Model Cars Magazine Forum

More on the Uncertain Tee

In the most recent issue of the 'other' mag, Tim Boyd says that the tooling was indeed scrapped in the late '70's. But who knows? They completely retooled a couple of the old Tom Daniel kits- maybe the same could happen for this.

Guys....I was told this directly, in writing, by one of the most senior people at Revell Monogram, within the last 12 months.

I've known him for 35 years and he's never lied to me yet.

For what it's worth....TIM

Guys....I was told this directly, in writing, by one of the most senior people at Revell Monogram, within the last 12 months.

I've known him for 35 years and he's never lied to me yet.

For what it's worth....TIM

I will believe this man before I will believe anybody else on this forum.

I have always wanted the Uncertain-T kit. But no way would I pay the megabuck prices being asked. Besides, look at the T for what it is... a lot of (mostly) flat surfaces. I hope to scratch build a version someday. It wouldn't need to be 100% exact to please me. I have photos of the 1:1, and photos of the kit parts. The trick is to find a cowl, and forming the changing radius of the cabs rear vertical corners. Got to love the challenge, tho.

I doubt we'll see a new kit. Steve's been trying to make a living off a car he built back when he was a kid. He doesn't want to deal with RM, and he's looking for a payday so he'd be difficult to deal with for licensing. A model company could go ahead and tool it anyway, he probably doesn't have the funding to sue them, but again that would just be unpleasant.

The Tom Daniel designs were retooled because they have a much more recognition in the hobby and he's a gentleman to deal with!

Since I didn't know what the car looked like, I started Googling and found this, which shows the history of Monogram box art and the photo shoot, extensive magazine reference, plus an alternate paint job on the original, a cutaway illustration and a diagram of how a guy scratch built one.

http://www.honestcharliesplace.com/theuncertaint.htm

More here, with links.

http://www.tbucketplans.com/steve-scotts-uncertain-t/

Edited by sjordan2

The appeal begins with the story of how the car came about.then becomes very jaded and loses its lustre when you get to the personal side of Steves life. I still like the car and hope that Steve can get his life together somehow

Edited by my80malibu

I think most folks want it just because it is so hard to find. I have a few kits like that and I just bought them for the sake of having them.

Do I really need a mint, sealed MPC '67 Firebird? Not really, but I have one. Whoopie! :rolleyes:

And yes, I would probably buy one if it got retooled. I do like crazy show cars.

I think most folks want it just because it is so hard to find. I have a few kits like that and I just bought them for the sake of having them.

I'm 54 and the car was before my time. I only know it because there was a model of it. I think the appeal of a new kit would be limited since it was built such a long time ago and a very small segment of the model community will remember the car. Nor is the builder a big name like Tom Daniel or Ed Roth that people will recognize. Steve Scott did this one car so very long ago.

Indeed, if the kit was redone, I'd buy one since I think it's a cool version of a T. But I won't seek it out at big dollars.

• 3 weeks later...

Guy with an big ego built one fairly interesting car nearly 50 years ago and thinks the world owes him a living because of it. He must really be deluded if he thinks someone's going to bankroll him moving and setting up a "large shop" at his new house.

If anyone wants to give me money to move to a new house and build a large shop, i'm all ears...