Model Cars Magazine Forum

1932 Ford Pro Street Chassis.

Hey Guys.

This is something I have been working on for several months now. It was mastered from the Revell 1:25 scale 1932 Ford Chassis. Once complete, this will fit under any of the 1:25 scale Revell 32 Ford kits. Most of the construction is complete, I just have to add the rear spreader bar and concentrate on the surface finish, which will take considerably longer due to a broken wrist.

PB160276_zps03d35cd7.jpg

Edited by fractalign

The basic unit will consist of a tubular engine mount, a pair of cross members, a set of integrated coil over four bar links and a tubbed set of fenders.

Here is the assembled setup, minus the tubbed fenders. The nine inch rear features a separate quick change rear and an adjustable track. Although they are not shown, the rotor/flanges are one piece units that can be moved inboard or outboard according to tyre width. They simply slide onto the end of the diff housing. As a result the diff itself can be made into a pro street unit or remain standard.

PB160277_zps6130a9d4.jpg

Edited by fractalign

The final image shows how the unit sits under the Revell 32 5 window body. There is still quite a bit of finishing to do on these fenders but once complete they should sit flush with any Revell 32 body. I have several other Revell 32 bodies that I am also using to test fit these fenders. Once I have cast up a few and I am happy with the finish I will be marketing them under the title "Rails In Resin" These will be the first in a range of pre 49, Pro Street based chassis kits. Once these are complete I will be moving onto finishing off a 33 Willys chassis and a 40 Ford Chassis.

PB160287_zps6e424ef6.jpg

Edited by fractalign

Hey Guys.

These are the final photos of the chassis. Next time you see it it will be as a finished resin kit. Anyway most of the construction is done and these photos show some things that were left out previously. The two channels in the cross members are to hold the the exhaust system in place.

PB180290_zps70e6cad8.jpg

Edited by fractalign

The other thing I mentioned in the previous post was the adjustable track 9 inch rear end. The first image shows the rotor moved inward

for a pro street or competition set of wheels.

PB180294_zps5cd3a0b7.jpg

The second image shows the rotor moved outward for a standard street type configuration. Because the rotor and flange are one piece it slides easily in either direction. Because the diff housing is free of air bags and shock mounts, there is nothing to affect the adjustment of the track. The four bar assembly and coil over are one piece units as well so they can be moved accordingly as well. I have also created another rear end with a fixed track that will use the same four bar assemblies and quick change as this one. Both rear ends will be the mainstay of the "Rods in Resin" range of pre 49 curb side kits that will be launched in the new year.

PB180292_zpsbf0034aa.jpg

Edited by fractalign

Hey Bob.

I won't be selling through the Facebook page, that is only to showcase the products.

I am actually putting together a website together at the moment, I have already starting working on the homepage. The website will go under the name "Rods in Resin" Because I have never put a website together its slow going at the moment, I have to make sure all the information is correct before I publish it.

When the chassis is ready to launch I will put it back up on this thread with all the information about how it can be ordered including a link to the website and another to the Rails in Resin email as well. The email will be the main way to order it. When you send me a request I can email you back an E catalogue.

The catalogue will have an order form at the end that can be printed and filled out, scanned and emailed back to me or else you can reply back directly with your request for the chassis. As each model and component is completed I will add a production number to it. Just quote the number and i will know what you want.

Cheers !

Looks like a good project - it would certainly save people some time. Took me quite a while to do all the converting on my '32 prostreet pickup!

32ProstreetCompletedPic13c_zpsb82b2fa5.j

I'd be interested - the other subjects you have in mind will prove popular as well.

Hey Jim.

I followed your build with great interest. I can't recall seeing another 32 pro street build on the forum before. Your's is certainly a stand out !

Thanks for the comment on my '32 pro street - its a build that was started in 2011 but got the motivation to finish it for our pickup theme on our SIG table at Scale Model World.

I used three sets of fenders to get the wide arches at the back - if you're interested I'll get some pictures up if you would like to do a similar thing for your project. These fenders restrict the tyre size - but the ones from the Revell Willys Street Rod kit go in nicely. If you wanted larger wheels it would mean fabbing larger fenders and wheel wells on the body.

These are the final photos of the chassis. Next time you see it it will be as a finished resin kit.

As in, all the finishing work is done and this is the finished master? I hope that's not the case, as there appear to be several areas which still need finishing, as pointed out by the arrows below. It's entirely your business to sell whatever you want, however you want, but being honest, I think your final product would be greatly improved if more time was spent finishing the master, eliminating any joints which shouldn't be present, glue smears, and rough puttied areas, and flattening and truing/squaring up the frame rails and cross members.

As in, all the finishing work is done and this is the finished master? I hope that's not the case, as there appear to be several areas which still need finishing, as pointed out by the arrows below. It's entirely your business to sell whatever you want, however you want, but being honest, I think your final product would be greatly improved if more time was spent finishing the master, eliminating any joints which shouldn't be present, glue smears, and rough puttied areas, and flattening and truing/squaring up the frame rails and cross members.

Hey Casey.

I said these were the final photos of the chassis because I am not putting any more photo's of the master up. In my opening thread I also mention that I still had the surface finishing to do, as in the filling and sanding. These are construction shots and I am sorry if you overlooked that fact. I never said that the chassis is finished, what I did say was that all the major construction is complete, as in the cross members and the narrowed rear rails. With limited movement in my right hand at the moment, completing the surface finishing is taking longer than it normally would. Please understand that having recently had a car accident and ending up with a broken wrist I am presented with new challenges especially with my arm in a cast. However I intend to get every surface and join to sit flush. I am also have some other modellers to looking at the finished chassis before I launch it on the forum. So you can rest assured that when it goes up on the forum it will be finished.

Edited by fractalign

If you are going to offer a quick change rear end, you need the correct housing. The Ford nine inch and quick change rear ends are totally different. You can do one or the other. But, not the two combined. I would suggest doing some research on the two.

Thanks for the feedback Roger.

I will certainly do some research, I really like the quick change, so I may end up making a new housing for it. I already have something in mind.

Cheers !

Thanks for the comment on my '32 pro street - its a build that was started in 2011 but got the motivation to finish it for our pickup theme on our SIG table at Scale Model World.

I used three sets of fenders to get the wide arches at the back - if you're interested I'll get some pictures up if you would like to do a similar thing for your project. These fenders restrict the tyre size - but the ones from the Revell Willys Street Rod kit go in nicely. If you wanted larger wheels it would mean fabbing larger fenders and wheel wells on the body.

Thanks for the offer Jim but I took a much simpler approach.

The 32 fenders were widened and the wheel tubs were incorporated into the fenders. They are one and the same unit. Once I had completed the tubbed fenders I used a piece of styrene to join the two sides. The fenders are actually a single unit that sits flush over the top of the chassis.

Once I have completed the chassis and cast it I will put up some photos of the finished unit with a few different body combinations.

Cheers !