Model Cars Magazine Forum

Drag Radials?!

Hi all, just curious what kind of interest there is some scale drag radials cast in soft rubber? I'm working on the master now and the inspiration is this Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial version. I may have a couple different sizes in the pipeline. Finished piece and how to get 'em coming soon!

et_street_radial_a.jpg

I'd be interested if the price was right and the product was good. I know that's a gaping hole in the aftermarket, because the only drag radials I can think of are the old Goodyear Blue Streaks in the AMT kits, which I've never seen in 1:1 on anything. Usually any 1:1 I see on drag radials is on Mickey Thompsons or Nittos, with the occasional BFG thrown in.

i would love to get my greedy little hands on a few of these

specially if you would be able to make these in a package deal being fronts, backs and irons

hopefully once the wifey starts making some moneys next month (after 8 years of college) i can actually make some room for this kind of stuff in my budget

im really excited about the idea of these being cast in soft rubber

HUGE hole in the market in regards to these tires! the issue slightly is that it's a very niche market as far as model builders go.

one of the things though that i was going to mention that ithought a good idea for you to include in your upcoming product line :D one set i think should be mastered off the older Monogram Goodyear Nascar slicks as that size makes for an about perfect scale 10.5" tire that will work on alot of projects that would use this type of tire. i do think there could be an interest as well in a size that would fit a bigger diameter wheel like a scale 17-18" and be used on cars like late model Mustangs, Camaro's, Corvette's and such.

Dave

Dave, that is exactly one of the tires that is serving as the basis for a master. :D Should be no problem at all to make a master to fit a bigger diameter wheel for some late model performance.

More news coming soon! Thanks fella's

I'd definitely order at least a half dozen pairs of accurate DRs. Like Jeff, most of my current projects are 10.5 or DR cars - more would be DR cars if the tires were available. I've been hoarding a few sets of the old Satco tires that are kinda/sorta similar to drag radials, but they're only close.

I agree with Dave, but not only is there a big hole in the market for these tires, but there are big holes for almost all modern doorslammer racecar parts. The closest thing to a modern door car is probably the 15-year old Revell pro stock kits. That's a shame because 10.5/drag radial racing is incredibly exciting to watch, not to mention participate.

As they say, RTCTTFMF!

Hi all, just curious what kind of interest there is some scale drag radials cast in soft rubber? I'm working on the master now and the inspiration is this Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial version. I may have a couple different sizes in the pipeline. Finished piece and how to get 'em coming soon!

et_street_radial_a.jpg

Mike,

Make it happen, if the quality is there, so will my money.....

• 3 months later...

I have several projects those would be great for. If you scaled them to be close to a 28x10.5x15 I think they would sell big time! Tons of applications out there these would look right on.

Two other tires that would be easier to replicate are the M/T Streets or Hoosier Quick Time Pros...those only have a couple of straight grooves for the tread, no patterns.

Sorry guys for the delays, I got involved in some other items and had a couple issues with my first couple masters but these or something similar are still in the works and I should be getting back to the workbench soon. Thanks for following along and your patience. :lol: