Model Cars Magazine Forum

Straight Line Modelers Dio

gasser59

I can't take credit for the idea and story behind this as that goes to Phil Elliott. Let me set this up. Its summer - in 1967. The setting is in the midwest the weekend before the big drag race and is set in the parking lot of a motel where the racers and crews are putting the final touches on the race cars after traveling. Some national teams have shown up as well as a bunch of local guys trying to prove themselves. There will be lots of activity going on.

The first public showing of this 4' x 8' diorama will be at the upcoming MASSCAR show on Sunday, March 16, in Taunton, Massachusetts. It won’t be completed but it will be a good representation of what it will eventually be. More items will be coming in. If you have the chance and are going to MASSCAR, stop in and say HI to Terry.

I have just a few pieces that I'm contributing including an ice machine, clamshell public phone, newspaper stand, flagpole and a Dodge C-700 ramp truck which has quite a bit to be done still. I've also done the artwork for a number of the race car's decals. I'm still working on the Mr. Norm's SuperCharger ramp truck decals.

A big thank you to Terry Sumner for taking on the dio after Phil got it going. A number of SLM members have contributed and I can't list them all so I won't even start for fear of leaving someone out..

I'll post pictures tonight of what I have done so far. Hopefully there are others on here who can post their contributions.

Here's a few photos to share. I know there's other SLM'es on here. Please post pics of your builds so I'm not the only one.

The ice machine is from Scale Modeling by Chris and comes with the decals. I made an electrical power connection for a little bit of realism.

2v2u7oJySxAhY3V.jpg

The phone is also from SMBC. I added a newspaper on top, an old style Pepsi can and a metal encased phone book..

2v2u7oE9ixAhY3V.jpg

The newspaper stand is all scratch built and the front newspaper even has a very small picture of my 'Altered Ego' Fiat and the headline reads "Local Drag Race Tomorrow." Decals for the sides and back should be here soon. Then it will be complete.

2v2u7oJzmxAhY3V.jpg

I have a few other incidentals like a toolbox, transmission parts, a '53 Ford handyman's truck that'll get some weathering, a Lincoln arc welder (yet to build) and a flagpole with fabric printed flag to contribute as well although they'll all not make it to Terry's for the MASSCAR show.

Comments welcome.

Edited by gasser59

I'm glad that Terry has become the caretaker of the the project it has always been the hope and plan that it could end up in a museum. Over the years the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing has taken a keen interest drag racing and model cars. This museum is free to to the public operates on donations drag racing fans that go to the York us 30 muslecar madness get a limo ride to museum.

Disregard my previous post I caught up my emails on the SLM list, and I see that Terry is only the temporary holder of the diorama. Phil has other plans for it. I'll keep my nose out it once again. I never opened my mouth in all these years not sure why I did now. My apologies.

John - I'm only building small parts for it. Every bit of this dio is being and has been built by members of the Straight Line Modelers group.

One day, I sincerely hope we can show it at DSC, just not this year.

Brad……it`s Spectacular…….I love it!!!!……..you guys are doing a Fabulous job.

Here's a couple more vehicles for the parking lot.

This gorgeous '55 was built by Larry Davis. Still needs its driver's side door handle.

2v2u7oK5nxAhY3V.jpg

This little gem was built By Tim P.

2v2u7oKyGxAhY3V.jpg

More pics to follow.

Edited by gasser59