Mister Twister

heepey

MCM Member

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 5 posts

Posted Today, 03:48 PM
      Done right they seem to always add interest to a dio. I just can't seem to find the ones I need, :unsure:

ARTEMIS1759

MCM Avid Poster

• photo-thumb-6455.jpg
      • Members
      • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
      • 425 posts

[*]Location:ND

[*]Full Name:TJ

Posted Today, 03:40 PM

Figures are good as long as they got the right pose or work with the rest.

Gentlemen, both are VERY Good points !!!!!!!!!!! Ed Shaver

I don't seem to be able to get the hang of painting figures, even though I've read web site tutorials and many books (including Ken Hamiton's) on the subject. In my opinion, if the figures are realistic, use them... if they're not, leave them off. Nothing can spoil a dio more than badly painted figures.

You seem to have mastered it, Darryl in your first two pictures........... but (and excuse my candour), the two figures by the "Green Elephant" don't help the scene (In my humble opinion). The car could be a great dio, just by itself with the backgound.

But they're still a lot better than I can manage!

Junior..... Your dios definitely need figues as you have done. And at 1/87 scale, it's a little easier to overcome the lack of detail in them. So in this case... definitely add figures!

Tony

Great topic...and one that's been argued for a long time. Tony hit it when he said a poorly done figure can ruin an otherwise wonderful diorama. Before using a figure, ask yourself if it adds anything to the story you're trying to convey. If it does, make sure the pose is right (even subtle features like the way the head is turned or where the figure is looking), and that the clothing fits the era, the scene and the story. Most of all, make sure the figure isn't shiny.

I generally like to leave figures out of a diorama just because I feel the scene has more atmosphere (or maybe even a little mystery) without them. But, sometimes you NEED a figure to get the point of the diorama across.

So what's the answer to Darryl's question? "....It depends........."

Here are a couple of examples where I used figures:

100_0733-vi.jpg

P7020003-vi.jpg

P1010004-vi.jpg

One in HO scale:

PC030001-vi.jpg

steppinginforaCoketriangle.jpg

Tony, if you look close on the Right , that's a Prepainted "G " scale railroad figure . The skinny guy walking over to the steps is the gangster from the M P C 28 Lincoln, the guy sitting is again, a pre painted piece I bought in a doll house store .

Ed Shaver

Great topic...and one that's been argued for a long time. Tony hit it when he said a poorly done figure can ruin an otherwise wonderful diorama. Before using a figure, ask yourself if it adds anything to the story you're trying to convey. If it does, make sure the pose is right (even subtle features like the way the head is turned or where the figure is looking), and that the clothing fits the era, the scene and the story. Most of all, make sure the figure isn't shiny.

I generally like to leave figures out of a diorama just because I feel the scene has more atmosphere (or maybe even a little mystery) without them. But, sometimes you NEED a figure to get the point of the diorama across.

So what's the answer to Darryl's question? "....It depends........."

Here are a couple of examples where I used figures:

100_0733-vi.jpg

P7020003-vi.jpg

P1010004-vi.jpg

One in HO scale:

PC030001-vi.jpg

those are greatKen

i think the caption fot the guy and girl in the yellow chevy should read

i should have got a panel truck :D

I use figures in all my dioramas. As much as we all like cars, life is about people. Putting people in the scene makes it a slice of life, not just a model display. I use mostly G scale model train figures. Some are not extremely realistic, but if I put them in shadow, like in this diner diorama photo, they still work to make a decent scene, I think.

4609962216_33eb8c527e_z.jpg

Sam

Great thread topic and even better pictures. I built a shop dio a number of years ago and felt it really needed a few poeple in it to help tell the story.

OverallViewL.jpg

TroubleLight.jpg

IMG_6023sm.jpg

The trouble light just wouldn't be the same without someone on the creeper and every shop office needs an office girl behind the desk.

Great pics guys....Great dio Brad and the office girl is fantastic. Tony mentioned in an earlier post about painting figures and that seems to be a point where lots of builders get hung up. It is hard to paint facial features with out proper magnification like a magnifying lamp. I recently purchased one and I truly don't know how I have managed all these years without one. It has helped me have more detailing ability in small painting areas (like faces) and other ways as well.

I work mostly in 1/32 scale, which perhaps make figure painting more difficult... at least for me! So I really admire the 1/87 scale figures posted by Ken and Junior.

Thanks for the tip about the magnifying lamp, Darryl. Where did you get it? By the way...... your dios are grrrrreat!

Tony

I work mostly in 1/32 scale, which perhaps make figure painting more difficult... at least for me! So I really admire the 1/87 scale figures posted by Ken and Junior.

Thanks for the tip about the magnifying lamp, Darryl. Where did you get it? By the way...... your dios are grrrrreat!

Tony

Thanks Tony, I got my lamp at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon. It swivels and has a 3x magnification. Its been great for detail painting small parts....Helps the eyes also! You can find them on Ebay as well at various prices.

With respect to the intent of the original post: figures are a swinging door. If done correctly and with realistic poses and finishes, they are a great addition to any scene. If done poorly or in an unnatural pose, they can ruin an otherwise great scene. The human body and all of its' textures and subtle nuances are some of the absolute hardest things to capture correctly in scale.

Edited by whale392

DSCF0858cropEcopy-vi.jpg

My one and only figure can just be seen to the right. He can barely be seen thru the door of a garage in 1/4" scale.

There have been some excellent points made here regarding figures. I haven't gotten interested in figure painting-it is a real art.