Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tweedy Pie parts

Dave

My brother bought me this kit over the weekend... why I have no idea, but it was a nice gesture, and it's one I've wanted for a while. The purple was custom mixed for the car by its orignal builder, and was called 'Royal Triton Purple'. I'm kind of wondering if one of those Testors One Coat purples might be a close enough match. Only thing is- the One Coats are metallic, and I'm not sure about the real Tweedy Pie- in some photos it looks like the paint is metallic, and in other photos it looks like a solid color.

My brother bought me this kit over the weekend... why I have no idea, but it was a nice gesture, and it's one I've wanted for a while. The purple was custom mixed for the car by its orignal builder, and was called 'Royal Triton Purple'. I'm kind of wondering if one of those Testors One Coat purples might be a close enough match. Only thing is- the One Coats are metallic, and I'm not sure about the real Tweedy Pie- in some photos it looks like the paint is metallic, and in other photos it looks like a solid color.

Chuck, the real Tweedy Pie was painted Candy Purple, not metallic purple. HoK's candy purple is very close.

Are the carburetors molded nicely in this kit or are there ejection pin marks on them ?

I don't see any. I bought this kit because my original issue kit is missing some parts, including the carburetors. So, I haven't got originals to compare to, but the new ones look good. The ejector pin marks are on little tabs that have to be trimmed off, two on each carb. One tab is attached to the intake horn (near the bottom, on the back) and the other tab is attached to the lower front part of the carburetor. The intake horns are partially hollowed out in the style of recent Revell exhaust pipe ends. I'd bet these are better than the original parts.

In my opinion, the Tweedy Pie has a great front axle, spindles, and spring. They are vintage Revell, so cleanup and such is a necessity. But, it's a beautiful dropped beam with a nice pair of split-wishbone radius rods. The frame will take some time to remove the seams, fill and sand. But, again, that is vintage Revell. The banjo rear is a problem. The mold was misaligned in every release that I have of the kit. And, I own at least one of every way this was kitted. However, with some work, the rear end from a S-W-C kit can be installed. It JUST fits, and would have been far stronger than the original. Remember though, that this is an early street rod. No need for a four-speed or a "quickie" rear end. Ed liked the car and it's my second favorite T Bucket of all time. Norm's Kookie T is third, by the way. March 1966 HRM has a T in it that is perfect, to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Are the carburetors molded nicely in this kit or are there ejection pin marks on them ?

If you ask me, the carbs are a major selling point for the kit. VERY nicely done, and well molded. There might be some ejector pin marks on them, but if there are, they're faint on mine.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

As long as this thread came up again, I thought I'd add some info from a link I posted in General the other day. Those who live in the L.A. area can see Tweedy Pie at Galpin Motor Sports, a custom shop, along with other Roth creations.

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/autos/2013/03/01/ed-roth-cars/index.html?source=cnn_bin

Picture2-2_zpsdb5d9426.png

Here's a review of the history of the kit:

http://www.scalemodelnews.com/2013/01/125-scale-tweedy-pie-ford-model-t.html

Edited by sjordan2

Can anyone tell me what R & M parts are available for the Tweedy Pie? I am a real fan of the stuff Norm does.

The Tweedy Pie is up next for me.

I just took a quick look through the most recent R & M catalog that I have (2011) and I don't see the Tweedy Pie parts listed anymore, but as you may know, it's a big rambling document. The best thing to do is probably to contact Norm and ask him.

I just took a quick look through the most recent R & M catalog that I have (2011) and I don't see the Tweedy Pie parts listed anymore, but as you may know, it's a big rambling document. The best thing to do is probably to contact Norm and ask him.

That is a great idea. I think it is his W8 wheel set but maybe there is more.

joe.

I managed to dig out the instruction sheet and parts list that came witht the R&M trans-kit:

RMTweedyPieparts-vi.jpg

As you can see, it's quite a few parts, but many of these have probably been restored and are contained in the current Revell version. Keep in mind that none of these parts are chrome plated - I sent mine out to ChromeTech when I built this almost ten years ago. It also came with an annotated copy of the original instructions and a couple of pages on how to use all those parts.

One cool thing about the R&M kit is that it allows you to build the car in a few different configurations - I built mine as the early Roth version.

TweedyLRhigher-vi.jpg

• 4 years later...
On 4/27/2012 at 11:00 PM, RancheroSteve said:

Great to see this kit restored to its original configuration after all this time - especially the box art, which is one of my favorites.

TweedyPie-vi.jpg

I went to the trouble of building a Tweedy Pie a few years ago, which entailed suplementing the version available at the time with the trans kit from R&M and having to send parts out to be plated, finding the right wheels and tires, etc. All in all, a pretty expensive proposition, but worth it all the same. I love that little hot rod!

TweedyLRhigher-vi.jpg

TweedyRF-vi.jpg

I just picked up the new kit and it doesn't  seem to include the chrome band going around the right side of the tank. Did you scratch build it or did it come in the RM kit?