Model Cars Magazine Forum

Off Topic...my weight loss....PHOTOS 3/17/2013....

Terry Sumner

Feeling so good right now I just had to post this... Ever since I retired from the State Police in 1996, my weight has steadily gone up every year. Heck, when I entered the Academy in 1974, I was155! Came out 6 months later at 170 and finally retired in 1996 at 210 pounds. But I felt pretty good at that weight. Well this past summer I got up to 262, which for me...is a LOT! Saw a photo of myself on my Harley in a side view and I thought my belly was gonna devour my gas tank! So I decided right then and there I was gonna do something about it. Cholesterol was up also above 260. So I joined Weight Watchers on September 10th at the aforementioned weight of 262. Today I weighed 220.4! I have now lost 41.6 pounds in these past 5 months. No fad diets, no buying premade meals... just eating the right way and exercising. Not extreme exercise...just walking. About 4 miles a day 3 to 5 days a week.

My Doctor has set my weight goal at 199 pounds... a few more than what Weight Watchers says I should be. WW says 185 - 195 but my Doctor says I'm not in high school any more! :lol: Once I get down to 199 and stay within 2 pounds of that for 6 weeks I will earn Lifetime status and won't have to pay the $40 a month anymore!

I was never a believer in any Nationally known weight loss programs...thought they were all nothing but gimmicks and advertising. But I gotta tell you...these people who run Weight Watchers have got this stuff figured out! At least it's working for me! I actually go to the meetings once a week. I'm the only guy there but I don't care...I have fun with that. And another big plus from doing this...my cholesterol dropped 51 points in the first 6 weeks. Going to have it tested again next month and I'm confident it will be even lower!

Onward and downward as they say!

Edited by Terry Sumner

Congrats ! I am also trying to drop a few pounds and getting more healthy. Stopped with the salt, switched to diet sodas ( Which all suck ) and no more chips and cut way back on the fast food and eating more fruit. So far it seems to be working. Have to find something to do after I retire at the end of June or I know will just gain back anything I may loose leading up to then.

Way to go Terry! B) Keep up the good work!

Two months ago the Dr said If I want to avoid more back surgery (and a heart attack) it was time to shed some pounds.

Before I fell and messed up my back I stayed right at 195 pounds, ran a mile (in under 8 minutes) every morning before climbing into the truck and heading out on deliveries.

After I climbed in weight all the way to 281 at it's highest.

After the doc said what he did I talked to his wife who is a nutritionist and she gave me some simple guidelines to follow. Even with my limitations on exercise she said it would help.

I stopped with all junk food and fast food and soda.

What I have been doing is a strict calorie count of 1800 or less (mostly less) per day. Eating a good breakfast, light lunch and Healthy Choice dinners for supper. Drinking a lot of water all day too especially just before eating. Juice and three cups of coffee in the morning, a glass of koolaid (have to keep my sugar up, hypoglycemic) with lunch and water with dinner.

Today I was at 258.4. :)

Thanks guys....the supportive messages actually do mean a lot. They are part of the inspiration to stay at it and not fall off the wagon. I don't want to sound like a cheerleader for Weight Watchers, but they really do have the science behind weight loss all figured out. There's no calorie counting...all foods have a certain point value and according to your age, height and starting weight you are given a certain number of points per day to consume. I started at 49 points per day and I gotta tell ya...there were many days I couldn't get to eat all those points. Right now I'm at 41 points. I eat VERY well on WW and never feel like I'm depriving myself. I eat pizza, chocolate cake, apple pie and other things like that. But what I don't do anymore is eat an entire double chocolate cake in 2 or 3 days! Or eat an entire pizza all by myself. I eat sensibly by the WW guidelines and it works!

I wholeheartedly recommend Weight Watchers. God I never thought I would hear myself saying something like that!

Will we see you appearing in an ad with Marie Osmond soon? :lol:

Hey...she looks darn good for being 53 years old! Heck she looks good no matter what age! Except of course she is not a Weight Watchers spokesmodel...she's with Nutrisystem.

Hmmm...let's see now...me sandwiched between Jennifer Hudson and Jessica Simpson....

Edited by Terry Sumner

Hey...she looks darn good for being 53 years old! Heck she looks good no matter what age! Except of course she is not a Weight Watchers spokesmodel...she's with Nutrisystem.

Hmmm...let's see now...me sandwiched between Jennifer Hudson and Jessica Simpson....

Ok, not Marie.

How about Richard Simmons instead? :lol: