Model Cars Magazine Forum

Simplicity Chopper

Mr. Metallic

Not finished, you say? Where's the "tins"? Well, look closer!

100_0837-vi.jpg

100_0838-vi.jpg

It's based on the Revell "Torch" hardtail frame. I lengthened the frame ahead of the engine and grafted in a beefier, more graceful backbone. To allow the curves of the new frame to show I decided to eliminate the typical "tins" from standard motorcycles by intigrating them into the frame to keep the overall design clean, hence "Simplicity". The gas tank was relocated to the space between the front downtubes. The oil tank is now located within the backbone. I scratchbuilt shorty exhaust pipes and other details to minimize distractions from the frame and driveline.

100_0839-vi.jpg

100_0840-vi.jpg

100_0841-vi.jpg

100_0842-vi.jpg

100_0843-vi.jpg

And that's it. It is a pretty basic buildup of the excellent revell kit aside from the frame mods. As always, comments and questions are welcome, and feel free to drop by my Fotki site for more pics.

http://public.fotki.com/crstan/finished_mo...licity-chopper/

Very, Very Cool Design! Let me guess... The rear fender is an aircraft canopy? Great colors, also, keeping it very minimalist.

Yes, the rear fender is two aircraft canopies glued together. I went thru several different designs to solve my rear fender problem, and then it just kind of hit me. The color is Tamiya clear orange over white.

THat's sooooo cool. I'd love to know how you made the handle bars...did you use solder ?

The handle bars are actually Evergreen styrene tubing. I inserted a matching diameter peice of brass rod into the tubing and then SLOWLY applied pressure to make the bend. Next time I think I will heat up the plastic so it bends better. I then driller bigger holes into the kit hand grips and inserted the new bars. Thanks for looking.