Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint companies

Hi guys,

Just a quick one for all.Can you guys stear me tords some of the better paints for street rod boddies(candy,pearls and gloss)I find that testors is good and covers well but they don't have many colors outside the prime colors and flats.I don't have an airbrush so I will be shooting out of the can most of the time.

Do you guys prime your boddies first or just lay a few coats of the main color down and be done?

Also what do you guys mainly use for masking when doing two tone jobs? (blue painters scotch tape?) Thanks,sparkyd

How about clear coating?should I use the same company for the clear or any clear will do? Thanks, sparkyd

There are several different options for rattle can paint.

Check your local Wal-Mart for the new Valspar HOK paints (in the model section) or check your local hobby shop(s) for Tamiya or Testors new Lacquer paints or try the web:

http://www.blackgoldweb.com/BLACKGOLDPAINTDEALERS.html

http://ourworld.cs.com/mcwautofinishes/paint/catalog.html

For masking, nothing beats Tamiya Masking Tape! I use it a lot and have never been disappointed by it. It does not have heavy adhesives like regular masking tape and it will go around curves with relative ease.

If your local hobby shop doesn't have it..............you can always go to http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tam/tam87030.htm and check it out.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

BILL

My personel favorite is Tamiya rattle cans. They will work on bare un-primed plastic. They also have a clear pearl as well.

Can't argue with that, for many standard colors I won't bother to break out the airbrush. Best spray can paint, hands down.

They now also have cans of transparent colors like blue, green, red, orange so you can apply that over their silver leaf or any other metallic or pearl base for a nice candy effect. Their clear pearl however leaves a lot to be desired, the pearl effect is weak at best. Pearl midcoats seem better suited to airbrush users for best effect. One can get a decent look from layering the pearl clear between a solid and a transparent color, it just won't be quite as "pearly" as if it were a more integral part of the base coat.

Guest tonyboy

Bob,

My son uses Tamiya's Mettalic and Mica shades very often followed by Tamiya clear and has done some awsome paint jobs. He too likes to use Silver Leaf as an under/base coat for many of their paints. Many of the hobby shops in our area do not stock all of the newer colors that have come out in the last 2 years or so but have a decent selection of the standard colors. It really is great paint, almost fool proof.

as with all their products, its darn hard to beat tamiya quality. you pay, but you get what you pay for. ive pretty much forgotten about model master paints now that tamiya laquers are widely available. you can polish them in a couple days too as versus 4 weeks for your enamel like model master. and their tape: the best out there. have you ever tried their seemingly ridiculously priced paint brushes? finest i have ever used and dont fall apart!