Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T classic

Mr mopar

I have found with a little (read that a lot) of careful sanding & patience this piece can be made indistinguishable from the Revell part, but you must install the part before starting to shape it. This results in a tedious job of installing the chassis when doing final assembly, but it really isn't that bad but the results are worth it.

Can someone explain what is wrong with the front bumper?

The front bumper has a huge gap where it meets the wheel opening, to accept a completely out of scale upright piece that is molded to the chin spoiler. SRT-8's have a very thin blade of black plastic there, R/T's do not. Someone at AMT wasn't paying very good attention to detail in this area. The piece on the model is probably nearly as thick as the piece on the 1:1 car. Easy fix...cut off the offending upright pieces, glue them to the bumpers, sand smooth, and paint them body color so that big black "gap" is gone. On a review model where I stuck to "OOB", I masked/painted the upright R/T filler body color so that gap wasn't nearly as evident.

Having the R/T Classic and SRT-8 wheels done as 18's instead of 20's...seriously :lol:

I mean seriously...they could have accommodated the other way around...made all the wheels, SRT-8, R/T, and Classic...as 20's...nobody would have complained, all models would have looked excellent. But someone who clearly isn't an enthusiast made the wheel size decision on the Challengers... B) Otherwise, nice kit.

The Revell kit is better in this area, for anyone really put off by it and doesn't want to fix it.

That and..."What Bob Said" :lol:

:lol:

The Revell kit is fantastic. Aside from generic tires with too much sidewall. Thanks to greedy Goodyear, we have lousy kit tires and I'll never, ever put a Goodyear product on any of my vehicles ;)

Interesting that Revell tooled up SRT-8 Magnum and Challenger; doesn't give them the usual room to make variations on a theme.

The big gripe with the way AMT did the front chin spoiler isn't really a problem with the kit, per se. But most builders simply paint the entire thing dark gray, and from certain angles, the front bumper looks like it has a big chunk missing out of it, because its color blends in with the wheel opening.

Interesting that Revell tooled up SRT-8 Magnum and Challenger; doesn't give them the usual room to make variations on a theme.

Idiotic question, I'm not even close to being an expert on late model Mopars- but what would be so difficult to convert the existing SRT-8 kits into the R/T versions? Other than 're-dressing' the 6.1 into a 5.7, adding different wheels and a different front fascia, what else would there be to it?

Idiotic question, I'm not even close to being an expert on late model Mopars- but what would be so difficult to convert the existing SRT-8 kits into the R/T versions? Other than 're-dressing' the 6.1 into a 5.7, adding different wheels and a different front fascia, what else would there be to it?

I'm sure it could be done, and as modified reissues go, that's not a lot. They sort of paint themselves into a corner sometimes by doing the top trim level, like the SRT-8, or the '99 Mustang Cobra. There were more (and more popular) variations of the "volume" pony cars aka the Challenger R/T and Mustang GT. No way I'd buy AMT's 2010 Challenger "Classic" knowing they wasted their time and mine by tooling up 20" wheels in a scale 18". If Revell were to do the R/T Classic, I'd likely buy at least a couple. There are enough stripe/wheel options for R/T's that it seems that would be the most logical version to sell in 1/25 scale.

I'm sure that in the spirit of capitalism Chrysler will issue some cool paint-n-trim limited SRT-8s also, so hopefully Revell will see fit to kit one when they do.

Like the Mopar '10 Challenger?:

dodge-challenger-mopar-2010.jpg

On the subject of top-of-the-line models vs. lower-line versions, I think what Revell has been doing this for a loooong time. Most people don't want a '69 Camaro Sport Coupe, a '79 Mustang 2.8L notchback coupe, nor a '10 Challanger SE, so I doubt we'll see the lesser trim levels, especially with the Challenger possibly getting updated within the next few years.

Edited by Casey

I do agree with you, Casey, but in the case of the Magnum, I think the base model looks way cooler than the R/T and SRT models, just because it doesn't have the blinding polished wheels and chromed headlamp housings. Give me the satin-finish wheels and blacked out headlamps any ol' day of the week, thanks! :) I could do without the 2.7 liter V6, however, and I think most modelers would, too!

Guest Sickfish

Just to mix this up a little... Doe's anyone know IF Revell have plans to make the new 2011 Charger?? I would buy @ least a dozen of these... Which is 10 more than I bought of the current kit .... This is THEE Charger Chryco should've brought out years ago... & would look stunning as a 2 door ... & that would be @ least my 2nd build ... When/if someone brings it out 

Cheers Cliffo.

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard nothing of an '11 Charger from Revell. My money would be on Lindberg modifying their existing Charger kit into one. I think the only Charger Revell has is the 'Uptown' version.

Chuck, with Lindberg's future currently unknown, I'd tend to doubt there would be tooling money to be spent on an '11 Charger. Last I heard is that the company was up for sale. Would be nice to have a healthy Lindberg spending tooling money though.

The 2011 Charger has too many changes just to be modified. If anything, we'll be lucky to see a kit in 2014 as the next upgrade rolls in lol. We better tho. As they are still going into police duty. New Caprice and Tauruses too!!

I bought this today just because of the box art ....Love it so glad round 2 stepped up :D

That's the way I use to do it when I was a kid, if it looked cool I bought it.I am so glad they started making good box art again.

DSC00207.jpg

I'm with ya Walt. I can't tell you how many old kits I have in my collection because of the box art, alone! :lol: My latest infatuation has been the old 70's custom van kits. The box art is 'far out', man. !!

amt-xtasy1.jpg

Mike