Model Cars Magazine Forum

'73 AMC Javelin Super Stock

W-409

I got this one today and I started building immediately. The is is just like the AMX, not so good one so I have to do all the same modifications... This is a 2'n1 kit, you can build a Pro Stock or Stock version and there comes four stock tires where are very good whitewalls as used to be in Jo-Han kits. Also original parts are coming to the engine too, air cleaner, valve covers which will be painted, cast exhaust manifold, intake manifold and carburetor. This is Pro Stocker but I'll make this being Super Stock because in early 70's these classes were really close to each others. Lot's of work in the interior, seats are molded to floor and have to remove them. There is also the backseat and I have to ask, does Super Stock cars have backseat...? Engine seems to be the same than AMX one so I started modification work, first I used forceps, then dremel and knife. Then a bit of styrene to that hole and last some bondo. Chassis is bad, rear axle, leaf springs, propeller shaft... are molded to chassis and pipes are too!

JavelininLaatikko-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

KorissaVhnValusaumoja-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

AlustaaSaaMuokataIsollaKdell-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

SisustassaSaaLaikkaLaulaa-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

nPuolikkaatJaImusarjaLhtkohdat-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

KittiHiontaaJaDremelinti_-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I changed to Fotki. Please post pics from SS Javelins and information is welcome!

Edited by W-409

Mark, I have this same kit, and was very confused until reading your post. I knew the front end looked right, but the tail lights were off to me. Thanks for clearing that up, time to check the Modelhaus for some resin fix-ups!

Thank you all for the replies. For Mark, I think that this car has '71/'72 bumbers and rearend of the body... But that roof is like '73/'74. Now I don't know, what I must do so please help me! An other little problem... Decals I had in the box are the same ones than AMX's so there are Drag On Lady decals! Maybe a mistake at Jo-Han's shop because on the Finnish forum one guy had those Hurst decals as in the box art. I have to buy one set of them but they are very hard to find here from Finland. Davezinn, yeah, I can believe that you aren't very happy for that trade, I'm trying to keep this project going, maybe today I start modifications to the chassis and interior... Mike, post pics from your build too, I can't see these too much on the workbench!

Guest Johnny

That's true until 1971, when the AMX became a Javelin (and later, Hornet, Concord and Spirit) trim level.

Yep! It was just a trim option by 71 on the 4 place Javelin.sad.gif

That kit is a 73-74 Javelin AMX,I built the same exact kit in 83'Mine was molded in a medium blue,Johan got the molds back from AMT,In the 70's,the 73-74 Javelin was an amt kit,as was the the 70 Toronado in the usa oldies box,Both companys shared the molds back then,Any ways,to make a long story short,71-72 "T" on the roof,73-74 flat roof,and the body you have is indeed the 73-74 style,the bumpers in some of these kits came with the 73-74 rear bumper,and taillight panel,And some did not,They had the 72 rear bumper,I even had one of those kits the was molded in off white and had an orange rear spoiler!,I had over 10 of these kits at one time over the years,and they varied in colors and parts,To bad this mold is gone forever!

One other thing I forgot,The engines in these cars were painted metallic blue,not red as I have seen done in the past,the last red AMC motor was the 1966 model years,67-73 were painted metalic blue,and from 74 on they were painted Blue,close to Chrysler Engine blue!Hope this helps you with your build!

The kits were sold by AMT and JoHan, but I think it's the other way 'round regarding who did what. AMT did box and sell several JoHan kits over the years (in addition to this kit and Toronados, the '69/70 AMX, Maverick drag cars, Donohue's '71 T/A Javelin and several others made the rounds in AMT packaging) but I don't believe AMT ever had possession of the tooling. AMT sold the '74 Javelin AMX in their boxes, but JoHan did '71-4 AMX promos and kits, as well as the promo based '73/4 snap kit. I think the root of the decision was that AMT had better nationwide distribution than JoHan, and it was a way for JoHan to sell more kits in places they normally wouldn't and AMT to get more kits to market with zero investment in tooling.

I'm sure your right,I got confussed with the whole packaging deal,I was stunned when I opened up the 70 Toronado I had, and seen a white car the same as the USA OLDIES version,I wish all of those molds were still around,The Rebels the most!

Edited by spkgibson

Well, big thanks to everyone! And I say that this car is year model '73 but someone has installed '72 rear panel to it. Same modifications people are building to they 1:1 cars. But great thanks for you all!

I continued working with this also. Started building the chassis modifications, first I removed propeller shaft and exhaust pipes, then mufflers and rear axle. Last I took leaf springs off... I used Dremel and saw to remove them. It was quite hard because of that gas tank what was molded to the chassis... Gluing new patch wasn't so easy, because it's made from sheet styrene and I was afraid of that it will crack. But a bit warm and some glue... It was on the place! When all new patches were in place just some putty.

SilputtuPohja-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

EkaaKertaaKitattuPohja-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Thanks, rustybil!

Here's some more, I've painted a few parts. For the engine I used the same turquoise as with AMX but it looked like light blue... So I painted Humbroll #50 on it without any mixing it up. It was like clear green. For the intake manifold I mixed paint from Humbroll #56 and #53, quite good, I think. Tires were molded to orange plastic so I painted them with matt black. But before painting, I had to sand them very much... Texts I painted with Revell's white Emal paint.

Used these paints for engine:

istMaaleistaSyntyiMoottorinVri-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

oottoriTarvitsiOmanSekoituksen-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

jaMaalattuOmallaSekoituksella_-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

RenkaatOliMaalattavat-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Now I'm looking for old style frontrunners for this...

• 4 weeks later...

I've been thinking of building that rear end just like it was on '73/'74. It's not impossible but it's not easy to do either... :lol: That taillight panel isn't so hard to do, only those new taillinghts are a bit difficult ones. But the biggest problem for now is that Jo-Han has made the rear bumber together with the taillight panel, so I have to find a new bumber to this because I don't want to saw that bumber off. But I was looking for a good looking rear bumber from other cars and 60's Ford Mustangs had quite good rear bumber to this Javelin. I don't know, are they too or too less wide or thick ones... But guys, if you have a bumber like this, please measure out, how wide and thick is it. I looked bumber from my '71 Mustang, but it wasn't as wide as enough so I didn't take it to this car.

Guest Chris V

Modelhaus.com should have all the parts you need to convert it to a 73-74 - Parts are straight re-pops of the original kit/promo parts...

Modelhaus.com should have all the parts you need to convert it to a 73-74 - Parts are straight re-pops of the original kit/promo parts...

Yes, that's true but I'm not sure of ordering from different countries. Do Modelhaus have the hole rear end, I mean taillight panel and bumbers...?

Edited by W-409

Guest Chris V

I should think so - Don't worry about ordering from Modelhaus: I live in Denmark and have ordered from them numerous times without any problems.

The quality of their products is always first class, and they have the huge advantage compared to other casters, that they sell plated parts (bumpers, grilles etc.) so you won't have to send it out for plating or work with alclad paints to get a chrome finish...

I should think so - Don't worry about ordering from Modelhaus: I live in Denmark and have ordered from them numerous times without any problems.

The quality of their products is always first class, and they have the huge advantage compared to other casters, that they sell plated parts (bumpers, grilles etc.) so you won't have to send it out for plating or work with alclad paints to get a chrome finish...

Ok, then I might try to order with somebody here from Finland. Thanks, Chris for help!

• 1 month later...

Because it would be too expensive to order that trans kit from Modelhaus, I designed to build that '73 rearend my self. First I took a bit of styrene, that will be the taillight panel. It's quite good now. Then I took saw on my hand and right now the rear bumber and '71 taillight panel are two different parts... I bit of sanding and bumber looks good to me. After that I drew new taillights to that panel, I made and that AMC-badge on the center will be piece of styrene...Maybe. But now I have a question. Do these Javelins had black taillight panel? How about that rear bumber upside...? Badly told, but maybe you guys can see, what I mean...

This is what Jo-Han gives...

P9190290.jpg

Saw that taillight panel off from bumber. Made that piece of styrene also...

P9190293.jpg

And this is how it looks right now.

P9190294.jpg

P9190295.jpg

P9190296.jpg

P9190297.jpg

I painted a few little details to engine. Transmission is painted with Humbroll Metallic #53

P9190299.jpg

P9190300.jpg

Comments are welcome as always... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

More to come... Today I drilled the holes for taillights, I rolled the bit with my hands. When there were a small hole, I sawed holes bigger, as those taillights... Then just some finishing and it looks pretty good. I've been thinking of Toyota Corolla DX taillights for basis of this... Let's see...

PA100572.jpg

PA100571.jpg

PA100570.jpg

Feel free for comments... :)

• 4 weeks later...

Today I got decals for this one. They are now those correct ones. My kit had originally the same Drag On Lady decals than '69 AMC AMX Super Stocker has. And now I have those correct ones, that's good. They are looking very good.

PB040751.jpg

• 7 months later...