Model Cars Magazine Forum

sorry another question.

how do u open up doors trunks etc? with an exacto? and 2nd what do i make the hinges out of to make them like the real cars? sorry for all the questions but u guys got me all inspired to try and do this to a model! thanks again jeryd

I have opened doors and trunks by scribing with the back of an X-acto knife, but due tho the thickness of the blade you can end up with a door gap that is a bit too large. Straight lines are not all that bad, but curved sections can be a bit trickier. I have solved that by simply gluing in thin strips of Evergreen to close the gaps, but some people use two bodies, cut the openings in one body and cut the doors from the other body. That way you can get any gap you want without having to fill. Another method, which I haven't tried yet, is to rub your way through with a nylon string. I saw a thread about this a while ago, but haven't been able to find it again. Any way you do it will be tedious, but not all that difficult.

As far as the door hinges go, there are several aspects of "realistic": They can look like real car hinges, and/or they can pivot like real car hinges. To get a 100% realistic look, you'll also have to build realistic door jambs, so this can get just as involved as you want it to be. IMO, this is probably one of the more frustrating things you can get into, and I'd say that it takes both skills, patience and an extensive vocabulary to pull it off. Here's a very good thread by Mr Obsessive that shows how it can be done: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3269

Trunks are a bit easier, but still require a lot of work. Here is an old picture of a '61 Impala where I opened up the trunk, thinned down the edges of the trunk lid and added bracing, built a drip rail, non-working hinges etc. This is one of many projects that rest in their boxes because they got more involved than I planned to begin with... :roll:

trunk1sz8.jpg