Model Cars Magazine Forum

WILDWOOD

GrandpaMcGurk

Great start Luc.....I'd like to see more of these off the beaten path engines used in builds, the Hemi and and other conventional big block engines have become a little long in the tooth stuffed into hot rods.

BTW.......I have exploded drawings of the "real" Ferrari F-40 V-8 (internal parts also) and the the opposed cylinder V-12 (F-50 I think) along with a few photos.

I'm not saying that I'll copy all this stuff and send it to ya, because it would put me in the poor farm buying ink for my printer. But if you get stuck somewhere E or PM me and I could send you a page or two to help you out if need be.

I'll modify this TDR blower intake to match up with the ports on the F-40....

Awoodtocome001.jpg

and top it of with one of their blowers.....

Awoodtocome003.jpg

Not sure if I'll go with fuel injection or 2 fours yet.......but here's a mock-up with the mounting plate for the four barrels and the front and rear blower case ends in place.

Awoodtocome006.jpg

Think I'm going to assemble one of these TDR 4-speeds and either adapt it to the F-40 bell-housing or scratch build a custom scatter-shield / bell housing.

Awoodtocome008.jpg

Boy does that ever jog the ol' gray matter....been there many times in another life. Fruit stand, tourist trinkets, cheesy motel & restaurant.........took some serious downshifting to get thru Ha, Ha " downtown without getting a green stamp.

This what i parke at the chrome shop between ihop pancakes and gambling a walk w/ mr. jinx.. on my L.A-FLA turns. awesome work going there fellas.

don, i love the idea of a roots style blower on the ferrari motor. that will have a few ferrari purist's biting their lip!! way cool.

Hee, no doubt Dave.......they'll just have to get over it.

I going to have to really apply a size-able dose of the "fudge factor" with the pulley and belt set-up. The blower will have to be under-driven and I have to drive air cond.- power steering pumps and an alternator....belt tensioner too. What a bag of snakes. All that on a high revving engine that's under 3 litres.

Here's one of the Pocher cam belt covers....

Awooddetail001.jpg

According to the kit directions you put the cam bearing seals on the end of the cam covers and stick it in the belt cover (the back of the case remains open, probably because it's not very obvious when assembled and installed on the block).

Awooddetail002.jpg

Awooddetail003.jpg

Fortunately the trans kit had P.E. rear covers included...nice!

Awooddetail004.jpg

Awooddetail005.jpg

It's going to take me a while to drill all the holes for the teeny bolts (there's a bunch of them on this F-40) and install them with my teeny wrench..hee, hee.

Awooddetail007.jpg

Awooddetail009.jpg

I rarely read kit directions, I'm more a show me type guy so I'm I working from photos and exploded drawings of a real engine.

Awooddetail010.jpg

Awooddetail011.jpg

Exhaust is a ways off yet Ken, should be fun though.

I was sitting here ciphering on how I was going to adapt this TDR 4-speed hand shaker to the F-40 bellhousing.......

Awildign003.jpg

and decided to figure out how to spark it instead.

As you can see in the pic the stock Ferrari has coil pacs and no distributor....dunno if they are triggered by the crank, 'puter or both and don't care.

190.jpg

I'll be doing a little shade tree imagineering and use a distributor.....I'm sure by now the Ferrari purists are having fits.

On an OHV engine this would be no biggie...the cam shaft would drive the distributor and it's tucked down in the valley between the heads with a gear either on the front or back to spin the distributor.

But this is an overhead quad cam engine........oh my!!!

Cant put it in the front 'cause of the belt covers and all that paraphernalia, not to mention the roots style blower would be in the way.

So I'm going to have to mount it in rear and pick up the "drive" from one of the cams.

I started buy cobbling up some parts.

I made a base for the distributor.

Awildign005.jpg

The center of the distributor is offset to allow room for the drive gear and the bolt allows it to be rotated slighty to either advance or retard the timing.

Awildign004.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

It's getting there.......the air conditioning compressor, motor mounts, starter/solenoid, distributor etc. are on and started mocking up a power steering pump. Only a gazillion more bolts to go and I can get started on the oiling system, intake and exhaust, whoopee. Here's some pics for your amusement...... wildairetc001.jpgwildairetc003.jpgwildairetc004.jpgwildairetc006.jpgwildairetc007.jpgwildairetc008.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Air cond. compressor detailed and bolted up....

Awildtrans003.jpg

Started detailing & drilling bolt holes for the power steering pump.....

Awildtrans004.jpg

Cut the mounting ears & flange off a TDR hand shaker, notched the case to clear the F 40 bellhousing bolts, squirted some paint...still needs bolts and detailing.....

Awildtrans001.jpg

Eyeball lined up the imaginary input shaft with the crank.......here it is mocked up on the engine, works for me.

Awildtrans006.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

This is a photo of an assembled TDR tube frame that I'm using on another project.......it's way cool in that it can be ordered in sections, you can adjust the length to suit your particular build.

It comes with printed in plugs that slip inside readily available plastic tubing cut to the desired length by the builder.

Best part is that all the suspension mounts are already there and square.

Awildtrans008.jpg

Anyway, I'll only be using the front clip...you can see how it accepts tubing in the pics.

This particular example is printed in their most inexpensive medium but I'll be doing some cutting and fabricating so it'll need sanding anyway.

Awildtrans010.jpg

Awildtrans012.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Your driving me crazy with all those bolts, Don. The build is looking marvelous.

Thanks Jim, I had intended to keep track of how many of the little buggers I used in this build along with the total hours involved in it's construction......but then I started to think about how many little brass nails I needed to order for the coach work........it hurt my head so I gave that silliness up days ago.

Thank you sir.... I have a lot more fine sanding to do on the blower, carbs and intake not to mention adding another handful of bolts.....then there's belts, linkage, wiring....it just never ends. Anyway here's a few mock-up shots of the final arrangement. That little black goober on the oil pan is just a stray piece of plastic that I didn't notice when I took the pics...whew!

Awildblown006.jpg

Awildblown005.jpg

Awildblown003.jpg

Awildblown002.jpg

MORE BOLTS, detailing and started setting up the belts & wiring........I'm going to remount the distributor to place it in an upright position. That will allow me to move the engine further back in the chassis and closer to the firewall.

Here's a few update pics, I must be getting close to having this engine done because I'm running out of bolts....hee, hee.

Those black pen lines that you see in the seams are water based...when I start applying a light "weathering" wash they will dissolve somewhat and mellow out.

I've been kinda keeping track of how bad this build would beat up the piggy bank at retail $, not taking into account my time.

It's kinda scary.

I'll let you do the math but to this point there's ----------

Pocher Ferrari F40 engine kit.

Scale Details F40 engine trans kit.

TDR 4-speed trans, blower & carbs.

Paint & misc.

AF40more001.jpg

AF40more005.jpg

AF40more007.jpg

AF40more008.jpg