

Sure polls in the overall sense are hincky and can be (well are) manipulated, but if you're going to poo-poo it, at least do it factually.

Edited by niteowl7710

But that's not what the poll result showed. It showed what companies the surveyed people PERCEIVED to have the best reputation based on what they heard, not what company they liked.

For example Pilot Flying J chain of truck stops has a major fiasco scandal right now owing to the fact they screwed all of the trucking companies out of the rebates they were to get back when they signed bulk fuel purchasing agreements. Now whether or not I LIKE to stop at Pilot Flying J - which was neutral, and how I perceive them - as a bunch of lousy crooks - are two different things. My perception of Pilot Flying J has severely suffered due to their copious amounts of fraud. It's not like they were running T.V. ads - Now at Pilot Flying J - RIPPING YOU OFF!!

The same thing could be said for Toyota during the "Unintended Acceleration" period. Most people who are over WWII and own Toyotas are repeat customers, they like their cars, they like the brand, and overall people thought Toyota were reliable vehicles. Then cars started to allegedly drive themselves and BAM the PERCEPTION of Toyota changed for a lot of people negatively.

Also the article says they supplied 1,100 brands, that covers the entire Fortune 500 TWICE.

Sure polls in the overall sense are hincky and can be (well are) manipulated, but if you're going to poo-poo it, at least do it factually.

I understand the poll completely. I guess you completely missed post #11.

What I'm saying is the casual observer of this poll will probably think it's something it's not. Example: the O.P.

Did you read the title of the thread? This poll does not show that Ford is the #1 brand among consumers... but the O.P. sure thought that's what the poll says.

I understand the poll completely. I guess you completely missed post #11.

What I'm saying is the casual observer of this poll will probably think it's something it's not. Example: the O.P.

Did you read the title of the thread? This poll does not show that Ford is the #1 brand among consumers... but the O.P. sure thought that's what the poll says

What the hell you talking about Harry, I am sorry, I said consumers when I should of said Americans, again, I made a mistake

That news comes from marketing research firm YouGov. Every day of the week, its workers speak to 5,000 Americans, gauging public opinion on 1,100 of the country's biggest

Edited by martinfan5

Ok, lets try this again, a market research company did a poll on what brands consumers thought are the best, and Ford ranked number one by consumers ...

No, this poll doesn't show that Ford is ranked number one by consumers. See, you were fooled by a very misleading poll.

Guest Johnny

Polls as a rule are all slanted as they target areas that they know they can get the result that they want and they all have "a want" or they would not be doing a poll. :lol:

I used the words consumers, when I should of said Americans were polled

You need to read the question that the pollsters asked.

They didn't ask people what their favorite brand is. They asked, have you heard anything about Brand X in the past two weeks, and if so, was what you heard positive or negative?

They were not asking people their opinion of the brands, they were asking if the people had heard anything from another source, good or bad, about the brand. That is a very different question than asking a person what they themselves think of a particular brand.

And that is why this is a very misleading poll.

Polls as a rule are all slanted as they target areas that they know they can get the result that they want and they all have "a want" or they would not be doing a poll. :lol:

That is how they work in most case's, again, just like the article, take polls with a grain of salt

I am going to say , that I just skimmed read the article, and posted it here since it was automobile related.

Edited by martinfan5

who hasn't heard of ford????why bother posting stuff like this.Every thing turns like this turns ugly and this one was removed once over the merits of ford and sandwiches .if it is gonna be posted put it in the off topic section at the bottom.

Edited by mistermodel